Any World Masterpiece Theater Fans?

Hello anime fans! I didn't see a thread on this, so I decided to make one myself. Has anyone here seen any anime in the World Masterpiece Theater? It's basically a Japanese TV staple that showcased anime versions of various famous children's books from around the world, beginning from 1974 until 1997, then getting revived in 2007 only to permanently shut down in 2009 due to lack of interest. You may recognize titles such as Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, A Little Princess, Peter Pan, Daddy Long Legs, so on and so forth. Other titles Nippon Animation adapted into anime are more obscure, such as Dog of Flanders, My Annette, Pollyanna, Perrine, and so on. For years, these shows were unknown to anyone in the anime community, at least in America, but in recent years, people have started to appreciate what these anime have to offer and even put months, even years, of hard work into subbing them completely.

Does anyone here have any favorites? My personal favorites are Dog of Flanders, Les Miserables, A Little Princess, Perrine, Remi, Anne of Green Gables, and My Annette. I just started watching Lassie and that one just got subbed to completion, so I'm going to see what that's like. Show your appreciation for these little known, underappreciated old anime here!

Users who are viewing this thread