Boku no Suki na Hito ga Suki na Hito - Ch. 20

Dex-chan lover
It's a weird unspoken rule where guys shouldn't interfere with yuri relationships in mangas, but if he's just there and if it's one (or both) 'yuri' girls giving him some type of attention that bowls over into something else, then boom, we might just have the premise of a story. This might be good. 🤓🖋
Stupid ass rule and I'm aware of the trope and honestly. Paint the Lily red. Purity is meant to be tainted.

Dex-chan lover
Not same energy because Myaa being in love with Asahi was established from the beginning, the yuri was always a possibility no matter how much some whined about it.

The opposite is basically never the case for yuri, rare exceptions aside.
how? at the start we also get why Asahi likes Sora, so, how yuri is a possibility since she was a kid she was already in love with a boy?

Dex-chan lover
I mean sure but that doesn't mean Asahi is gay or has ever had any indication of seeing Myaa as anything more than a close friend. Unless the author wants to change "close friend" to "potential love interest" through sheer ass pull. Because unless this girl has shown any inclination of seeing girls in a sexual light that isn't sheer bait. Myaa will never get her interested in her.
We also never saw Myaa seemingly show any actual interest in Sora either, look at where we are now, so Asahi falling for Myaa is definitely on the table too, but more likely as a poly with Sora than only Myaa x Asahi in my opinion.

Hard to say where it'll go since until a few chapters ago none of us though Myaa actually felt anything for Sora, so better not make any assumptions about Asahi now.
No one who could understand basic media literacy actually thought that Asahi X Myaa with Sora left out in the cold was ever a real possibility (especially when Myaa utterly refused to do ANYTHING to actually confess to or seduce her crush who likewise never thought about her in a romantic or sexual way)
You really shouldn't make assumptions, sometimes mangakas do pull that kinda of thing, not super common but it happens, hell I can remember at least one manga where the two girls got together and the dude ended alone lol

The possibility is definitely there, it's just really unlikely.
The idea is about as stupid as the idiots who said Suletta and Miorine would never end up together because "how is forcing two straight girls into an arranged marriage yuri".
Eh, I argue Suletta and Miorine isn't exactly same situation, a lot of western fans threw a fit simply because it was relationship between two girls, independent of why and how well done, so a lot of the complaints wasn't even done in good faith.
No one with taste thinks Korra was good because the writers were high on the "enlightened centrist" bullshit compared to the original's writers.

That's why all racism is solved forever by electing Not!Barrack Obama and the leader of the "non-benders are discriminated against" rebellion is exposed as an evil hypocritical bender and his followers leave him.
You do know not everyone really cares about all the politics in Korra right? The cartoon had its issues I don't deny that, but many peoppe found it good independt of the flaws.
No one with taste thinks
Taste is like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink, you shouldn't assume your taste is better than others, God knows what kind of garbage you must be into
anyone who knows about Korra's ending knows it was because of Nickledeon's censorship fucking over any attempt at showing and developing lesbian pairing on screen :V
Kinda disagree. That's cope. Even if censorship was a thing there still should've been more focus to see the relationship in that way. Otherwise you wouldn't need to confirm it outside of the stated media.

Just look at ATLA censoring themselves about genocide but still managed to get the point across that Aang is the last Airbender. It's possible to do they just didn't do it and just shoehorned in a gay ending
Violence is okay, gays are not, like how some cartoons can have a lot of violence but God forbids it shows anything slightly sexual, so there was definitely more pushback against anything gay some years ago, Korra was before cartoon closet was opened, so anything queer was basically mostly taboo

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ok, to be a bit more serious here, I feel I should explain the translation on page 25. What I've translated as "You are absolved." was originally「お疲れ様でした」(Otsukaresamadeshita). I spent an ungodly amount of time agonizing over this choice. As any good weeb knows, this can mean "good work", said to a colleague at the end of the day. It can also, frustratingly, mean a huge amount of related but not entirely equivalent things (only second in vagueness to the dreaded yoroshiku onegaishimasu).

At first glance, you might say we can just directly translate it as "good work", but to me this is not encapsulating the entire nuance of the line. Let's look at what Miya is actually saying. It's at once an acknowledgement of Sora carrying the guilt of blaming himself for his brother's passing, but also an assurance that he need suffer no longer (the past tense でした is used implying the topic at hand is finished). What it isn't, however, is an expression of appreciation from Miya, or saying anything about Sora's efforts personally benefiting Miya, which is how the phrase is usually used.

So what does "good work" mean? Sora is not doing work or putting in effort per se. You could say "good job bearing that burden" or "good job handling that guilt", but this seems to imply that all of that suffering was for some purpose or fruitful in some way. This is not the right nuance, in my opinion. Sora's self inflicted guilty conscience does not benefit anyone, and translating this line with any sort of positive affirmation is, in my opinion, wrong. Furthermore, none of these options fulfil the second half of the meaning, an acknowledgment that Sora's ordeal is at an end.

So considering all of this, I went with "You are absolved." which doesn't look like it's related to the original text in any way, but it conveys the two meanings in my interpretation: an acknowledgement of Sora's ordeal, and also an assurance that the ordeal is over. The tradeoff being I don't think this is at all realistic for a high school student to say in that situation, which is a factor I do consider when translating dialogue. I've racked my brain to try to provide a concise line that conveys all the nuance of what I believe the original conveys, and there are of course flaws with my final decision. I hope you can see how much thought is put into the translation, and why MTL/AI/translators who don't speak either language fluently are not good for anyone's enjoyment of the medium.

TL;DR I made it up :meguu:
well in the same chapter we have Miya being an avid reader (part of literature club), so her having extra knowledge from books/stories that expression didn’t felt unnatural. (and we as readers also knew about her liking of literature from the past chapter with the ex club mates).
so, thanks for the hard work :D

Dex-chan lover
how? at the start we also get why Asahi likes Sora, so, how yuri is a possibility since she was a kid she was already in love with a boy?
You do know bisexuals exist right? As far as we know Myaa was only into Asahi, look at how things have turned, plus we don't know Asahi sexuality just as we don't know Myaa sexuality, since they never openly say what they're into, so Asahi liking a boy literally means nothing, she can still fall for Myaa too.

All we can do now is wait to see if author will close the triangle and see where it goes from there.

Dex-chan lover
Not same energy because Myaa being in love with Asahi was established from the beginning, the yuri was always a possibility no matter how much some whined about it.

The opposite is basically never the case for yuri, rare exceptions aside.
I don't know what cope you're taking if you genuinely believe yuri was always a possibility.

Asahi is as straight as an arrow and has never shown even an inkling of romantic interest towards Miya. That happening would be some real Korrasami tier garbage pandering.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for your hard work, SL teams.

Anyway, I Like this one. Feels natural enough for both of them and personally like how the author tying the plot with the backstory.

I guess the endgame should be how Akizuki's trying to differentiate affection that he has for others and proceed with the right ones and its Sora-Asahi for me🤞

Dex-chan lover
So Sora feels responsible for his brother, and hated that his brother never once felt jealous, or angry at him. Because he felt he deserved those things. He's always working hard to make sure everyone's happy, but when he can't make them happy, when they're hiding their pain, he feels lost.

So Miya taunting him, and insulting him? It's all to make sure he knows there's someone there who truly understands his pain. What an interesting take on "bullying" dynamics.

I'm still not 100% sure about the harshness of Miya though. She doesn't need to be on his case all the time.

Dex-chan lover
Ok, to be a bit more serious here, I feel I should explain the translation on page 25. What I've translated as "You are absolved." was originally「お疲れ様でした」(Otsukaresamadeshita). I spent an ungodly amount of time agonizing over this choice. As any good weeb knows, this can mean "good work", said to a colleague at the end of the day. It can also, frustratingly, mean a huge amount of related but not entirely equivalent things (only second in vagueness to the dreaded yoroshiku onegaishimasu).

At first glance, you might say we can just directly translate it as "good work", but to me this is not encapsulating the entire nuance of the line. Let's look at what Miya is actually saying. It's at once an acknowledgement of Sora carrying the guilt of blaming himself for his brother's passing, but also an assurance that he need suffer no longer (the past tense でした is used implying the topic at hand is finished). What it isn't, however, is an expression of appreciation from Miya, or saying anything about Sora's efforts personally benefiting Miya, which is how the phrase is usually used.

So what does "good work" mean? Sora is not doing work or putting in effort per se. You could say "good job bearing that burden" or "good job handling that guilt", but this seems to imply that all of that suffering was for some purpose or fruitful in some way. This is not the right nuance, in my opinion. Sora's self inflicted guilty conscience does not benefit anyone, and translating this line with any sort of positive affirmation is, in my opinion, wrong. Furthermore, none of these options fulfil the second half of the meaning, an acknowledgment that Sora's ordeal is at an end.

So considering all of this, I went with "You are absolved." which doesn't look like it's related to the original text in any way, but it conveys the two meanings in my interpretation: an acknowledgement of Sora's ordeal, and also an assurance that the ordeal is over. The tradeoff being I don't think this is at all realistic for a high school student to say in that situation, which is a factor I do consider when translating dialogue. I've racked my brain to try to provide a concise line that conveys all the nuance of what I believe the original conveys, and there are of course flaws with my final decision. I hope you can see how much thought is put into the translation, and why MTL/AI/translators who don't speak either language fluently are not good for anyone's enjoyment of the medium.

TL;DR I made it up :meguu:
Author and artist when they say they used imagery because it looks cool be like:

Dex-chan lover
My two cents:

1. The only ones that enjoy shoehorned yuri in otherwise normal stories are annoying women and cuckold men

2. Korra was slop that only added yuri for fetish reasons (if they really cared about lgbt they would've added gay men)

Users who are viewing this thread