Bitcoin support update | Server load | Doujinshi.org support | Recruiting a UI/UX designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
Bitcoin support update

I'd like to thank everyone who spent time and effort following the previous Bitcoin thread and sent us Bitcoins (and Ethereum as well). We have received a good amount to maintain costs for the next couple of months. If the rate of Bitcoin donations continues at the current rate, then we will be set for a long time. Bitcoin transactions can be claimed by entering your wallet code on the Support page, or PMing me with transaction information if you don't have a wallet code (because you sent the Bitcoins direct from the exchange to our wallet).

Although we recommended Coinbase as the place to get Bitcoins, it would appear that they do require a lot of verification, which isn't ideal, and is understandably off-putting. We have done some research and it looks like there are alternatives which require less strict identification for purchasing smaller volumes of Bitcoin. For example: for Europeans: https://switchere.com/ (apparently up to 100 EUR without registration or verification and up to 500 EUR if phone and email are confirmed) and for the US: https://www.coinmama.com/ (apparently up to 150 USD without identification). If anyone has other suggestions, please post below or let us know via discord or PMs.

Server load

As the quarantine around the world continues, our server load remains very high. In terms of stats, our month-to-month increase in traffic is 13%, which is crazy compared to the average month-to-month increase of around 3%. We are considering our options in terms of server upgrades at the moment. This is dependent on seeing the rate of Bitcoin donations continuing at the current rate, as we do not want to spend beyond our means.

In terms of chapters not loading, sometimes this is beyond our control. For older chapters, it depends on your connection to your nearest Path servers - South East Asia has poor connectivity at peak times because Path do not have any in the region (although they plan on expanding into Australia and Japan, so in the long run, connectivity should improve). For more recent chapters, it depends on your connection to your nearest DDoS-Guard servers. This is beyond our control. At peak times, there could be issues. You can try to mitigate this by either using a VPN and/or switching to single page mode (long strip tries to load many images at the same time, so may lead to loading issues).

Doujinshi.org support

We have recently added support for doujinshi.org in the external links section on title pages. Check them out!

Recruiting a UI/UX designer

We are now recruiting a UI/UX designer to help us improve the design of the site for MangaDex v5. No programming experience is required (but would be advantageous). Please be prepared to show us examples of your previous designs (and if possible, what program(s) you use for your designs). We'd also expect you to be active for the long term - there is no timeline for when v5 might be released, but we're expecting a timeline of months, rather than weeks. MangaDex is a labor of love and all staff work on a purely voluntary basis. To be clear, this is not a paid position.

If you're interested, please apply by joining our Discord server, and ask a member of staff to invite you to the recruitment channel. @Plykiya or @Zephyrus will speak with you when they're around. Or send us an email to dev@
Code:
mangadex.com

EDIT : At this time we will no longer be accepting new applications. Thank you for everyone that has applied thus far!

Finally, have a safe and healthy Easter holiday. Stay home and read manga!

1st! (sorry)

edit: although to add to the substance I can help UI/UX cuz I work with Invision Studio and I know Sketch, but I can't be very committed, how can I help?

edit 2: Also why don't you find a trusted escrow who can collect the money and send it to Mangadex? Someone who is already very public and is very trustworthy and doesn't need the money

Aggregator gang
Hmmm interesting, and as always Thank you for your hard work guys 😊

Power Uploader
well, i think server upgrade is not to necessary cuz right now the web still can serve without so much down time ( in my SEA area), and i was wondering for so long, did we have 3 image server back then? NA/EU 1 & 2 also the rest of world?

Power Uploader
No UX changes please D: Most of them are for the worse and the site looks good already D:

Hope that the UI will be shown off for people to vote/test to see if it’s actually usable.

@williamx You’re asking the largest grey market manga site who moved to bitcoin to increase security to ask someone to willingly and publicly oust themselves.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Westborne

Not at this time, but we're still looking at our options. We'll provide further updates if we manage to come up with something.

Double-page supporter
Do you guys know when you will put the stats page back up it was my main source of finding new manga and while the miniature version on the homepage is definitely satisfactory I REALLY miss being able to open it and being able to see bigger images and more results

You all should look into getting the website verified through Brave. People can earn a crypto called Basic Attention Token (BAT) through just browsing and donate it to websites or streamers. I'm sure people who use Brave would donate their BAT to you.

https://creators.brave.com/

Double-page supporter
Can confirm that VPN helps, if not fixes connectivity issues for Asia. Using NordVPN connected to Canada servers, while it doesn't max out my connection, it's fast enough to not bother me.

If/when you do a ui overhaul could you guys add an option to keep old ui if possible? If people dislike new ui they could just revert instead of complaining in forums.

can you claim ether transactions? I've put in my wallet in and its been stuck on pending for about 3 hours now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread