Browser discussions. Does the perfect Web-Navi exist?

Dex-chan lover
[sar]It may come as a shock[/sar]

I've had more then my fair share of emogi, image, link, and thread content rendering issues since the forums reopened
and have been on a quest to find a browser that has the pros and none of the cons connected to the browsers I currently have.

Is there a web-navi in existence that's compatible with both mangadex sites?

Dex-chan lover
Pale Moon came close, but is now no longer usable for the main site.
Opera is next best, but everything seems a bit fuzzy and the Lucid function actually makes the image clarity even more grainy.
Edge the graphics are clearest, but in the forum some emogis, all Twitter feed widgets and a lot of image inserts don't work.
Firefox the graphics are nearly as clear as Edge and the emogi Edge won't load do in FF, but the Twitter feed widgets image insert that cause Edge trouble won't load in FF.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Is there a web-navi in existence that's compatible with both mangadex sites?
all i care about when it comes to web-browsers is:
  • MRU (Most Recently Used) Tabs
  • Vertical Tabs
  • UI costumization
  • Screenshot tool (Ctrl+Shift+S)
  • uBo (with google's MV3 uBo will be pretty much ded on Chrome)

Firefox the graphics are nearly as clear as Edge and the emogi Edge won't load do in FF, but the Twitter feed widgets image insert that cause Edge trouble won't load in FF.
like 2 weeks ago more or less (propably on FF ver. 109), i didn't notice any abnormal behavior with emojis, emoji's were doing the animation just fine. and about a week ago their animation stopped functioning properly.

Dex-chan lover
Firefox 111.0 (64 Bit) I discovered a Twittercommunity.com post on Bing that clued me into the fact the tracking protection feature in Firefox could block Java scripts from Twitter. When I disabled it on the Mangadex Forum site the widget and graphic related fails I mentioned before were cured.

At the moment Firefox is shaping up to be my favorite browser option, but I think I'll also check to see if Edge's tracking protection may be the cause of Edges glitch as well.

:win:

Dex-chan lover
Edge 111.0 (64 Bit) After Noticing the tracker protection was in Balanced Mode, but the toggle for use strict protection in Inprivate Mode, I toggled the option off and Edge now loads the Images and stream embeds properly.
Yet Edge can still not render plunger emotes. 🪠 :unsure:

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
I'm a big fan of vivaldi, especially because its one of the few browsers that get vertical tabs right, allow for a split window view and is 100% compatible with chrome etensions. Can recommend!

Fed-Kun's army
I'm a big fan of vivaldi, especially because its one of the few browsers that get vertical tabs right, allow for a split window view and is 100% compatible with chrome etensions. Can recommend!
its one of the few browsers that get vertical tabs right

no, wat? how dare you say is one of the few browsers that get vertical tabs right? theres no better browser than firefox when it comes to vertical tabs, just copy-paste the code from a github repo.
but yeah, to my knowledge vivaldi is the only chromium-based browser that comes with a feature like vertical tabs.

i've surfed a weebit around their forums and it seems you can customize the UI via a js file or something. i would switch over to vivaldi if i could manage to make tabs auto-hide and vertical tabs auto-hide aswell, that way i would make use of the entire screen (thats a perfect browser for me). dont tell me about F11.

100% compatible with chrome etensions.

dont mess around. its a chromium-based browser.

I'll expand on Vivaldi a bit:
It spoiled browsers for me, lol. It's frankly so much ahead on UX side of things compared to any other chromium browsers. (Can't say about FF, because I don't like FF and migrating from chromium to chromium is much less pain as I can retain all the extensions and even keep stuff like indexeddb storage). Workspaces are amazing. Sidebar needed some time to get used to, but is nice to have. The tab stacks are also cool. Customizability is absolutely insane and because its UI is also html - with enabling one flag you can even add your own css styling to the entire browser (for example I moved some buttons around). And if you're okay with running an install script every time browser updates - even custom JS add-ons. Oh, and you also can customize the hell out of context menu for everything. Don't like that clutter when you right click on something? Yeet it out! Browser has a lot of features that are not exactly must-haves but are just very nice to have.

...it's not without issues, however. They did improve some aspects of it, but it still has a lot.
  • Performance degradation over time is insane. I have to restart the browser a few times a day just so it stop slogging around.
  • It doesn't like having a lot of tabs open. When I work I tend to open over 100 tabs and switch between, and that absolutely murders the performance.
  • The pop-up windows are very busted. It doesn't respect requested styling and even crash for some, for example paymentwall popup WILL crash Vivaldi.
  • Opening new windows is extremely slow compared to other chromiums, and paired with first two issues - it can take up to several seconds for it to open a new window.
  • Closing the window also can cause entire browser to freeze for 3-10 seconds if you sent tabs to hibernate before closing or closed a workspace window (actually just a few months ago browser would plain crash if you'd close the window that had tabs in the process of being hibernated).
  • Same goes for new tabs - it can and will hickup. It has an annoying bug where you open a new tab, it shows you panels, I click on panel and it then it goes "oh hey, I opened a new tab! I gotta finish initializing it!" and cancels opening the website I just clicked to. Also Ctrl+T -> start writing in address bar muscle memory will screw you up, as it has a lag before you can start typing, otherwise it'll just ignore your input.
  • Extensions work by the most part. Mostly. Had a few hickups, mainly with old extensions. The extension button bar is unpleasant in a way that you can't reorder the buttons, only hide/show them. And it can randomly decide to freeze up when opening an extension popup when clicking said buttons. + sometimes it just starts to lag horribly inside those popups. Also extensions don't work in pages you open via sidebar (as you can put custom urls into those).

So yeah, it would be a great browser if not for performance and stability issues. I'll admit, last major update DID improve performance and stability quite a lot. Funnily enough they did that exactly when I was starting to think that technical problems outweigh the UX niceties of the browser and was beginning to look into other browsers. Still using Vivaldi, because while performance is bad, the UX is plain better than anything else I have used so far.

100% compatible with chrome etensions.

As mentioned above - not really 100%. Heck, their forums have a dedicated place where people can report extension incompatibilities.

Dex-chan lover
Firefox since 2004.
I am currently switching to Brave.

Never EVER Microsoft products even if they are included in the package. I was just forced to use MS OS @ work and @ laptop because of the convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread