An Introvert's Hookup Hiccups: This Gyaru Is Head Over Heels for Me! - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
So, a rental girlfriend will be his first, after he forced himself on her? That's the gist of the chapter, according to the mom.

Boba is treated so weirdly in Japan, or at least in manga. Where I live it's just another drink, not something that you buy for Instagram when you don't even like the taste that much.

Dex-chan lover
Nah, if I met my parents with my unintroduced girlfriend and my mother's first instinct is to call me a molester, I'd disown her as my mother on the spot.
If anything, the follow-up of "oh, so you rented this girl then" is much worse, both to the guy AND the girl.

The dad calls his wife mom!?
Common enough, in fact, especially in families with small children. Like, the children call them "mom" and "dad", so they address each other using these so as not to confuse them.

Aggregator gang
For anyone confused as to why he hasn't told his parents;
They are dating "only" as a punishment game. It's only supposed to last for a month.
On the contrary, it would be very weird to introduce a girlfriend to your parents, only for a month later tell them that you broke up because it was never real. I at least wouldn't tell my parents if I were in belief that the relationship wasn't a real relationship, but a pretend due to someone doing it as a punishment.

Dex-chan lover
I just want to say it's bad translation to write it as "tapioca". Yes, the Japanese tapi is derived from English tapioca. Doesn't matter. Just like how when you see flan/creme caramel in Manga and then the characters say purin, so the translator writes pudding. It's bad translation.

English tapioca means something different. It would generally refer to not the drink. To maybe tapioca pudding. You could write tapioca tea for the translation. It could be boba. It could be boba tea. There are a couple of acceptable translations. Writing tapioca is bad translation.

Let me be clear. This is a super minor thing. I am still thankful for the translators' work. I still wanted to say that, though.
Curiodity. The word tapioca comes from the indigenous tupi language. In Brazil, where the largest tupi settlement existed before European colonization, tapioca can be two products derived from cassava. Cassava starch or spheres made from cassava, known as sago, Cassava sago is an imitation of a product made from palm trees originating in Southeast Asia. The starch is consumed after being melted and eaten with meat or cheese or sweet spreads, such as Nutella. The spheres can be used as porridge or as something similar to bubble tea, but using red wine.

Dex-chan lover
If anything, the follow-up of "oh, so you rented this girl then" is much worse, both to the guy AND the girl.

It's so damn fucked up, they don't seem to have a bad relationship yet first thing she say to a stranger is "are you forced ? No ? Then how much does he pay you ?". Author went a bit too far doubling down on this over used joke trope.

Dex-chan lover
I understand the situation would be awkward. But why didn’t he tell his parents he was dating?

Also that’s messed up that the mom the instantly thought my son must be forcing himself on you.
because (from his perspective) he would then have to tell them that they broke up a month later when the penalty game ended

Dex-chan lover
Curiodity. The word tapioca comes from the indigenous tupi language. In Brazil, where the largest tupi settlement existed before European colonization, tapioca can be two products derived from cassava. Cassava starch or spheres made from cassava, known as sago, Cassava sago is an imitation of a product made from palm trees originating in Southeast Asia. The starch is consumed after being melted and eaten with meat or cheese or sweet spreads, such as Nutella. The spheres can be used as porridge or as something similar to bubble tea, but using red wine.
True. What you said is completely true.

However, I meant that the Japanese "tapi", or タピ, comes from English usage of tapioca.

It's the same as how English words have immediate origins in one language and then older origins in other languages. For example, if I said "flan" in English comes from Spanish "flan", then it's possibly true (sources). But it also comes from the older French "flan", which ultimately goes back to proto-indo-european.

Here, I only meant that the Japanese タピ, tapi, immediately comes from English.

Edit: And just to be clear, I actually have had true sago pearls. I actually find them more enjoyable and slightly different than tapioca pearls, but that's just my own preference.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I only noticed how generic the art style feels whilst reading this chapter, especially relative to the volume covers. I literally thought about how similar the art style was to "The Sobbing Clerk I Helped From the Convenience..." right before I came to check the comments haha (Pretty sure that's the one you are referencing).

Man, I really need to purge my "Currently Reading" list. Whenever I do, that manga will probably be the first to go

I'm keeping it in my "Plan to Read" list, because I want to experience the Whiplash at true Whiplash speeds Eventually™ Sometime™ Soon™.

To add a note, I nearly did a spit take reading through the comments and stumbling upon yours, lmao.

On an unrelated note, I think the Mom coming across like that is pretty typical for a parent of an introvert.. as most of us don't 'hang out' with people or socialize, so to see him all of the sudden with someone like that, there'd be quite the mental gymnastics.

Dex-chan lover
I want to give the mom the benefit of the doubt because she would know that her introverted son doesn't talk to girls and would thus be suspicious that he suddenly has a really cute girl clinging to his arm. Her assuming rental girlfriend is super awkward, but might be an explanation you'd come up with on the presumption that he'd never be able to talk to anyone normally and paying for a girlfriend experience would seem like a "reasonable" (not really) alternative. But the fact that her first assumption is that her own son is harsassing/blackmailing/molesting some other random girl is pretty bleak.

It's a shame if she's an aggressive weirdo or something, because his mom is super cute.

Dex-chan lover
I understand the situation would be awkward. But why didn’t he tell his parents he was dating?

Also that’s messed up that the mom the instantly thought my son must be forcing himself on you.
I mean it's not like any of us are obligated to tell our parents about our dating lives. For him I'm sure he just forgot or never got around to it.

Fed-Kun's army

Yeah, his mom was pretty rude there.

Dex-chan lover
kekeke, digging up your dark past nowadays = reading rent a girlfriend.

Oh the agony of doing so. Imagine kids who have to deal with their mid 30s parents actually getting the sentiment. Almost as bad as your mom / teacher / sister doing OF.

Dex-chan lover
Why is that something you need to go with someone else to try?

People don't all react like that. Most will mind their own business, or raise an eyebrow at most.

I don't think "cute" is how you determine the value of something you eat.

"No, I'm talking about you."
Finally a good move.

Oh, fuck off, mum. It is not reasonable for her to react like that. And then she insulted the very much real girlfriend by calling her a rental girlfriend? Get this bitch out of the family. She shows no respect for others, so she deserves none herself.

Idiots like her is why Japan has a declining birthrate. Calling boys perverts, molesters, and sexual harassers for perfectly normal things is why they won't do it anymore, and since girls are so often raised to not make moves on their own, you have stagnation.

Still feeling guilty. Well, that is kind of proper. So fix it. Won't take that many words. Also, her appearance is fine.

Personally if it didn't come up in conversation or asked directly I probably wouldn't say anything either
With a mum like that, who would?

This felt like the author trying to do the "mom teases her son by dissing him" trope. Unfortunately, having a straight laced character do that shit makes them look like a jerk.
Calling her a jerk at that point is a compliment. She's far worse.

The dad calls his wife mom!?
Sounds like a dad who's used to talking around a small child. You refer to everyone by their relation to the child, not yourself.

I want to give the mom the benefit of the doubt
I don't. There's no excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread