A Sword Master Childhood Friend Power Harassed Me Harshly, so I Broke off Our Relationship and Made a Fresh Start at the Frontier as a Magic Swordsma…

I'm a bit peeved by the part where the author tries to make the mc a bit like a paragon of justice when the mage girl cuts herself to show off how healing magic works well aside from that I'm still rooting for the mc to get past the trauma he got from the very toxic relationship he was in before

@Ace435

Okay, that's a fair point. I do agree with it generally when it comes to idiom and phrases. However, the words in question are names. As the examples I cited, localising names is bad translation behaviour in my opinion.

Besides, calling someone Flint when their name is Flick, is like calling an orange a tangerine, very similar but still different. At this point, you may as well write your own story (exaggeration).

Dex-chan lover
Page 20 is very confusing to me. What is she trying to make him join, despite being disgusted by him?

Dex-chan lover
@feha - it's obvious. She's making him join the training so that she can beat him up.

I think... the name "Flick" should be "Frick".
I think the author uses European names such as Noel(a) and Lloyd.

But hey... it is translator freedom

Dex-chan lover
@flannan ooh, that makes sense. I was thinking that a line of his (about making her join the knights) might have been misplaced (by author, as he interrupted himself in this case. That kind of thing doesnt happen as a tl-error), but your idea resolves without any errors having to take place, so thats more likely.

@ravlen i don't think there's anything wrong with him being against someone injuring themselves for the sake of demonstrating something. (he probably reacted that way BECAUSE of his past relationship if anything)

Dex-chan lover
@azorth
Your convictions are not wrong. Especially if your goal is to encourage and promote Japanese culture. As some comments said here: they'd prefer "ara ara" instead of "oh my," and there are references to tsundere among other things. People are here because they love the very things you're talking about.

I, too, believed at one point that the words presented by the original author was the only acceptable interpretation. The Japanese written names and words are the originals, and to pay respect to them, they should be translated as exactly as possible.

But then I got old, and realized being so strict cut both myself and others off from a lot of potential understanding and enjoyment. Every civilization has its own culture. Even in this era of globalization, there are still aspects unique to each country, culture, and region. While it would be possible to "localize out" the entire original culture ( https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/culture-schlock ) I believe that's just as much of a mistake as sacrificing understanding in the destination culture to preserve as much of the original as possible.

The reason translation is also called "localization" is because not just words, but some aspects of culture or thinking have their own parallels in the destination language. There are a lot of things that don't literally translate, culturally, and I believe the goal of most translators is to convey the intent of the original into an understandable and enjoyable form in the destination language. To maximize understanding and enjoyment, be it through explanatory footnotes, modified translations, or other unique tricks and changes.

In the end, always consider your goals. What it is you hope to accomplish, and what is the best you can do that. As long as your actions are true to your convictions, I will have no complaints.

@FStubbs as the novel goes on she at least gets better in that she's reflecting on how she acted enough to start understanding WHY finn/flick left... of course she's still trying to dance around the possibility of it being her fault.

@kevinmul

You said it. I googled the name before and I said Frick may be it, as in short for Frederick in Germany. The first translator started with Frick too, but apparently there was a backlash because frick is also an euphemism for f*ck. I had to compromise to Flick here. sigh

@Stickman

Thanks for your response, and it seems we are in agreement here. Your original post was talking about keeping Flint instead of following the original intended name of Flink/Frick, which was what I disagreed about.

Dex-chan lover
While there are a lot of things about this manga that are middling, I do appreciate how it presents Flick's and Alfine's toxic relationship. Like when Alfine thinks about how much Flick pushed himself during their bouts, she visualizes him puking while tears run down his face. But when we next see Flick, he is waking up from a nightmare, that same image burned into his mind as he heaves into the sink. For Alfine, that image is a symbol of strength. For Flick, it's a sign of weakness.

I dunno, it's just nice to see a mostly average manga do more with its premise than other manga like it would.

Thanks for the update, please continue translating this manga really love it. Thank you translators can't wait for the next update.

@azorth

You said it. I googled the name before and I said Frick may be it, as in short for Frederick in Germany. The first translator started with Frick too, but apparently there was a backlash because frick is also an euphemism for f*ck. I had to compromise to Flick here. sigh

When you spell out his name with an all caps font, it still looks like 'F*CK'

Users who are viewing this thread