BEASTARS - Vol. 22 Ch. 188 - Raise Your Neglectful Hand

Group Leader
Discord community link. Come for the fun discussion, release pings, special unreleased omake, side stories, leaks and stuffs. https://discord.gg/Beastars

Time for my usual Chapter review. Huge shoutout to Soundfox, 5pike, Wulfy, Jujstme our typesetter and cleaners/redrawers.

Such a bold move to state it that he his father, without getting background info first. Makes you what kind of rock he been living under, since even Herbivores know of melon per ch 164

Melon exist, so why ask if it is possible to have a hybrid child....

Like Grandfather, like Grandson, call back to ch 81 when Legoshi broke the spot light. Though legoshi was more unintentional.

Gosha calling how press is causing a spectacle is a callback to Ch 133 with Leano birth, as everyone was making a big deal. Which in turned cause Leano Identity issues as a hybrid and why she doubled down as wolf instead of being hybrid.

Gosha goes superman time, with breaking things, spit power [superman heat beam/frost breath], and Acide wall break [call back to 177 of Savon breaking the building]

Gosha did spit attack with left hand, then wall with right. Yet he held hands with Melon dad? No Venom fears?

Yahya: No, we can’t open the gate incase blackout. Gosha: breaks the gate to Bam. Gosha has hope and emotions. Yahya sees the realistic aspect and notice that something off. It's good they work together as opposites.

Why are there Herbivore signs in BAM in pg 15?

This reminds of ch 119/120 Airdo/Ako case, where they did not prepare for reality.

Dad saying mom loved him so much is a flashback to Ch 24 pg 16, where Gouhin said a Carnivore loved Herbivore so much he ate him. I feel like could have had better wording, but it's the same there.

Pg 17 is a call back to ch 124 pg 18, the start of this arc. There is some theory that Melon doesn’t actually value his life [like all Beastars], and has been wanting someone to kill him. Aka ch 163 vs Shishigumi [they could have killed him], or using Legoshi. He is like Joker in that he causes chaos in his attack against society. If that is not possible, he gets to end his suffering as he get an ideal life. Otherwise, why would Melon give? We all know Melon can struggle. Even in ch 187, Melon could have killed Legoshi if not holding back

Did Legoshi not bite Melon? See lack of blood.

My overall thought: 9/10 chapter, though round to 5/5. Finally shows a herbivore that is bad, and follows up with the Herbivore side of the relationship, similar to Airdo/Ako. Frankly, the dad should have resolved himself more knowing the issues with society and potentially being eaten. Actually having a child means you already committed to the end. Though, this does remind of typical HS having babies in HS, but still, a relationship is more than having a child.

CKN

Dex-chan lover
Quick... grab the Komodo dragon before he does something he will regret

i
idk what to say, i just think this arc's being carried on for a lil too long

So...
Panel 7 Granpa's left hand use for precision venom spit sniping
Panel 10 Granpa's left hand grabbing Melon's father.

HE
DED
, IMMA RIGHT?!

This damn "ordinary" animal is the real fucker. It's just too sad how "ordinary" this kind of things happen in real world as well. He's a complete opposite of "herbivore being good guys, noble, responsible, etc."

This arc has been a really long ride, but, well done Paru! Can't wait to see how things will resolve. I just hope the series as a whole doesn't end anytime soon. Public's opinion on hybrids are nowhere good just yet.

Fed-Kun's army
So Melon's mother just let him believe that she had eaten his father? Was that to protect him or was she already so broken that that was just part of the other abuse that happened?

Dex-chan lover
Revenge of the Love Failure, now here's something I haven't seen in quite a while.

Every time Melon's backstory was shown I always felt something was off, and I could not put my finger on what exactly was wrong, my first impression was that this was a case of an unreliable narrator, I'm surprised that I was correct, but I would be lying if i said that I expected his dad to be alive.

Melon was so obsessed with not living on lies that he killed the only animal that truly loved him because of one, for the first time ever since he was introduced in the story I don't want him to die, at least not yet, I wonder how he's going to react when he founds out the truth.

On a more positive note, It's adorable how Legosi and Gosha are so similar, I hope grandpa doesn't end up doing something stupid.

Wow, Hybridgumi's typesetting has gotten a lot better lately!

That said, Melon was kinda set up for going apeshit, huh

It's sad that everyone's knee jerk reaction to this chapter is hating on the father. What he says happened seems horrible, but also completely normal. We have to keep in mind that this manga is in some ways just an exploration and commentary on the world.

Melon's dad feared for his life, rightfully so. Predation incidents happen all the time, and the back market makes it seem most carnivores are just functioning drug addicts, who's drugs are MEAT. And so, society shuns and judges inter-species relationships. He says he wasn't ready for the relationship, but really, who is? It's a tough journey as we have seen from legosi's journey thus far.

The page where melon's dad smiles and admits he ran away, doesn't that seem like just a teenager asking for the approval of others for his actions? I wouldn't be surprised if he ran away when he was Legosi's age.

Also, the whole time, we have not seen his eyes yet, only the reflections of his glasses. This I feel is intentional, and a few more chapters in we will learn more about Melon's father. When we see his eyes for real, it will either be when we find out his true colors. My personal guess is that he will be regretful when we finally see his eyes.

Dex-chan lover
@Sunhay Imma say kinda. She raised her son, but when you got a kid who's got one foot in a cultural, religious, or some type of phsycially manifested zone, and she can really only cover one out of the two parts, the kids usually not gonna end up well. Especially in this society, where your neighbor or your lover could eat you, its adds way more layers to actual relationships with different species. I would say she tried her best, but majorly neglected key aspects mostly because she herself was damaged by how Melon's father abandonned her.

Dex-chan lover
That's fucked up. He murdered his mom at least partially because he thought she ate his dad.

Group Leader
@jbro212
Good point. It rather repeat of reaction to Melon mom.

Instead,you can compare dad to Bill of ch 58.

That said, that doesn't exclude all of his fault since neglect is an issue.

Rather he didn't try thing when compared to Airdo and Ako case

My joke reply or that imagining Melon’s voice going from a shrill Joker to a deep Batman.

This explains a lot for Melon, his stories were less factual and more from perception, which in this case he saw his mom “scary” like her eyes which might Paru’s way to show us how the dad saw her when in reality she was just normal.

For Melon especially, the antagonizing and rumors didn’t help as he never directly asked his mom, and went with second hand knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread