Asobinin wa Kenja ni Tenshoku Dekiru tte Shittemashita? ~ Yuusha Party o Tsuihou Sareta Lv 99 - Vol. 2 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
@CountryMage Dude! If youtube says it, its 100% true, right? He says, dripping with sarcasm.

You literally said 'cheaply made'. Which means it isn't folded steel, so not a 'real' katana. Many cheap swords have bendy blades that give before breaking. Most 'real' swords barely give at all. Several are desinged to, of course. But most will hold their shape up to 80-90% and then either become permanently bent or snap, instead of 'folding'.
Due to the iron sand being used to refine the steel, 'real' katanas are incredibly brittle. They literally CAN NOT take a full on impact without taking stupid levels of structural damage. It was the entire reason for their form being based on a slicing motion over just slashing like most other swords from almost literally everywhere else.

But don't take science and history's word for it. By all means, go watch a youtube video where they have tons of variables skewing the actual results.

Dex-chan lover
@Riger
> There are several swords meant for armor. They're usually large and have blunted edges, though. Like the estoc, for example
What your friend probably meant is going through ring mail.

> Just dent it hard enough that the armor harms the chewy center for you
I doubt the point of a sword and the weight behind a thrust would be enough to dent plate armor. You're supposed to thrust into the joints and gaps in the armor. Plate armor doesn't actually cover 100% of the front of the body.
If you're suggesting to thrust at a certain point over and over again, well, that's not actually feasible in combat. You're asking to get wrestled to the ground and have a rondel dagger driven into your armpit or through your eye socket.

> Heavy blunt arms like maces and morningstars were insanely heavy.
Unless you're talking about two-handed bludgeons, they aren't. They just have more weight concentrated on the head but overall, are only about as heavy as any other sword, including the katana. It's just that swords have their weight more evenly distributed.

> I've even seen a few huge swords in museums that had no edge at all, but did have two much smaller spikes sticking out of the sides to pierce when swung. Like a lower case letter T. I've seen a few crucifix shaped swords meant for smashing and piercing armor, as well.
Maybe ceremonial, decorative, or executioner swords? Only way to know if a particular shape of a weapon was used in battle at all is if you could see one of them has visible signs of use. I've seen unspectacular halberds that look like they have been whetted hundreds of times, all hung up on at a little corner of a museum.

why do people talk about the MC getting a Katana when it's probably very obvious for a japanese manga and why are you guys comparing it to the real thing when this is a fantasy which they can make things harder than anything without giving a fuck about forging methods etc... unrelated to how brittle or strong the real thing is... this is a fantasy not something you should think about in reality and just enjoy how stupidly absurd it could get... authors are free to glorify what they wan't since this is their fantastic creations... I don't care about logic or realism when reading such fantasy because it's unreal... be it the breast size or whatever... because who fcking cares... this what the author wants to write so enjoy it or leave it...

Dex-chan lover
I got a word for it!

OPPAIJU

oppai + kaiju

I think it fits, unlike everyone's torso gear.

Dex-chan lover
@Riger no, the well made katana, or any sword really, have a less dense core, to keep it from being brittle. It gives it a bit of "give" over all, a poorly made one could be incredibly brittle, or just a carved and sharpened piece of spring steel. The one in the video I saw (I didn't just hear someone describe it) was quite badly bent. The guy bought it relatively cheap, so it should be more likely to break, like you say a traditional katana would, but it still didn't.

This series is a bit like alternate setting version of that tumblr anime plot, with those massive dobonhonkeros and bonkhonagahoogs.

Lol i know this story is just dumb fun but i cant stop laughing about the fact that the smith has to kiss the master in order to make the weapon.
between me and you i'd pass on a legendary dragonslaying sword if it required me to makeout with some hairy old dude 🤮

Dex-chan lover
>katana exists in a manga
>comment-section explodes with comments bashing katanas, with or without sarcasm
Never change MD commenters.

Guess there are no dwarf race, or they excels on machinary instead on this manga.

i can't wait for the next chapter. esp if it's what happens in the wn/ln

Double-page supporter
Him being a Jester/Sage was unique and interesting, a Katana just really wasn't necessary.

Thanks for the chapter!
Would be funny if she made a dragon killing shield for Tina. Be funny seeing other adventurers' faces seeing her shield bashing to death powerful enemies in one hit.

@oukamihalf Might be a dwarf race with high smithing skills. Just because beastfolk can make legendary gear as animasmiths doesn't mean dwarves didn't develop skills or have their own racial equivalent version of making legendary gear as well. After all, Japan developed Katanas with curved blades while Europe tended for short or long, straight blades in various countries. Despite little or no interaction between the two both developed a blade with a hilt with variations developed for different reasons. So can't say there are no dwarves yet or whether or not they have high smithing skills. After all, could be like early Japan where holed themselves up in their territory with very few going elsewhere or extremely minimizing foreign visitors of other races. Or just have a culture where visitors are welcome but everybody only looks for new opportunities in creating new types of gear and fully satisfied staying home with nobody ever developing wanderlust.

Users who are viewing this thread