Citrus + - Vol. 6 Ch. 36 - September 30th through October 4th

Dex-chan lover
You didn't... Oh no, you really did... When there was finally some good communication, you went and dropped that massive nuke! And she just got on a friendly basics/kindred spirits with the man.

Dex-chan lover
I swear Mei is treated and acts like she's 30 instead of 17. That's part of why their relationship feels so weird.

The other part is her obsession with keeping alive a private, gender-specific school for rich elites steeped in oppressive traditions just for the sake of some weird expectations I don't even know why she would care about.

She's in a sapphic relationship with her stepsister yet more invested in keeping alive a dated institution that used to outright forbid sapphic relationships. Clearly she doesn't care about social norms or expectations that much, or she wouldn't have announced an engagement to her stepsister at the age of 17.

I just can't wrap my head around it. If I were her, I'd tell her grandfather to fuck off, sell off the school to the highest bidder, and have a nice foreign wedding with Yuzu. Her weird insistence on finding some in-between path, especially when she puts that path above Yuzu and her feelings, is just so bizarre.

Dex-chan lover
I just can't wrap my head around it. If I were her, I'd tell her grandfather to fuck off, sell off the school to the highest bidder, and have a nice foreign wedding with Yuzu. Her weird insistence on finding some in-between path, especially when she puts that path above Yuzu and her feelings, is just so bizarre.
Some cultures put more emphasis into paying your 'debt' to your family for raising you, and to keep it prosperous, it makes perfect sense for an elite japanese family to imprint such expectations even more heavily then the average japanese person, and Mei is clearly too attached to those ideals to even reflect on the problems of that system itself. I don't know if it's intentional, but she feels very autistic coded, and people on the spectrum tend to hyperfocus or overattach themselves to certain rules of living because it makes life easier to follow, and Yuzu feels like the one deprograming the more harmful parts of it in her mind (that she has to sacrifice her happiness for her family, that school needs to follow strict behavioral guidelines, that life's all about one's work and family, etc.)

Dex-chan lover
Well yeah, that's how she rolls from the beginning. It came back to bite her in the ass a few chapters back because she prioritised her work over Yuzu's birthday celebration.
Well, she was fully like that in the beginning but Yuzu actually did help with school work and to help develop Mei's human parts some more. The author just decided that Mei HAS to be some emotionless robot and almost completely regressed her to a point ~60 chapters ago.
It sadly has been only like 4 chapters but more than a whole year but I clearly remember commenting on how shit it was writing-wise. And it still persists with Mei actively neglecting Yuzu, doing less than bare minimum and doing nothing to relieve her worries other than gaslighting her into thinking that she is being a problem and that Mei has to be trusted with no actions to reinforce that idea. But here is to hope that the next year (3 chapters) will fix that random ass forced bs :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
Some cultures put more emphasis into paying your 'debt' to your family for raising you, and to keep it prosperous, it makes perfect sense for an elite japanese family to imprint such expectations even more heavily then the average japanese person, and Mei is clearly too attached to those ideals to even reflect on the problems of that system itself. I don't know if it's intentional, but she feels very autistic coded, and people on the spectrum tend to hyperfocus or overattach themselves to certain rules of living because it makes life easier to follow, and Yuzu feels like the one deprograming the more harmful parts of it in her mind (that she has to sacrifice her happiness for her family, that school needs to follow strict behavioral guidelines, that life's all about one's work and family, etc.)

I think this is probably the explanation the author wants us to land on, but I still find it hard to accept. Autistic individuals can end up letting rules and laws simplify things or guide them, but I've found that they're even more likely to not understand or challenge these rules. Mei hasn't ran into a rule she hasn't blindly accepted at first; she rarely seems to ever evaluate if the rule has merit or not. Yuzu had to convince her very hard for some of the small changes.

So Mei comes across in a different way than many autistic individuals. Of course not everyone is the same, and the term autism itself is an oversimplification of what are probably dozens of similar yet distinct conditions that we haven't learned how to separate yet, so it's impossible to make any real determinations.

Still, I'd love a chapter where we actually got to see some internal monologue from Mei.

Reactions: Tlo
Dex-chan lover
Yuzu
90j7nw.gif

At this point I will even take harumi and matsuri crumbs because I'm sure I will die without seeing them together.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The other part is her obsession with keeping alive a private, gender-specific school for rich elites steeped in oppressive traditions just for the sake of some weird expectations I don't even know why she would care about.

She's in a sapphic relationship with her stepsister yet more invested in keeping alive a dated institution that used to outright forbid sapphic relationships. Clearly she doesn't care about social norms or expectations that much, or she wouldn't have announced an engagement to her stepsister at the age of 17.
If I remember correctly, she wants the school culture to evolve, which was part of her plans (beyond the points others have already made). I also seem to remember her wanting to leave after all this but I haven't reread yet. Besides, she is a (young) working woman who has had to mature faster than her peers and who takes pride in her position for better or worse. Adding on: I think she just wants to do a good job on her way out, especially since its her family's name on the line. She's not completely divorced from those pressures.

We also might disagree but I don't think she's putting anything above Yuzu's feelings. I think she's simply being realistic here. She has work to do, pressure on her shoulders, and this guy is irrelevant to her. She's talked briefly with Yuzu on a few occasions now, but can't simply stop this task because of Yuzu's insecurities. It's not as though Mei has done anything weird with this guy to warrant Yuzu's worry. I agree Mei could be a bit more attentive, though; still, she's also got a lot weighing her down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread