Akatsuki no Yona - Ch. 256 - The one who wishes to live, and the one who pleads to die

It had completely slipped my mind that the dragons aren't the same as the people they inhabit. I never considered Zeno as separate from the yellow dragon even though it was previously stated as such that the warriors were granted the blood.

Dex-chan lover
The Yellow Dragon really went: "lol, nope, you're alive now."
My guess from a few chapters back ended up being correct, just not in the way I anticipated. XD

But could someone please explain page 14, panel 1 for me? I'm lost.

Dex-chan lover
No surprise that Zeno wouldn't die. It's now only a question of what his next goal is. At this point, it's likely that the other three dragons can be saved as well, however it'll have to be done before Zeno makes his next move, which I'm guessing will either be to kill Yona or have Yona kill him with the sword. Either way, it'll probably lead to the confrontation between him and Hak that Yona saw in her dream.

Dex-chan lover
At this point, it's likely that the other three dragons can be saved as well, however it'll have to be done before Zeno makes his next move, which I'm guessing will either be to kill Yona or have Yona kill him with the sword.
I think the latter would be the most likely. We have just been reminded that the Dragon Warriors have very close ties with their "benefactors", who are dead set on protecting Hiryuu and subsequently Yona.

OKAY my thought is: Zeno thinks that when Hiryuu pointed the sword at him, it was a prediction of some sort: that the Crimson Dragon king himself will have to kill Zeno with the sword in order for him to die. Now Zeno has motive to hurt Hak so that YONA will have motive to stab him in vengeance. (Which... not happening. At least I don't think so.)

Additionally, I have a theory that the thing that caught Zeno's attention in the last few panels of his POV, was the dragons (Jae-Ha, Kija, Shin-Ah) manifesting out of the chalice. He claims that he can't go back--likely assuming the dragons will be unwilling to forgive him--and will probably make a run for it. (Insert possible theory that Zeno knows how to change/mask his presence from the other dragons)

I want to belive that Zeno won't KILL Hak, (just a quick stab??? Something Yoon can patch up??? Hopefully???) but Kusanagi is unpredictable lol. I really love Zeno’s character, and I can't help but cling tighter to him. He's so desperate to find relief, and my heart breaks for him. I figured he hadn't died last chapter, but I can't say I'm not upset. He was so close!!! So close to seeing the OG Dragons and Kaya. I think that's also kind of the last straw, because Zeno hurting Hak is only something he'd do out of pure desperation and brokenness. He's starting to lose it, and I can't exactly blame him. He's doing this out a place of 2000 years worth of hurt, not malice. Change my mind.

As for Yoon, when I tell you I was waiting. For when he'd find out about the dragons and Zeno- and it really did hurt. He loves them so, SO much, and especially because Zeno is particularly self destructive and whatnot- that's gotta hurt. (TBH, Zeno hasn't exactly been secretive with the "ending his own life" thing, so I think the characters should have SOMEWHAT anticipated/had some sort of realization, but I still understand the shock.)

P.S. Zeno saying "screw you" to Ouryuu himself is my new favorite thing. I hope it was at least a LITTLE cathartic, for his own sake. (And!!! Forever hoping for one, just ONE Kaya cameo!!! Please????)

Last edited:
Jast wanted to drop this here because it seems I'm the only one here thinking like that.
I was planning to drop this series if Soo-won died. Plot concerning him is the only thing worth reading for me. And I can't stand Hak's forced awesomness. He would be better off without being all mighty and unbeatable. He irritates me

guys I'm really scared that Zeno will try to kill Yona, I don't want to see that, Hak protect all our babies 🙏🏻
Zenoooo please come to your senses, we love you!!!

So, we're just not even addressing the fact that Suwon's followers tried to kill Yona and Hak for Suwon's "sake"? I don't like how his betrayal is being glossed over. Not once did Suwon or his advisor acknowledged their actions against the princess. Now, Keishook and Suwon are just like "yeah, so she's the next ruler. Moving on." No regret, nothing.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting how the author is juxtaposing zeno & soo won against each other with them both bemoaning their deaths being interrupted after they've already made their final goodbyes.

I really hope the dragons hak & yona can pull through while zeno is doing his hail mary...

Dex-chan lover
So, we're just not even addressing the fact that Suwon's followers tried to kill Yona and Hak for Suwon's "sake"? I don't like how his betrayal is being glossed over. Not once did Suwon or his advisor acknowledged their actions against the princess. Now, Keishook and Suwon are just like "yeah, so she's the next ruler. Moving on." No regret, nothing.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see them acknowledged their actions against Yona. The closest who did was the sky general, and even then it was mostly internal monologue as well as half-hearted. The biggest issue is that even if they felt bad about it (which I don't think many of them do), they saw it as a necessary justification due to how incompentent they had felt that Yona's father was as a ruler. Yona getting mixed up was an accident on their part (since she was never a target), however since it caused her to grow from a spoiled princess into the wise and experienced woman, with the qualities of a ruler, I wouldn't be surprise if they considered it a good thing in the end. Truth be told, I actually hope it doesn't end with Yona being the next ruler, and instead it ends with her traveling across the kingdom with Hak and their friends.

OKAY my thought is: Zeno thinks that when Hiryuu pointed the sword at him, it was a prediction of some sort: that the Crimson Dragon king himself will have to kill Zeno with the sword in order for him to die. Now Zeno has motive to hurt Hak so that YONA will have motive to stab him in vengeance. (Which... not happening. At least I don't think so.)

Additionally, I have a theory that the thing that caught Zeno's attention in the last few panels of his POV, was the dragons (Jae-Ha, Kija, Shin-Ah) manifesting out of the chalice. He claims that he can't go back--likely assuming the dragons will be unwilling to forgive him--and will probably make a run for it. (Insert possible theory that Zeno knows how to change/mask his presence from the other dragons)

I want to belive that Zeno won't KILL Hak, (just a quick stab??? Something Yoon can patch up??? Hopefully???) but Kusanagi is unpredictable lol. I really love Zeno’s character, and I can't help but cling tighter to him. He's so desperate to find relief, and my heart breaks for him. I figured he hadn't died last chapter, but I can't say I'm not upset. He was so close!!! So close to seeing the OG Dragons and Kaya. I think that's also kind of the last straw, because Zeno hurting Hak is only something he'd do out of pure desperation and brokenness. He's starting to lose it, and I can't exactly blame him. He's doing this out a place of 2000 years worth of hurt, not malice. Change my mind.

As for Yoon, when I tell you I was waiting. For when he'd find out about the dragons and Zeno- and it really did hurt. He loves them so, SO much, and especially because Zeno is particularly self destructive and whatnot- that's gotta hurt. (TBH, Zeno hasn't exactly been secretive with the "ending his own life" thing, so I think the characters should have SOMEWHAT anticipated/had some sort of realization, but I still understand the shock.)

P.S. Zeno saying "screw you" to Ouryuu himself is my new favorite thing. I hope it was at least a LITTLE cathartic, for his own sake. (And!!! Forever hoping for one, just ONE Kaya cameo!!! Please????)
I JUST SAW A THEORY ON REDDIT SAYING THAT MAYBE THE THING ZENO NOTICED WAS CHAGOL REINCARNATING OUT OF THE CHALICE AND NOW IT'S HAUNTING ME AND I'M A LITTLE SCARED TO SAY THE LEAST-

BUT IT WOULD MAKE SENSE WITH THE "DARKNESS FALLING OVER THE LAND" PROPHECY THING. BUT IT STILL SCARES ME. I JUST WANT MY DRAGON WARRIORS BACK IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR?!?!?!

I am so glad and relieved Zeno is still alive. But also sad for him because he’s been finding a way out for so so long and this was his last resort - the only way he was sure he’d be able to end his life and now that too has failed him and it’s all been for nothing. And he’s back to square one now, probably wanting to hide from Yona and the rest (because how to face them after this even though they‘d accept him back), with no other hope or methods he can possibly end his life. 😢

Not sure what caught Zeno’s attention. I was wondering if it was because his blood was still dripping and his healing was still slow but seeing the other theories (about the other dragons reviving) make more sense lol.

Also does feel like we’re nearing the end of the story, as if waiting for d-day.. I do hope Soo Won doesn’t die (he’s an interesting character and I think it’d be anticlimatic to have him die anytime soon at least) and I’m also really curious how things are going to proceed politics wise with this retreat.

Users who are viewing this thread