Akatsuki no Yona - Vol. 34 Ch. 196 - The Pain That Was Inflicted, on Those Who Inflicted It

Dex-chan lover
@shplunk be a little bit more gratefull, could you? You've read this for free and in english thanks to them. That lil' notes on the margin aint nothing.

Dex-chan lover
@Katrina She has a incurable illness

her husband killed a ton of people "because of her"

mother died, family in shok

her husband killed her friend that was already damaged "because of her"

her husband died

her son is taking "bad path"

i pit her...

God I hate Soo-Won and his parents. They're selfish war mongers and I hope they have a miserable time in the afterlife or whatever the people in Kouka believe in.

Thanks for your little comments in the margins, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

@Kendama Great write up! Especially about what war mongers Yu-hon and Soo-won are.

@shplunk I mean you said it a bit rudely, but i kinda agree with you. I don't read this series to read the translator's opinions lol. They feel completely unnecessary, and really suck me out of the immersion of the series. I don't know why the translator feels it's important to put their opinions and such in the margins anyway, that's literally what comments sections like this are for lol, just come here and discuss your opinions like everyone else instead of inserting them basically directly into the manga itself. And before somebody comes in with the "you're getting these for free, stop complaining" stuff - yeah, i get that, and i am grateful to them for translating it for sure, but i'm also free to express things i don't like either.

Anyway, despite that i've written a whole big comment about it, it doesn't bother me THAT much. So i'll keep reading this group's translations of the series. But the extra comments are slightly annoying i agree.

was it confirmed that yu-hon killed yonas mom, though? i know it's inferred but we haven't had any hard evidence yet. we know he killed the priests because the author explicitly showed it. i feel like the author is keeping yona's moms exact circumstances of death unknown right now for a reason tbh

There's a part of me that's searching for more clarification. Like perhaps somebody's lying or manipulating somebody behind the scenes. It's strange because throughout this whole series, I've always been so drawn to Yona, the 4 dragons, their friends, her goodness and the ”fate of the crimson dragons” so there's that feeling of wanting to defend her father and faith in the crimson dragon but in these flashbacks, I do understand that fear of putting too much trust on the gods/distaste for them. And on the base level of both sides, there was good intent for the kingdom. There’s also how the relationship between the brothers went wrong ... Since they were described to hold each other dear, I don’t want to believe they both became tso twisted and would go that far in hurting one another and let their obsessions control them.

But well, if that is how it is... how complex. And it must be so strange to have this sort of cursed illness that eats away at your family lineage, lose so much/loved ones because of others’ blind faith in this so called God, and then years later see it come to fruit in Yona, who's so kind and good (and perhaps love? even in a platonic sense), yet is the so called re-incarnation of that God... not that his father is completely innocent tho.

Power Uploader
@PinkNapkin Some people seem to be unable to. Their eyes simply wander to the margins against their will.

I'm being facetious, of course, but this discussion pops up so often in scanlation I'm still a little surprised people don't grow tired of it.

I also find it a little weird that the ones who complain most often say notes "break their immersion". If they're so immersed in the story, how come their focus wanders off to the margins?

Not that these comments are annoying. In the past, I feel readers were ruder to scanlators who like margin notes. In our own group, lots of team members like to add notes, so in some chapters of particularly ridiculous series of ours readers will find the translator, proofreader, typesetter and quality checker merrily mocking it in the margins.

Nowadays readers seem to be better at ignoring them, or just low-key voicing their annoyance, as they've done here. I feel they're particularly unjustified in the case of this series because there's a second group doing it. In just four days or so, they can have all the immersion they want, but I guess they are unable to resist the urge to read the chapter. In a sense, it's a little fun to watch.

Dex-chan lover
🤨 you seem to be upset personally.

It’s a completely valid criticism. If you were to buy the official release and the editor of the tankoubon was just adding in MST3K riffs on every other page you’d probably get irritated too. Accept some people don’t like it and move on.

Also a Rosemary’s Baby reference is going over the heads of most people here. It came out in 1968.

Dex-chan lover
So basically soowon's dad started a seemingly endless cycle of revenge until Yona decided she doesn't want to live for a meaningless revenge.

It makes so much sense why the author spent so much establishing just how much she hates soowon and his party (yet also loves him) but how she *won't * stoop to that level. How she's seen revenge playout and that it isn't worth it.

It does rather beg the question of what causes her to invade the kouka palace in the beginning of the series /near the end of the series. Does the illness gripping soowon also cause complications with your reasoning that would effect him as a ruler maybe?

Tho I'm just typing a text wall here trying to ignore how sad this entire flashback and how rough this entire arc has been. ;u;

Edit: also I'm personally fine with the margin comments. I barely notice them.

Some scanlators are more chatty than others and it's best to wait for the other release if you know you can't enjoy scans with them as easily as without. It's unlikely scanlation teams will stop doing them after all. (I know one novel team who does a similar thing except hers is like... Every 4 or 5 sentences is a big in brackets comment, but I've never seen a manga team do tl comments quite that intrusively. Folks complaining about it just meant that team were like if you don't like tl comments don't read our translations.)

