Boy's Abyss - Vol. 15 Ch. 150 - Birthday

Dex-chan lover
Lurking through japanese SNS (using the shounen no abyss hashtag in japanese)... the reception was very mixed towards negative.

•X users are either disappointed at Yuri, can't understand what's happening or realize Reiji has become just like his mom (this one also joked about the nice boat meme, referencing that School days finale).

•Ryo isn't giving likes to anybody who think Yuri deserves her happy end in the replies for her weekly chapter release blurb. She usually gives likes to some replies, but this time, she just reduced to give likes to some who found Nagi cute or doing some silly remark about reaching 30 years old just like yuri lmaoooo.

•2ch is divided. Either they want Yuri to win or think this is a reenact of that timeframe where Yuko and Uryu were dating and shit may not end well for her.

So, even the most popular character is not inmune.

Dex-chan lover
•Ryo isn't giving likes to anybody who think Yuri deserves her happy end in the replies for her weekly chapter release blurb. She usually gives likes to some replies, but this time, she just reduced to give likes to some who found Nagi cute or doing some silly remark about reaching 30 years old just like yuri lmaoooo.

•2ch is divided. Either they want Yuri to win or think this is a reenact of that timeframe where Yuko and Uryu were dating and shit may not end well for her.

So, even the most popular character is not immune.
Yuri doesn't deserve a happy ending, she deserves to be put in jail or should just fucking die.
I'm starting to feel Reiji deserves to die too unless he's able to be saved, or better, save himself.

I mean he's intentionally denying other people's help because they're happier than he is.
That's pretty fucked up, and while I understand that feeling, it's selfish, egotistical and cruel to everyone who cares about him.
Like sure, Yuri is even worse than Reiji in many ways, but that isn't the point, it's what he's doing and why, not who he's doing it to.

Anyone who genuinely thinks Yuri and Reiji should be together are a fool, they're awful for and to each other, not to mention the legality and morality of the situation.

Dex-chan lover
Reiji going down the same path Yuko did—staying in town, covering the loneliness with surface-level relationships, becoming a hollow shell that keeps people stuck in the neverending abyss—was honestly a plenty obvious endgame material. That said, there are wildcards this time around: Chako saw the light, and Nagi, the cascade trigger, was finally back in the picture.

Frankly I can't help but think that where this goes from now on depends entirely on Nagi. Reiji can either become the new abyss, or he can be the end to the cycle.

Neither is a good ending for Yuri.

Dex-chan lover
Btw, maybe the end is nearer than we thought.
Go to Ryo's twitter and translate the last post she did: although it's a reflection of her state of herself after finishing a serialization (comparing herself with Urashima Taro) and how she takes it as a lesson, it may hint the approximate moment this manga will end.

Hopefully this goes up to vol. 17 (chapt. 170-171) or up to vol. 18. It would feel off if this ends around chapt. 160-161, considering Yuko and Akira's final days still haven't happened.

Frankly I can't help but think that where this goes from now on depends entirely on Nagi. Reiji can either become the new abyss, or he can be the end to the cycle.

Actually this. Considering SnA's weeks are now numbered. Let's hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. One bad placed sentence or feeling, and Reiji/Nagi will be pushed to the point of not returning.

Anyways, Yuko became lile that because Akira rejected and ashamed her persona, only for having been tainted. Doubt Reiji and/or Nagi will repeat the same mistake. Akira told Yuko some hurtful shit that made Yuko be like that.

The story also gave too much emphasis on how women (featuring Reiji, as he came to the same conclusion with chapter 150) fear rejection and abandonment the most.

Dex-chan lover
Nagi is there to ruin this boy's life again. Go away you biatch.
Let him live happily with sensei!

Dex-chan lover
Well, he was 17 back during their affair together, but I thought after the post-hospital timeskip, when we saw him as a high school dropout, he had become of age.
Yeah, I see what you mean. But nah, he just dropped out, but even before this chapter and after he dropped out, there wasn't any mention of his birthday or his age, or any implication of it changing from when it was last established.

As far as I know, even though we did get time skips throughout the series, like after heavy arcs that result in injuries or hospitals, it's usually only a few days or weeks, maybe a month, at most, iirc. They usually mention how long but it's easy to miss cause its like a quick throwaway one-liner exposition mixed in the midst of other context/exposition in the form of conversations, so it's easy to miss tbf.

But yeah, like this chapter re-establishes/reminds us, the day he met Nagi was his 17th birthday, and I think Chapter 1 too, or at least the first Nagi arc ending with Yuri stopping them and banging Reiji was at least the first story arc.

Either way, he met Nagi on his 17th birthday, so it's only been ten months since the entire series began.

This story is so shit it's actually hilarious every chapter is the same format🤣

Dex-chan lover
But yeah, like this chapter re-establishes/reminds us, the day he met Nagi was his 17th birthday, and I think Chapter 1 too, or at least the first Nagi arc ending with Yuri stopping them and banging Reiji was at least the first story arc.

Either way, he met Nagi on his 17th birthday, so it's only been ten months since the entire series began.
That was a wordplay that got lost in translation.

Tanjoubi means birthday , both about the celebration, but also about the day you were born. Yuri was asking Reiji about the day he was born, and when he remembered the day Nagi lit that cigarrette, he said to himself "ore no... tanjou..." without the -bi at the end (thus, it becomes my... birth. Better adapted as "the moment... i was born"), meaning the moment he feels he actually was born (thus, going full circle with the punchline from the end of the 1st chapter: "My life (death) begins here"). It's not actually his biological birthday, but his spiritual birthday, the moment he started to realize he was just a puppet and that his life wasn't going anywhere in that town.

That gives more weight to Yuri's question on when does he turn 18... because Reiji was wandering on his thoughts. For him, his biological birthday means shit compared to the moment he considers his birthday.

BTW, i read the RAWs.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That was a wordplay that got lost in translation.

Tanjoubi means birthday , both about the celebration, but also about the day you were born. Yuri was asking Reiji about the day he was born, and when he remembered the day Nagi lit that cigarrette, he said to himself "ore no... tanjou..." (my... birth. Better adapted as "the moment... i was born"), meaning the moment he feels he actually was born (thus, going full circle with the punchline from the end of the 1st chapter: "My life (death) begins here"). It's not actually his biological birthday, but his spiritual birthday.

That gives more weight to Yuri's question on when does he turn 18... because Reiji was wandering on his thoughts. For him, his biological birthday means shit compared to the moment he considers his birthday.

BTW, i read the RAWs.
Ah hype, yeah, I know what tanjoubi means and have like the most basic of understandings of Japanese, though it's mostly from hearing it spoken in anime and reading and learning the kanas from RAWs and sfx lol only thing I can't fully memorize and haven't fully started teaching myself is all the Kanji lol

But alright yeah so while Yuri meant it in a literal sense, Reiji was thinking of his birthday and replied with the figurative/metaphorical sense?

It's that kinda shit that makes me miss some of the super old fansub groups that used to add TNs to the subs whenever they said something that couldn't be translated fully without losing some meaning and would just leave the original Japanese word in haha (shoutout to Kaizoku-Fansubs and their One Piece subs, and the original Death Note manga fansubber that started the "All according to keikkaku tn: Keikkaku means plan" guy lmfao)

Appreciate the tidbit though, I know there's like dictionaries worth of nuance lost in every translation, official or fan, so it's nice to get these bits somewhere at least lol

Dex-chan lover
Once 151 comes out... some will rage, and a few ones will be squealing like fangirls.
Nagi went back to The Town because she wanted to see Reiji and talk with him.

Dex-chan lover
Once 151 comes out... some will rage, and a few ones will be squealing like fangirls.
Nagi went back to The Town because she wanted to see Reiji and talk with him.
Have you read it?
The crossed out section was already mentioned before, so I assume there is more?

Dex-chan lover
Have you read it?
The crossed out section was already mentioned before, so I assume there is more?
Don't wanna say too much 'till the translated chapter comes out, but:
It's a setup chapter. Yuri got a letter from Kazumasa too and found an hour to bring that to Reiji. Reiji found out about Yuri stealing Nagi's phone, and he said a lil bit more on why he can't accept Shino'oka's help. It's bc he's guilty for the things Yuko did to her.

Dex-chan lover
YES!! But at the same time, NO!!!!

I don't know anymore...

Feels like that's the fastest a promise has been broken. I don't think he can resist Nagi.

Guys, put me down for $5 on Nagi end.
Please. When he has hold a promise, he still goes with whatever was he told last.

He told Gen he was going to wait, he told Chako he loved her before trying to kill her, he told teacher they be together too. Nagi is just the last one.

Aggregator gang
oh how much I despise Nagi. literally the most unnecessary character in the entire series. I feel like her entire purpose is to just throw him back into the pit whenever he gets a chance to climb out. He's had a good talk with Chako? Nagi pulls up. Yuir confessed to him? Nagi pulls up. He has reached a state of acceptance? Nagi pulls up. ffs, just die or fuck off already

Users who are viewing this thread