API Login getting 401 Unauthorized

I'm trying to log in via api.mangadex.org/auth/login and getting HTTP response 401 - Unauthorized.
When using the same credentials (username/password) through a browser, I log in no problems.
I've tried changing password multiple times, but haven't tried anything else.

This started happening after:
1. Turning on Malicious Content Protection in my router.
2. Mangadex stopped working with SSL error.
3. After 2 weeks of troubleshooting, found that the Malicious Content Protection in the router was blocking traffic.
4. Turning off Malicious Content Protection in my router.
5. At this point, expected everything to work again, but started getting the 401 - Unauthorized instead.

Solution
I think it may have something to do with the numerous password resets during the 2 week period where I was trying to diagnose blind... how can I get someone to check if there's something wrong with my account?
If you still happen to have the old password before the resets, try that. It apparently might still work with the API login. Otherwise unfortunately you'll probably just have to wait for client registrations.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
How new is the account you're trying to use? /auth/login is deprecated and doesn't work for accounts made since the OAuth update.

MD@Home
How new is the account you're trying to use? /auth/login is deprecated and doesn't work for accounts made since the OAuth update.
If we can't login using API,
Is getting bearer key from local storage the only way to process authentical API right now?

The account is very old (as per the profile, it says Joined: Dec 8 2019), and everything was working until I enabled Malicious Content Protection in my router 2 weeks ago, when I started getting SSL errors.

After turning this off yesterday, I started getting the 401 error.

Last edited:
Custom title
Staff
Developer
If we can't login using API,
Is getting bearer key from local storage the only way to process authentical API right now?
We don't have OAuth client registration open at the moment so until that happens, pretty much, yeah.

The account is very old (as per the profile, it says Joined: Dec 8 2019), and everything was working until I enabled Malicious Content Protection in my router 2 weeks ago, when I started getting SSL errors.

After turning this off yesterday, I started getting the 401 error.
Then I don't really know. Seems to me the obvious first step to debugging it is to try running it on a machine that isn't behind the same router in order to rule it out.

I'm also not a backend dev or in devops so if there's been some mysterious relevant changes during the past two weeks that your router was blocking the site, I wouldn't really know.

Then I don't really know. Seems to me the obvious first step to debugging it is to try running it on a machine that isn't behind the same router in order to rule it out.
I tried running it through the router, and also bypassing the router using my phone hotspot.
Same results - 401, so the router block that was affecting me for 2 weeks can be ruled out.
I think it may have something to do with the numerous password resets during the 2 week period where I was trying to diagnose blind... how can I get someone to check if there's something wrong with my account?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
If you still happen to have the old password before the resets, try that. It apparently might still work with the API login. Otherwise unfortunately you'll probably just have to wait for client registrations.

Solution

Users who are viewing this thread