At any rate, thanks for the translation and your hard work.

MD@Home
*Usual reminder that scanlators usually do this for free, in their free time*

I think groups who scanlate a series are well within their rights to leave notes on the images. It's not like they are altering the dialog or obscuring the panels. I barely even notice them, honestly.

Dex-chan lover
My feelings about Il at this point are oddly uncomplicated. If someone killed my wife (and, you know, legal authorities weren't putting him away) I'd do him in. If he was bigger and stronger than me and did tons of martial arts, I'd cheat, because the idea here isn't to let him kill both me and my wife. And if other people were then going to feel understandably vengeful about that, well, that's a pity.
And that's before we even get to the "He was probably trying for my daughter, and would try again if I didn't stop him" part. So basically, good on Il. He did what he had to do.

I'm too immersed in the chapter I didn't even notice the comment in the margin or something like that. Thank you for the update^^

lmao i don't disagree with soowon though

his mother is fated to die just because of this crimson dragon curse and the king is putting the country's burdens on his own daughter because she's supposedly the reincarnation of the crimson dragon king. i'm gonna be mad if this manga ends in yona's victory only because of divine willpower.

@Truck009#81981 I mentioned him too XD 5 dragons coz its normally the white green blue yellow dragon and then we got the black dragon aka hak

Gosh this story is SO INTERESTING. I still don't get why the anime doesn't have a a 2nd season.

This whole flashback arc is just showing us that everything happened because everyone wanted revenge for something or the other. Yona making the decision to let go & forget revenge is clearly the right answer, I guess it also helps that Soowon is dying regardless of if she chooses to kill him.

Everyone so far had reasons for why they killed others. Yu Hon started it, but he did it to protect his wife I suppose. Il began distrusting him after that so whether he killed Kashi or not, it was enough motive for him to backstab Yu Hon (literally). Keishuk saw this or conveyed it as such & ofc Soowon wanted revenge for that. Now Hak wants to kill Soowon for the betrayal & for hurting Yona but THANKFULLY, he is loyal to Yona & he has friends who stopped him from going down that path. If Hak had killed Soowon, it wouldn't have ever ended. Keishuk or one of the tribe generals (sky/earth) might want revenge on Hak for killing Soowon & would have come for him & you know this cycle would have continued endlessly.
Yona stopped it by rejecting the idea of revenge. Even her mom, Kashi, rejected this idea & is the only reason they had peace for a little while. If she had wanted revenge against Yu Hon things would have been chaotic. She even managed to become friends w Yon Hi because she let go of that idea. The peace that they had broke because she died, starting a new cycle of vengeance.

I still think both Yu Hon & Il are shit brothers & rulers. I respect Yu Hon for being so loyal & loving but he's way too violent/impulsive & narrow minded af. Il on the other hand is a fanatic who can't think of anything but God & depends on this God to save everyone. Yes, god exists & is literally Yona now but he forgot something important; "God helps those who help themselves". It's a very popular idiom in my religion. He can't sit around like a doll waiting for god to do everything. What is the point of living even?? He actively made sure he let his kingdom fall into ruin by waiting for his gods to come & save his sorry ass. Yu Hon & Il are basically on 2 extremes. One being way too against god & one being over dependent on god.

I actually like Soowon a lot. I know many ppl here hate him, but he is an interesting & complex chara. I don't & can't ever forgive him for trying to kill Yona & betraying Hak but him being so apathetic makes him an interesting chara. Even while being quite emotionless, he would have been an amazing friend to Yona & Hak if their dumb parents didn't have so much damn drama going on. Imagine if Soowon showed all this loyalty that he has towards his dad & the empire towards Hak & Yona instead. They would have been perfect to balance out all his apathetic & emotionless rash decisions. He even tried to give Il a chance to prove himself as a worthy ruler which he failed to do & thanks to toxic Keishuk, he decided to go down the path of vengeance. We all know that he truly looks up to Mun Deok, admires & trusts Hak, cares for Yona etc. but his thought process is twisted & thanks to the whole cycle of revenge going on, he prioritized the wrong feelings.

I kinda blame Yon Hi for being incapable of reigning in/reprimanding both her husband & son. She means well & has a good moral compass which the other 2 lack, but she prefers being an escapist who lives in her own lil bubble ignoring the chaos everyone else is creating around her. She should have been HORRIFIED that Yu Hon killed all the priests & done something to show her displeasure but she did nothing at all. Again w Soowon, she can see that the kid is spewing some psycho shit about killing the king & his uncle but isn't doing anything to actively correct or stop him.

This became so LONG omg..
ANYWAY, Hak, Yona & the happy hungry bunch are my favs xDDD I can't wait for the next chapter

Who cares about the margin notes, we are getting the newest chapter translated for us for free, and that takes time I greatly appriciate any group, or person that is taking their time to translate something I couldn't even begin to do. So I much appriciate their efforts and the margin notes are like so itty bitty I have to really pay attention to even see them, anyways thank for this chapter. Also y'all are pretty darn fast too

Users who are viewing this thread