Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou - Vol. 6 Ch. 33 - New Equipment

about tio...from LN
tio is the strongest of her village and had not even felt pain in centuries.
she had declared the only one she marry is someone who could beat her
hajime comes along and not only defeats her but forces he experience things she has not felt in a long time,
yes it twists her a bit.
there are times when her tendencies are annoying but she does help the story.

now i think on it maybe for her the pain is a reaffirm that hajemi 'loves' her and he is strong enough to be her 'master = husband' ....

all this grousing about Tio is like when shea was introduced, author cant seem to intro a new character without some people complaining

There are many things that are wrong or at least considered rushed in this chapter.

First of all, Aiko's logic doesn't hold up, and at most merely ended up as being sophism. To begin with, it was exactly because Hajime was too trusting and caring of others that incurred his own demise. Not only that, the things that he has seen is nowhere close to the things that Aiko spoke about. Wherever he went, troubles immediately sprung up. The arrogant nobles, the pathetic knights, the greedy merchant, the back stabbing classmate, the oppressive kingdoms, the discriminating citizens, none of these exactly aligns with Aiko's idealistic vision. Now, i'm not saying that Hajime couldn't be developed into changing himself or the world as a whole is not worth saving, but it would have been much better and more logical for Hajime himself to come to his own conclusion, not having another person's ideals forced upon him, especially when that person has never experienced the pain of suffering or betrayal before. This is like seeing some video game brats advocating for war and violence when you yourself are a retired soldier who has been scarred by conflicts. This is made even worse by the fact that most of Aiko's followers are runaways who are too scared to fight. It just doesn't hold any weight, like at all. Not only that, the girls themselves, especially Yue, didn't seem to care too much about anyone other than Hajime at all, so the logic of saving these townspeople would lead to them being happier is kinda moot. Even further than that, Hajime has a valid reason to hide his strength, and the town itself could be evacuated to some other places, so this just makes Aiko look like an idiot who is forcing her student to compromise everything while offering up nothing in return, this is not how a negotiation works. Hajime should be smarter and more thoughtful than that. This entire debacle would have been fine if the author had set up the events accordingly. For example, Hajime and company are forced into a situation where they must spend time and interact with another person in this world, as he slowly grows to trust and respect that person, then have that person's hometown to be ravaged by Demonic Beasts or something, and he/she still decides to risk his life in order to save his own people. Not only would this give the 2nd party a lot more stakes involved, it would also actually provide a reason for Hajime to care. Last, but not least, it wouldn't allow for any kinds of alternative solutions to happen, like evacuating in prior, since the surprise invasion has already happened. This, would truly put Hajime into a tight spot between choosing someone from another world that he has grown to trust or keeping his strength and comrades a secret, not making him look like an idiot for compromising so easily like in this chapter. The one preaching to Hajime and begging for his help shouldn't have been Aiko, who has not experienced any suffering or betrayal, but an actual person from this other world that the MC had decided to forsake.

As for Tio's personality, there is no reason for her to develop masochism for the MC either, especially when her masochism is actively undermining her personality and sense of responsibility. Let Tio feel guilty about being brainwashed and take the mantle to protect the city. Let her be the beacon of pride and leadership of the Dragons that Yue spoke about, not just another member of Hajime's harem with a random quirk. Don't even try to justify her personality by quoting the Light Novel ahead either. Mediums should be judged individually and they should be able to hold their own without having to refer to other mediums. Most manga readers have no interest in checking out the LN, most of them don't even know about LNs being a thing. Up until before this very chapter, Tio was nothing but a dignified, respectful and responsible person who was willing to die to atone for her sins, but suddenly she is now a masochist with no explanation whatsoever. In an extremely over-saturated business like writing Manga and Light Novel, where harems are everywhere, bland MCs run rampant, and zero world building is considered the norm, you must try to differentiate yourself from the rest of the bunch by either having amazing world-building like Overlord, interesting MCs and foreshadowing like Kumo-chan, grippling plot development like Mahouka, or at least some convincing story telling like the beginning of Arifureta. Just adding more harem members to the checklist without providing any actual reasons why or showing how their feelings are developed like Tio's case is just going to annoy the hell out of most readers since we have already seen these hundreds of times before, in dozens of different manga/LNs. Do it once, and you're going to receive some raised eyebrows and disappointments from avid readers. Do it twice, and they would just drop your series and move on.

imagine wasting more words on a comment on a manga chapter than there are in the chapter itself.

I could have very easily just commented "This chapter sucks! It doesn't feel right! The end!" or "The MC is an idiot and a wimp for listening!" but i'd rather explain my position clearly so that i can minimize needless rebuttal from those who don't understand later on, which usually costs more time to explain and reiterate anyways.

esp

I can't see Hajime accepting a request to save the village from someone he doesn't know, unless they were gonna pay him or Yue asks him to. Aiko's argument was essentially: Don't do it for them, do it for your future self's sanity. His ultimate goal is still to go home and rejoin normal society, so it resonates.

I already explained from my first comment that Hajime needed to actually spend time with that person and come to trust him/her. The decision must arise from Hajime alone, not from anyone else begging him to. He is his own person with his own considerations, and he should only help when he feels like the person he helps deserves his aid. Aiko's request doesn't really make much sense in this context either. Help the villagers -> Put a giant target on your back -> Live while worrying about being pursued -> Unhappiness. His ultimate goal is to rejoin society with his lovers following him. Putting himself in the limelight goes opposite of that. And who is Aiko exactly to speak about future selves? Help Hajime's future self? Don't make me laugh. Every single day, millions of people die in war, famine, accidents, etc. Do we actually go out of our way to do anything about it? No. Most people are like that. Unless your close relatives and loved ones are involved, we never even bat an eye. Hajime's standpoint is the same as any other person in our world.

Everyone's over here analyzing and making thoughtful insights on why this manga is rushed/sucks and I am over here thinking that the LN/WN is ass so inherently the manga will be too. The only redeeming factor is the art.

Tbh, I enjoyed the fact that a lot of things were rushed, it just means the parts that I actually liked will come faster.

Fed-Kun's army
@RyujiDestiny As I see it, the only reason MC accepted the offer for help is because he trusts his teacher and trusts that she'll be on his side no matter what. As for the teacher herself, after MC's comment about her preaching like the pope, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a little brain washing there. Though there's still no explanation there for the dragon girls personality.

@RedlineAlchemist In that case, Hajime seriously needs a knock on the head for being so naive. This is a teacher he barely ever conversed to even back in Japan, who went away after being transported to another world, while being surrounded by all people of the church. The only basis that he can even use to "trust" Aiko is the fact that they're from the same world, and Hiyama already taught him a harsh lesson for being too faithful. But then again, i guess we can't expect much from a guy who immediately decided to inform someone he barely knows of or even talked to for months about what he discovered inside the Dungeons, after speaking with her for merely an hour or so. Any decent survival/mystery series would have already punished him for his continuous stupidity, but alas.

Dex-chan lover
What was the new equipment? Maybe i'm just blind and can't see it.

Doesn't matter how Gary Stu he is, that speech sensei gave about "living your life forsaking people" only made me think "big words for someone that is sending other people to the battlefield"

To you thinking about the Speech from Aiko, it makes more sense from the LN, they talk a little more properly and he thinks about what she said especially about him not making those two around him happy (Shea and Yue).
She also points out that he can't behave like that if he at least intends to go back to Japan, that is not the Japanese way of doing things.
And finally, she also says that the "teacher's duty" is not to choose the child future but to help them choose the future they want for themselves, giving him the freedom to refuse to help.

So except for the fanservice, I don't see any reason to keep the manga here, they are cutting corners everywhere, don't need to be as dense as Gate but a little more focus on the character relationship would help.

Note: This is LN Vol 3 Chapter III

all these people complaining. unfortunately this manga adaption skips a bunch of important info about some of these other characters. because of this lack of explanation about anyone the words of akio and their impact seem out of the blue. im not going to explain here cause from LN and take too long and not sure words to use , if you really want to know read the LN which is available in English. this scene is in Vol 3 of the LN. the same for Tio and many other characters shown and yet to come.

Ai-chan-sensei is not telling hajame to act like the idiot hero, just be more human- to regain his kindness and empathy some. who Ai-chan (the teacher so you know) is and what she did before and during this whole isekai makes her trustworthy

edit: @dyuinco thanks for better explain then I could

And again, the entire point of a Manga with an original LN is to make the readers interested in the source material instead. If the adaptation sucks, then readers won't even bother checking out the LN. To refer to the LN to get the "better experience" is to put the carriage before the horse.

Hell, even if we're supposedly using the the LNs as the source, i can still debunk the teacher's idiotic philosophy, seeing that i have already read through the LN before. Fine then, let us all analyze this so called "uncut" and "better experience" alright? I'll go through each and every statement of their exchange starting from after rebutting Aiko since the beginnings are the same, excluding stuffs that add nothing to the arguments.

"If there was some way back home, I’d take you all with me in a heartbeat. That hasn’t changed even now. But right now, there isn’t one... and if there isn’t, I’d at least like to do what I can for the people I’ve met, talked to, laughed with in this world. Isn’t it only natural to want to help other people?" So this is Aiko's first answer to Hajime's rebuttal. In which she emphasized that she wishes to help those she has met, talked to and laughed with, and it's natural to want to help those people. Okay then, reasonable enough. However, that statement doesn't apply for Hajime. The people that Hajime has "met, talked to, and laughed with" only included Yue and Shia, and maybe some people in Brook Town. There was not a single person currently inside this town that Hajime cared enough about to even want to help them, after all he has only been in this place for less than a day, and most of that was spent sleeping. Mind you, the first impression he had of this area in the LN was a bunch of stuck up knights pointing weapons and him. Even if Aiko's speech is trying to generalize everyone, Hajime still isn't attached to anyone other than Yue and Shia enough to lend his aid. And isn't Aiko contradicting herself a bit here? She wants to do her best to help those she met, talked to and laughed with, meaning that she wants to help those she care about.

"Nagumo-kun, I can understand your strong desire to return home. You probably want to go back more than any of us. But you know, do you plan to live like this when you return too? Ignoring everyone except those close to you? Eliminating anything that gets in your way? Can you really live like that in Japan? And if not, do you really think you can change your mindset the moment you get back?" Yes, that is a perfectly valid way to live. Have we ever seen this teacher actually go out of her way to do anything for strangers back in Japan? No. Even if we consider this mentality alone, it is still within reasonable expectations, in fact, it is the mentality of most people in this world. Tell me, have any one of you here ever done anything when you read the news about war, famine or accidents? Have you ever donated anything to anyone? If you have ever seen a fire happening, have you ever actually thrown yourselves into the mix to try and save someone, or would you just stand there with your smartphones in your hands taking photos of your newest tweet? Unless your direct family or lovers are involved, i doubt any one of you would ever actually lift a finger. And no, dialing 911 when you see a fainted body isn't really much at all compared to what Aiko is asking from Hajime.

"Nagumo-kun, I understand that you have your own principles, and that you’ve already decided your path for the future. I won’t try to change that, but I also think that no matter which future you choose, it’s... too lonely to only live by ignoring everyone aside from those you care about. If you keep going like this, neither you nor the people you cherish will find happiness. If you want to find happiness... you can’t lose sight of your kindness or empathy. You have to think of other people, even if it’s only a little. Those are valuable qualities you possessed from the start... Please don’t throw them away." Do you see the hypocrisy here? Aiko won't try to change Hajime's choice, she is just implying that one of his choice is lonely, and would lead to unhappiness. That is not the freedom of choice, that is an ultimatum, and at most, sophism. By invalidating one of his choice, she is literally forcing him to do what she wants. And as i have already explained before, living while caring about only your friends and relatives/lovers is a perfectly valid lifestyle that most people have. No one has the mental capacity, the ability or even the reason to care about strangers around the world. Tell me, would you say that a father who tries his best to make a living for his wife and children while not implicating his friends is selfish? Would you say that an office worker is less honorable and more "lonely" than a police officer (disregarding the fact that the police do get paid)? If you say yes to any of these questions, i would suggest you get off your high horse and look at what you've managed to do to the ones close to you.

"So, even if he couldn’t sympathize with others right away, he could still act. And if those actions brought happiness to those he cared most about... to Yue and Shea, then he’d gladly do anything." This entire logic falls apart when we realize that even Yue and Shia only care about Hajime and their close friends, not anyone else. Did you remember what Yue and Hajime said before leaving the 1st Dungeon? That they would move forward by themselves even if the world tries to stop them. This is their resolve and their mentalities. They're both fine with anything as long as the other one is happy and make his/her own choice. Aiko's plead would have actually had more ground had any one of those three actually gave a dime about anyone else other than the other duo. And last time i checked, Yue and Hajime had no problem abandoning Shia to the Monsters either.

"I knew I’d get found out eventually. It was just a matter of time. I already have a few countermeasures in place, and besides, I promised myself I wouldn’t hide who I am just for the convenience of the people in this world... Hell, it might be fun to cut loose and go all out every now and then." Not even once in this entire inner monologue did Hajime even agree with his teacher. The only thing he did was try and justify his foolish choice, making excuses so that he doesn't feel conflicted.

"If he did decide to help, it was possible things would come to a head with the Holy Church much sooner than he would have liked, but surely he could count on his teacher, Aiko, to help with that. After all, she had to take responsibility for what she’d said to him. And someone who loved her students this much wouldn’t refuse." For someone like Hajime to place his trust on anyone other than Yue and Shia at this point is a mis-characterisation. To begin with, what could Aiko possibly even do with her tiny power? Nothing much i would assume. From the very beginning, when Hajime and Yue were still only by themselves, they already had the resolve to face God even if it was just the two of them. Under what circumstances would Hajime even benefit from placing his trust on Aiko, who is much weaker and more naive than him? Tell me, instead of placing his unguided trust on his teacher to resolve the aftermath, wouldn't it be much better to just avoid creating the situation to begin with? Please try and view things from the perspective of someone like Hajime, not from an omniscience POV, because that's not how logical thinking works. Hajime had no reason to even believe in Aiko to begin with. He wasn't there to see Aiko's expeditions, he doesn't have the ability to read people's minds so he can't possibly ascertain that Aiko is capable or trustworthy, and he has only spent less than one day with her, nowhere near enough to let him have faith in her. This is even worse when he decided to tell "Ai-chan" everything, since he had even less time to judge her character at that point. This is why i tell you to see things from the character's perspective, not your godly pov who knows everything about every characters. I know about the future anti-church incidence, but the characters themselves do not know that, so don't even try to use that as an argument.

And you know what's the most hypocritical part here? Aiko did nothing in the entire fight. She just sat there, behind the fortress, being protected by Hajime and company. Those sure were some big words being thrown around by someone who hasn't contributed a single thing in the process, while letting others do the job for you.

Fed-Kun's army
I hate the teacher.

The teacher don't even know his strength. The loli basically sent him to a suicide mission.

Users who are viewing this thread