BEASTARS - Vol. 19 Ch. 162 - An Early Afternoon with a Good Wife and a Wise Mother

Double-page supporter
Muskmelon probably are the kind of "Melon" we talk about here. English have this weird confusion betweens all the melons, but in French Muskmelon is just Melon, while Watermelon would be Pastèque. Taken that Melon call his mom "Maman" at some point, which is the french for "mom", it makes sense to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskmelon

Nod

I'm thinking the author probably meant to say that melons aren't a meat or a vegetable. At least I hope so. That's what I'm going to tell myself anyway.

Aggregator gang
Can someone explain this chapter for me because I'm confused about the relationship between Melon and his mom. Seems like his mom ate his dad, and I'm not sure if she feels remorse and is going crazy as a result or sees Melon as both her son and someone she can eat?

@ayatome I'm thinking that she did go crazy after eating his father, and can't hold back and think that her son is food too. Though it might not be correct.

Dex-chan lover
@verus They are in the same family as cucumber, pumpkin and squash so there are people who think they are vegetable too.

@Moodyz I don't think there is anything to sympathy in Melon's story. It is just an explanation why is he so twisted, the same with a lot of villains. They are meant to explain to origin. It is the readers that like to assume those stories are meant to get sympathy. The authors have to give backstories for the villains because without them, they would be really shallow.

Double-page supporter
damn yall so confused abt melons. goes to show that no one here fucking eats their vegetables. bittergourd and other gourds ("vegetables") are in the same family as honeydew and watermelon ("fruits") which is why the author wrote that melon is ambiguous. it was actually genius for me so stop insulting the author for being "dumb" when yallre the ones who dont know shit.

Dex-chan lover
Also, I don't get this thing about melons not being fruits. Is it something lost in translation? I saw a scene in a Ghibli movie where the people was REALLY amazed seeing/tasting a pineapple for the first time, but the movie is older than me and I can't imagine they not being used to melons with all the "melon pan" thing in animes!

@mickhall : The name of that movie is Only Yesterday :)

Dex-chan lover
To all the people confused about the status of a melon, consider this: In Japan, a watermelon is considered to be a vegetable.

Yeah.

Remember this is a Japanese manga, so it's going to use Japanese terminology. Thus the whole melon thing.

Dex-chan lover
I love how Melon killed his mother as a little kid but everybody is here discussing about how the melon is indeed a fruit or not.

And also damn, the mother ate the father and was raising little Melon so she could eat him and taste that delicious flavor again.

Dex-chan lover
@Speziell I was just quoting mickhall. I know melons are part of the Cucurbitaceae family, and are technically berries.

Well, after i read the latest chapter, all i gotta say is... was it needed to take so long for Melon's past to be explained (which may i remind you, was done pretty quickly). But when you think about it, we must first see the actions he does (which was shown in the previous chapters), and then begin to ask ourselfs what fueled them in the first place. Also, hoes mad. Also, this manga is nice, uh, i give it..... like, 7/10 for very good. Another one: pelase dont read what others type on here, this place is now like the comment sections from Reddit... which means B A D.

Dex-chan lover
fruit and veggie can both interpreted as botanical and culinary terms

tomatoes is a fruit in botanical terms, but considered veggies in culinary terms
*CMIW

Double-page supporter
new backstory: "melon dear stop playing on the xbox" "FUCK YOU"

Users who are viewing this thread