Boku no Ikezu na Konyakusha - Ch. 2

Dex-chan lover
What kinda works for the misunderstandings here is how much Japanese culture pushes subtext and "reading the mood". The MC isn't actually that wishy washy. He straight up confessed last chapter. He's done a pretty good job of reading both the signs and the female lead's actual feelings. The problem is the signs kinda contradict her actual feelings. Like she doesn't wear the engagement ring and her response to his confession was basically a rejection.

You have to think this is a culture where you don't say no, you say "that's a little..." don't finish the sentence and expect people to get it. Still just trying to learn the basics of Japanese myself, but probably the biggest roadblocks I'm going through is all the implied meanings with sentences. Like directly translated sentences can lack SO MUCH information that you're just supposed to get is implied.

The problem here IS the female lead and I think the author very subtly made it work this chapter by giving us some of her background. As far as I can tell the MC is like her only real social interaction. She grew up "too perfect" for everyone else and never really got social interaction. She's really not even a tsundere (well I guess kinda if its a communication disorder). She's just a socially awkward monkey. She doesn't understand the own subtext in her actions and words on top of being embarrassed in front of her first crush and romantic partner.

Ngl if I was the MC, I'd have moved countries after the first chapter. Kudos on him for not being completely dejected.
Yeah, I think this is a RomCom that is pretty dependent on knowing Japanese culture and subtexts.
It's a lot of misunderstandings that are probably a bit more subtle in the original Japanese text but when translated, it just comes off as a bit too straightforward.

Dex-chan lover
Ugh... Is this girl going to be the obsessive "friend" who thinks they get to decide whether the MC is "good enough" for the FMC?

Dex-chan lover
I understand that sometimes misunderstandings are necessary to develop the plot or chemistry between characters. But holy moly guacamole this is a bit too much. The plot literally relies heavily on misunderstandings and had no other devices other than it and ML's insecurities or FML's tsundere behavior (which of course, involves misunderstandings yet again)
9P87Wbv.jpeg

Imma stick around for a few more chapters before deciding to drop it or nah

Dex-chan lover
The author should show both sides of the misunderstanding instead of show us the Male MC's perspective, that would make it more fun to read the misunderstanding instead of possibly 100+ chapters of frustration lol

Dex-chan lover
And how the hell didn't he see that she really was having fun being with him at the restaurant she even said she was happy to know him and she gave him the biggest smile she has given someone in her life how did he mess up that badly
I, for one, couldn't tell a difference between someone being geuininely happy with my company and them acting polite while fearing for their life.

Dex-chan lover
Omg I forgot how much i hate miscommunication and misunderstandings like these I feel pain reading these knowing how both parties feel while the other think they're hated

And how the hell didn't he see that she really was having fun being with him at the restaurant she even said she was happy to know him and she gave him the biggest smile she has given someone in her life how did he mess up that badly

Ironically he's TOO cultural/genre savvy. His understanding of the specificness of Kyoto passive aggressiveness wrapped around straight back to denseness. He's thinking its chess or checkers, but its just old maid!

Double-page supporter
I mean, if I confessed to a girl and she just said "okay" I'd probe for more answers. Like "okay you'll date me?". Wouldnt just leave it at that.

Then the serving tea twice thing means leaving was so dumb.
Well I'm definitely not saying that protag is a chad or awesome guy. But despite of marrying into a big family and having self issues of not being worthy to the heroine, he still managed to confess his feelings which is huge imo, specially considering that in most of mangas it takes like 200 chapter to confess alone.

Yet he took two more blows after that, heroine not wearing the ring and rejecting his confession. At this point I dont blame him going a little paranoid and over-thinking of every little actions of the girl.

Dex-chan lover
Wow......
That is a bit upsetting
Ending a meetup that was going well was one of the biggest (non life threatening) mess ups I've seen from a misunderstanding..... A big yikes

Well looking at the bright side, it was so sudden that it was more comical than anything else.

Dex-chan lover
Ironically he's TOO cultural/genre savvy. His understanding of the specificness of Kyoto passive aggressiveness wrapped around straight back to denseness. He's thinking its chess or checkers, but its just old maid!
Perfectly said. Him trying not to be dense....just made him act more dense....

Dex-chan lover
(somehow comment the same comment thrice and it's not letting me delete it 😕 oops)

Dex-chan lover
Omg I forgot how much i hate miscommunication and misunderstandings like these I feel pain reading these knowing how both parties feel while the other think they're hated

I kinda like it tbh. Because it's done on purpose, as the main theme of the series. It's not just shoved in there as a plot device.

Users who are viewing this thread