Accounts compromised via phishing sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
We've experienced a flood of old and new accounts being compromised and having their avatars and descriptions changed to spam/dangerous links.

The data does not appear to have come from us, but rather from people entering their details into one of the many phishing sites pretending to be us - most likely during one of our recent downtimes.

As a temporary measure a large number of accounts have been banned. If you are one of the people affected you will need to come onto our Discord and PM ixlone for help unbanning your account.

We can not stress enough the importance of checking the site name you are entering your details into for ANY site, not just ours. Also, we'd encourage you to use two factor authentication where possible to keep accounts safe. Which we have available: 2FA guide.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I'm Captain Basch fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca

Don't believe 02's lies

and click on shady links

On a more serious note: Just because your account didn't get banned yet doesn't mean you're definitely in the clear, it might just be that the attacker didn't use your account yet. 2FA is strongly recommended.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
It is also recommended that you verify the identity of someone who has sent you a friend request.

Do not, under any circumstance, accept a friend request from someone that you don't know.

MD@Home
Case in point, I got a friend request from one.
P76q.png

Miku best girl
Admin
Actually, the number of accounts compromised isn't that many - it amounts to 0.1% of accounts (that we could identify).

thanks i received a friend request earlier, weird profile pic with a link on the description, glad to see it's banned now

Double-page supporter
I got that friend request as well. I rejected it cause no one sends it to introvert.

Double-page supporter
Oof, accepted my first friend request on this site then went to check their profile to find out they were banned and instantly came to the forums with a hunch as to what happened.

Dex-chan lover
Do not, under any circumstance, accept a friend request from someone that you don't know.

You just single-handedly destroyed the whole logic behind Facebook's raison d'être.

Thank God I didn't accept that request I got in the morning with the same description of that link 😥

I got sent a fake one. Instantly denied it. Hope this gets settled with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread