Booty Royale: Never Go Down Without A Fight!

Dex-chan lover
@cjopaze I think it's a matter of friendliness or non-friendliness, it's just that transsexuality is often used for such things in ecchi manga. Futari Ecchi did it, Rui did it, etc. I'm not a trans person, it's hard for me to talk about whether it's offensive or not, though. But if you are looking for positive representation outside of purposefully trans work, then I might suggest Blue Period, which has recently received an anime adaptation. This is a seinen about a school painting club and from what I've heard, one of the characters is canonically non-binary.

There was also another shoujo manga where one of the male lead friends was a trans woman in love with him, but this is a rather controversial work with a large age gap, so if you want, write it down, I'll look for the name.

Group Leader
@cjopaze Yes, Miya literally introduced herself as an "MtF" (written out in roman characters) in her introductory chapter. It surprised me, considering how I've never seen anyone in manga refer to themselves in that way. It's also the first time I've seen HRT and SRS openly referred to. Miya is definitely trans, and views herself as such. However, most of the other characters call her an otoko no ko, which usually implies a cross dresser or femboy. It seems to me that they aren't doing this vague misgendering out of malice, but because the mainstream Japaneae population simply doesn't realize that there is a difference yet. Even her father, who is pretty insistent on using her birth name, is relatively accepting of Miya's decisions. Its certainly unusual how progressive Hagure Idol is on this front!

Dex-chan lover
@Odoritomaki I don't know about progressiveness, but personally I think that their behavior was just a joke to emphasize their reaction to Mia's "weirdness". This is a very common development for queer characters for relatively mainstream manga, remember how homosexuality or bisexuality was handled in past volumes.

Oh my dog I just binged the first two and a half volumes and I did NOT expect this manga to be that engrossing. What a mix of balls-to-the-wall craziness, shameless depravity, basic but interesting social commentary/parody and instantly memorable characters. Great art, great action and martial arts scenes. Heartwarming moments on one page, then the villains get away scot-free the next page and they make a dark joke about it. I love it.
I'm probably giving this way too much credit, but don't be put off by the tags and give it a few chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Seriously? We ran out of pages and it still isn't done with the fucking tournament arc?

I'd score this manga higher if it wasn't for this damned tournament arc. What a let-down to an otherwise good series.
At least there are intermediary chapters so it isn't just an uninterrupted stream of boring duels.

Power Uploader
Fuck you author, first baiting people in with the ecchi stuff and then changing the theme because no one wants to read your shit martial arts manga in the normal way, what a scummy thing to do.

it's crazy to see Takato-sensei himself having a Dex account and leaving a comment in one of the chapters lmao

Users who are viewing this thread