Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu - Vol. 4 Ch. 46 - I've Been Dragged Away

Contributor
@Cantsearchwithtachiyomi that's not a translation only problem, it happens a lot when the proofreader/editor doesn't read the translated text within the context of the scene, but just as a separated block of text.

Dex-chan lover
No extra chapter first? I hope you guys aren't slamming the mainline chapters only now

I like reading the main chapter and then getting some extra deserts with the Twitter chapter.

Dex-chan lover
@lolfacesayshi that's because there's no extra twitter chapters between 45 and 46. There's a couple of one page extras between 46 and 47 though. You can check the author's twitter page for chronological order lol. https://twitter.com/lovely_pig328

And there are probably some extras that comes with the physical edition of vol.3

Dex-chan lover
Aaaah. Holy shit this was sweet. Ichikawa is...well, he's sensitive to things like this, but he's generally pretty good at reading the room and predicting the wants and needs of others this way.
Meanwhile, Yamada is just having a happy date.

The escalator thing I assume is because this way men can look at their girlfriends at eye-level, which certainly doesn't apply to these two.

Group Leader
This gave me huge Nana to Kaoru vibes. Please so the turtleshell binding to her so you can have a sliver of confidence, man.

Dex-chan lover
@MeganeR

Ah alright, so it's just the next chapter this time.

And yes, I know the Twitter extras are on the author's Twitter, but that way lies spoilers.

Dex-chan lover
They can't be any more obvious about their feelings if they tried.

Aggregator gang
Tagging @KingNova777 because it might interest him too.
@Cantsearchwithtachiyomi @Zikakuto @Quaysan this series is indeed hard to translate (or so I'm told).
>I feel like the LQ version more makes sense in some places, especially judging by the character's reactions
Regarding this, I feel like I need to elaborate a bit on the process of scanlating, so that people know what's going on.
First there is the main translator's draft. Then, another translator controls the translation, and makes comments on each line, where needed. Then, the first translator checks again the objections from the translation-checker, and finally a script of the "right" translation is put out.
Then, on this script the proofreader (we have two just on this series) changes what needs to be changed to make everything flow better in english. The changes are commented by the main translator, in the case the proofreader alterations distort the original japanese meaning, which happens quite a few times each chapter. Then, the final proofread script is ready.
This process can take days.
In the meantime, if I'm not busy working (yep, that's what some folks still need to do) or studying, me or Jaeg start typesetting with the "wrong" script, so that once the script is ready, I can change everything to fit the final script. Thing is that sometimes even the best translation doesn't work when put on the page, for many reasons (doesn't fit the character behaviour in that panel, or doesn't fit the bubble (happens often on 1200h shitty raws)). After the typeset is ready, the proofreader and the main translator give it a quick look to find if there's something wrong, and then it gets uploaded.
And, almost always, this process isn't enough, since I usually reupload the same chapter a few times to fix very minor stuff. A few weeks ago I was reuploading some extra from vol. 1, since the translator spotted a mistake (I don't remember neither the mistake or the chapter).
And I don't want to mention the redraws, which can take hours.
And mistake do happen, even if so many people are involved!
And this is the process for every chapter we upload.
Now, I'm not saying that our version is objectively better translation wise (we already know it is editing wise), but we really strive to keep the original meaning of the japanese version, and lose as little as possible in the translation.
That's the difference between just "guessing" the meaning from google translate, and then editing the sentences so heavily to make them make sense, and trying to preserve the original nuances of the original script (and man, there are so, so many.
In the first case you'll get the general meaning, you'll understand the overall sense of the chapter, but you completely lose the little details that make this manga so interesting.
But who am I to judge!
Sometimes I was so starved with reading the story that I read the chapters in spanish (I'm not spanish and I don't know the language) just to guess what the fuck was about to happen, but that was a long ago and, since I started scanlating, I've learned to not just appreciate the manga itself, but also the work that the scanlators put into it - so much that I drop manga if the scanlation team is incompetent and the typesetting isn't on point. But that's just me being autistic.

@giolleau @gangstercat
c090c6a4-00f1-4469-8f79-2be9f1d60104.png

Dex-chan lover
@andrescutieri if you need to tie up your partner to gain confidence then you are doing it for entirely the wrong reasons.
Ichikawa will make a good sub to Yamadas domme, though.

Users who are viewing this thread