Boku no Ikezu na Konyakusha - Ch. 2

Not really a big fan of miscommunication romcoms, but this pair is really cute. But IMO not enough emotional damage for the girl. She is just "HUH?" sometimes. Most of the anguish is reserved for the boy only, not fair. Little bit sad 'cause I do not expect any progress or emotional crescendo anytime soon.

On the other note - I guess kyoto-ben is really hard to preserve in translation. Kept guessing where are the parts in text that can be misunderstood.

Dex-chan lover
What kinda works for the misunderstandings here is how much Japanese culture pushes subtext and "reading the mood". The MC isn't actually that wishy washy. He straight up confessed last chapter. He's done a pretty good job of reading both the signs and the female lead's actual feelings. The problem is the signs kinda contradict her actual feelings. Like she doesn't wear the engagement ring and her response to his confession was basically a rejection.

You have to think this is a culture where you don't say no, you say "that's a little..." don't finish the sentence and expect people to get it. Still just trying to learn the basics of Japanese myself, but probably the biggest roadblocks I'm going through is all the implied meanings with sentences. Like directly translated sentences can lack SO MUCH information that you're just supposed to get is implied.

The problem here IS the female lead and I think the author very subtly made it work this chapter by giving us some of her background. As far as I can tell the MC is like her only real social interaction. She grew up "too perfect" for everyone else and never really got social interaction. She's really not even a tsundere (well I guess kinda if its a communication disorder). She's just a socially awkward monkey. She doesn't understand the own subtext in her actions and words on top of being embarrassed in front of her first crush and romantic partner.

Ngl if I was the MC, I'd have moved countries after the first chapter. Kudos on him for not being completely dejected.

Dex-chan lover
And how the hell didn't he see that she really was having fun being with him at the restaurant she even said she was happy to know him and she gave him the biggest smile she has given someone in her life how did he mess up that badly
Was too fixated on the whole tea request = "I want to go home" to notice things going in any other way, I guess

Dex-chan lover
Sorata you dumbass it's CHAZUKE you have to look out for not normal tea! You think one cup of tea is enough for people???

Dex-chan lover
I admit I forgot what this was about, and assumed I was reading a snake girl yokai manga until I went and re-read chap 1. :facepalm:

Is that true though? The tea part?
Yes and no. If you're served tea after spending some time at a place, unprompted and unrequested, that means the staff want you to go away. Same thing if you've spent some time at somebody's home. But if you're served tea immediately, that's just regular hospitality. So our dude here is just being an overthinking dipshit.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is exhausting, each chapter is like a volume's worth of misunderstandings

Dex-chan lover
Its a little different than unusual denseness tho.

Protag actually managed to confess his feelings in the first chapter, but the heroine answered as "ookini" which is a kind way of rejecting / passing it in the general sense of japanese. She didnt meant that, but considering she doesnt wear the ring as well no wonder protag thinks that she doesnt like him / doesnt want to be fiance.

So now, Protag thinks that the heroine forces herself to spend time with him and obviously over-thinking every situtation, not want to be over pushy etc. TBH I'd say more than half issue lays with the heroine, protag did a very good confession just answer him in a proper way and its all gucci.

Basically imagine confessing to a girl and getting "OK" as an answer, and despite that dude is still trying to built a good relationship with her.
I mean, if I confessed to a girl and she just said "okay" I'd probe for more answers. Like "okay you'll date me?". Wouldnt just leave it at that.

Then the serving tea twice thing means leaving was so dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread