BEASTARS

Well, in its entirety a huge disappointment, thanks to the last one and a half arcs which were just dragged out to hell and rather redundant.
If one is being completely honest, it should have ended after the fight with Riz, or maybe a bit later, and then it would have been a nice Manga series.

Yeah, sure… Melon arc is the worst thing that occurred in the entire Universe. Let's just forget the fact that one of the best chapters about Bill happened there, or Jack and his history lessons, or the story of Legosi's mother, or relationship development between Legosi and Haru, for crying out loud. Personally, I think that the major issues of the arc are the final battle (too drawn-out) and the character Kyuu
(turned out to be pointless and, judging by the author's attitude towards her, must have been a case of the editorial interference)
. But even then, we saw interactions between different species, personalities with their own problems, worldviews and ways of life – things that Paru Itagaki excels at. Melon himself, although not being executed properly, was totally in sync with the themes of conformity and prejudices - the central leitmotif of Beastars.

As for the ending, the main storyline of Legosi and Haru has got a conclusion, and that's more than enough for me. The rest can be easily talked about and expanded in Beast Complex (the new chapters of which will come out in January) or in the omakes.

All in all, I have no regrets about stumbling upon this manga and reading it from the beginning till the end.

yo, so this series ended right? obviously, i wished that louis x juno ship sailed, but that's just me....

yeah, the series went downhill once melon appeared and i had a feeling the paru lost her flare to continue with the manga. obviously the demands are high, so i guess she tried her best to extend it, but it ultimately failed. well, can't wait for what she has next for us.

Melon really fucked the whole series up to a point where it needs to get axed. We didn’t even get to see Louis and Legosi sharing a final moment or becoming ‘’The Beastars’’. Well, still looking forward to Paru’s next work, maybe she’ll learn from this.

I have to say in my opinion I enjoyed the final arc until the showdown with Legoshi and melon in the beginning I was thinking that it was more about the relationship and melon was there just to add some action into the story. But once Paru just started adding random characters that had nothing to do with the story (Kyuu) I didn’t like the manga any more but overall I would rate it a 8/10

I can see why people are upset over the ending (I'm kinda iffy over it), but I'm really happy I read this! Personally I didn't mind Melon (or the final arc) until the whole black market fiasco. Melon was also, imo, had a point to exist. I just wish he didn't go the way he ultimately went. I liked to learn how carnivore and herbivore offsprings can lead into issues.
I say the ending is rushed, I'm a little sad the whole foreshadowing towards Louis and Legosi being the next beastars was canned completely.
Can't wait to see the next arc animated!
I think Paru did a good job, especially for her first manga! I hope she improves with her next work!
Overall, 8, maybe 8.5/10

@vladyk

I dont know if you were paying attention, but Legosi and Haru's relationship went nowhere. It ended the same as it was while at Cherryton: "dating" and acknolewdging that their relationship is difficult. That's not an improvement at all. And all that happened in the last chapter alone. Before that, Haru was supposedly going to be eaten by Melon lol.

Jack's history lesson just added more non-sense to all this, with the whale thing that was never explained at all.
Legosi's mother arc was also pointless, because as we saw later, Legosi learned nothing out of it and still exposed himself to danger needlessly. It was good to see what happened to her, but nothing of value was added with it, except exposing Legosi as the dumbest main character ever made.

The only good 'thing' were the Bill's chapter, but alas, they were only like 2 of them, and we never saw more of Cherryton anymore. And even those chapters have no direct relation with Melon's arc at all. They were more of a "filler" in-between the arc.

And yes, fuck Kyuu. Added literally nothing to the table.

Pain is finally over. What a mess... Extremo777 pretty said everything in short, a lot of stuff introduced, but never fully exploited.

Haru didn't get over her inferiority complex
Legoshi is definitely one of the dumbest main character I happened to read
Kyuu just disappeared
Along with Cherrytown
All flashback never brought anything to the characters, they were just... Facts. Not "experience"
Melon's dad brought absolutely nothing except void of interest
Just how the hell Yafya survived being bitten near his throat

The whole world-building stuff (Jack's special history class, that giant whale, imaginary chimera) went nowhere, all that slice of life that was this manga main point got replaced with some Shonen-esque stuff without any skill in the matter...

I'd put a 6/10, because really, really the last arc lasted too long, with a lot of flags showing that something was up to - becoming-interesting, but got dropped off rapidly because maybe "that couldn't catch reader's interest". Melon escaped too many times, and Legoshi got baited too many times. Melon had to kill himself (or not) to finally get beaten... Stupid, utterly stupid.

@extremo777
Didn’t Louis talk Haru out of that promise and advised her to visit Legosi instead? Actually, the most serious Legosi/Haru relationship development was in the first arc, in my opinion. Because during the murder investigation
Legosi wanted to kiss Haru but didn’t; Legosi proposed to Haru, but she didn’t really treat it seriously; Haru said that she loved Legosi, even though he distanced himself from her; Haru begged Legosi to bring Louis back. And that’s about it.
Yes, I agree that there was too little of Haru during the recent events, but it was somewhat acknowledged by the plot and the character herself when she said how awful it had been for her, not being able to help Legosi in any way.

Jack’s history lessons told us about how carnivores and herbivores came to be and how they managed to make their society instead of just “animals of different species have to live together because reasons”.

I disagree about Legosi’s mother arc. Because of her he desperately tried to capture Melon alive and not to let him kill himself.
I mean, Leano literally committed suicide because of her hybrid nature, and Legosi partially blamed himself for not being able to stop her.
If Melon had died, it would have only meant that hybrids would be doomed to suffer and die from the day they were born. Or, at least, that’s what Legosi thought. Is that stupid? Probably. Most emotion driven actions are.

There are some obvious drawbacks with that arc, no doubt about it. But I guess nothing is perfect, really. Hopefully, the anime might rearrange and shorten some of the events and make the whole thing more cohesive.

@vladyk.

Yes, the anime needs to fix this hot mess. I think with some reordering and leaving things out might help this arc a lot.

For starters, cut out Kyuu and his other friend that was so irrelevant that no one remembers his name. Add Melon's backstory further at the beginning as a foreshadowing of things to come.
Explain the whale thing properly, along with more insight of Jack's special lessons. Involve Zaguan and Sebun a little bit more on some chapters, even if that provokes anime only events. Same for Gouhin and Cherrytown characters.

Also, now that I remember, they literally fucked over Juno in every possible way. That's another negative point to the list.

This fucking sucks. This series presented so many interesting plot points and world building only for them all to get pushed to the side in favor of watching melon be an edge lord for several chapters and then the series just ends on a dime. No satisfying conclusion, no real resolution, it just ends.

I hope the next chapter comes out soon. The last arc wasn't that great but it doesn't mean I don't want to see it through.

@retregas because the good translation team dropped out thanks to a bunch of weirdos on Discord doing the same while adding some really lame jokes on the credits to top it off.

boy that really rant out of steam and fell apart. it feels like it got cancelled early or the author just ran out of ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread