A Story About A Hallucinatory Girl Following Me Around - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Group Leader
In the TL, FMC finally recognizes the mirror. In the raws, FMC outright recognizes that it's her. The furigana used when referring to the hallucination actually say "Me" (They're not always used to tell you how to read the kanji). So she clearly understands what she's looking at now.

They're talking about Chapter 4. You know, where she goes to the psychiatrist (The translation isn't "Doctor", it's "Psychiatrist"), tells them it's a Recognizable Hallucination (The one where she knows it's a hallucination) The doctor saw her talking to the mirror like an actual person, and decided it was "Unrecognizable" instead, and thinks "Naw, it'll be fine". Which is what he's apologizing for now: He never thought she'd get herself run over because of it, since it's apparently the less concerning kind of hallucination.

You know, I was perfectly willing not to actually translate the raws myself and just point out that you read too much into a single scene, but if you want all the dialogue's nuances explained, then so be it.

Hate?
Damn you for being right! Even if you're right only because you used a different source to defend your points, when I was only referencing the translation, however wrong it is. That's what people refer to when talking on a forum that's linked directly to the translation. But all right.

Just read the actual raws and the points you bring up are true. The TL messes up real hard the part about the doctor, making it into what I was describing.

Though, in the TL, the part where she sees herself in the mirror I actually understood as her recognising herself, not that she just noticed that the hallucinatory girl is in the mirror. I reckon both are intended to be conveyed by how it's in Japanese anyway.

Funnily enough, none of your criticisms actually make the interpretation that she's still hallucinating impossible. Only thing you've proven is that there's no proof she's still hallucinating, not that there's proof she's no longer hallucinating. The triple mirror thing could either be that, or it could be a mirror on a wall. Nothing says droplets can't stick to walls.

At this point, it's back to being a scene up to personal interpretation, and both of our interpretations are valid. I just personally like what her still hallucinating means.

On that point, reading the raws I saw another part that was lost in translation. The last おはよ、ends in a comma, which could mean some things...but I'll leave it at that.

I ended up liking the Japanese version more, so thanks for making me aware of the differences.

This situation made me reconsider reading translations ever again. I'm fairly good at reading Japanese, but the occasional word I don't know is what makes me read translations when I just want to relax after a shit day. At this point, I might just bite the bullet and read everything in Japanese. Except the convenience of having it all on MangaDex has me stuck here. :/

Damn you for being right! Even if you're right only because you used a different source to defend your points, when I was only referencing the translation, however wrong it is. That's what people refer to when talking on a forum that's linked directly to the translation. But all right.
I feel like you could have figured out most of this even without the raws.
Just read the actual raws and the points you bring up are true. The TL messes up real hard the part about the doctor, making it into what I was describing.
Yeah, a bad translation doesn't help the situation at all. It's not the reader's job to see through butchered dialogue to piece together the story. Really, this is the issue with bad TL's in the first place: You're not actually reading the author's story, you're reading the TL's fanfic.
Though, in the TL, the part where she sees herself in the mirror I actually understood as her recognising herself, not that she just noticed that the hallucinatory girl is in the mirror. I reckon both are intended to be conveyed by how it's in Japanese anyway.
Still some sloppy work, I think we can agree. The source uses Japanese writing conventions to explicitly clarify the subtext, while in English, it's left up to reader interpretation. With the bad "doctor" bit that came up later, you can easily be swayed away from the "she knows it's her" interpretation due to the bad translation.
Only thing you've proven is that there's no proof she's still hallucinating, not that there's proof she's no longer hallucinating
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. We also haven't proven that she's not currently in The Matrix.
This situation made me reconsider reading translations ever again. I'm fairly good at reading Japanese, but the occasional word I don't know is what makes me read translations when I just want to relax after a shit day. At this point, I might just bite the bullet and read everything in Japanese. Except the convenience of having it all on MangaDex has me stuck here. :/
I know exactly what you mean. My compromise has been to just check the raws if there's ever a line that feels out of place. Half the time, it's just a phrasing issue. But the other half, we have the TL outright making shit up. Hell, all of my uploads are just me correcting work done by TL's who think they're second authors.

On the bright side, once you know who makes up lines, you can safely either ignore their work, or check the raws while reading. It's usually really obvious what they made up when you check.
A good twist for once?!?!???
Not if you think about it.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, what a twist. I was expecting something where the guy turned out to be an illusion too, but damn.

This was weird in a good way. To agree with the person I saw a few pages back, I appreciate sympathetic (if not per se "realistic") depictions of the mentally ill as someone who has delusional episodes.

On a related note; this guy seems to write a lot of stuff like this? Interested to dive into the back catalog.

This was weird in a good way. To agree with the person I saw a few pages back, I appreciate sympathetic (if not per se "realistic") depictions of the mentally ill as someone who has delusional episodes.

On a related note; this guy seems to write a lot of stuff like this? Interested to dive into the back catalog.
It's not a "realistic depiction of mental illness" because it's not mental illness.

Wait, so she wasn't just hallucinating, but she had amnesia thinking she was a man?

You mean to tell me she has never gone to the bathroom that whole time and wondered why she has a pussy instead of a dick?

I don't know, I could almost see the twist was for the shock factor, but when you think about it afterward, you kind of don't believe it. It's kind of stupid, even.

Giving this a low score for that poor ending.
I think you are forgetting the part of severe head trauma. You go get hit by a car and see how you make sense of the world then

"Are you telling me someone with brain damage is doing stuff that makes no sense? What an unrealistic idea!"

Next you will tell me that being blind is no excuse for not being able to tell pink from blue

Dex-chan lover
:geek:Wait, so she wasn't just hallucinating, but she had amnesia thinking she was a man?

You mean to tell me she has never gone to the bathroom that whole time and wondered why she has a pussy instead of a dick?

I don't know, I could almost see the twist was for the shock factor, but when you think about it afterward, you kind of don't believe it. It's kind of stupid, even.

Broda, She is not saw thing so you can't really check it like you have a enemy use ilussion on you or something. If it so she should have able to see that girl is in a mirror. But she don't she think that girl is always beside her, with full body and all.
Because it is the brain of yourself that make you think you see thing.
She think she is a man, and think she talk to someone else. She have conversation of two people with herself.
The brain will try to fill in whatever it need and create a story on it own in a lot of case with brain damage and memories loss.
This is not that far off how the brain work actually. Trust me, watch a little bit of doctor film alright :geek:

Wait, so she wasn't just hallucinating, but she had amnesia thinking she was a man?

Maybe none of that even popped into her head since it was 2nd nature and the most concerning problem was the hallucination and since she was so focused on it she didn't think about anything else enough to "break the spell".

Dex-chan lover
Having seen my dad have a major depressive episode where he literally hallucinated that God was talking to him through a television screen, its really not that far-fetched. Applying reason to the unreasonable is kinda ridiculous, but im not surprised by the ignorance around mental illness.

Dex-chan lover
This is weirder than the angel one...like, for real, she didn't pee for a couple of days? Didn't shower? Didn't hear her voice being feminine while talking with anyone? Her friends never told her "girl, are you ok?"? Nor the doctor?
It's cool that she loves herself, but there are too many convenient points to hold the story and create the plot twist that don't make any sense
If you’re able to hallucinate another person then you can hallucinate a dick.

Users who are viewing this thread