BEASTARS - Vol. 19 Ch. 162 - An Early Afternoon with a Good Wife and a Wise Mother

Dex-chan lover
damn
"i love the taste of your dad"? i like how Paru keeps things ambiguous, but somewhat obvious if you read carefully
and i mean
her explanation for Melon's name is nice and all, but at the end of the day, he's still named after a food - a sweet, mouth-watering food
that was still one of hell of a childhood tho
(baby melon is cute doe)

melon was brutal. why would his mom not even slightly react to his attacks though? a child herbivore should never be able to take an adult carnivore down so easily

then again, at this point i dont even want to think at all while reading beastars. at least he didnt kill his mom with his stand i guess

Dex-chan lover
One of the most awesome chapter of a manga i read from a while, look how the author applied different colour style to the tables to express their meaning.
Chapeau

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I think the reason he managed to kill her is she's crazy but didn't actually want to eat her own son, not fully. You can argue that she was just keeping him alive til he was larger, but I think there was some internal conflict.

Either way, she dead as shit, and he's fucked up as hell.

Dex-chan lover
And then he grew to get a PhD on history, become the boss of a gang, and key member of the black market behind high society, while being an assistant professor at a respected university, all before turning 25, and while hiding his status as a hybrid.

But somehow the unbelievable part of the story is that a giant whale stopped a war by just being big, which frankly i think is extremely mundane compared to how OP Melon is.

I actually thought this chapter was pretty amazing, but it blurs the line between nature and nurture. Like, clearly he was left alone to deal with the hardships of being a hybrid, rather than having his parent supporting him as she should've, but he also talks about how he takes after her desire to kill. I mean, he felt like killing almost too seriously even before he found the truth. I can also imagine that despite her love for meat, she couldn't bring herself to eat her son, because as he said, her motherly love was the only real thing in the room. At least we see how he turned into such a meticulous and deranged killer later on if he was like this as a child.

This chapter was definitely better than the previous two. They were awfully placed.

And yes, it is possible to kill someone when you are a 10 years old.

Banned
Can we please PLEASE PLEASE stop it with the "an herbivore" shit? How can anyone possibly get it wrong so many times?

H is a consonant. Not a vowel.

... The translator is American, right? Is this because Americans, for some insane and unfathomable reason, don't bother to pronounce the "h" in "herb" (unless it is a name like Herbert, for some other unfathomable reason)?
That is probably it, right? Well... the "h" isn't meant to be silent. It isn't silent. It is pronounced. "A herbivore" is correct. Not "an".

Man this is giving me a headache.

Dang, I really thought this was gonna be about Melon's love for his dear mama. The plot twists in this manga are insane.

This chapter was a great relief. I didn't want a third chapter with that rabbit, sorry. (I don't know why, but I just feel like apologizing since I don't like arguing)

I'm a bit confused... Aren't melons just fruits? The botanical definitions for fruits and vegetables are pretty clear cut, Fruits: The part that contains the seeds. Vegetables: The parts we eat that aren't seeds (roots and leaves.) And yeah, peas and zucchinis are fruits, which is a bit weird but makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
@NineTails People pretty commonly make distinctions about these kinds of things that are slightly off I suppose. The big one I can think of is people knowing a tomato is a fruit, but treating it like a vegetable anyway for classification purposes in the kitchen. Another example that comes to mind fits with the melons in particular: a ton of things are berries, but we don't tend to think of them as such for culinary purposes. Melons for instance, but also things like chili peppers.

Not that this is long or anything, but the TL;DR would basically be "scientific and common uses of words often differ."

Users who are viewing this thread