Concerning the US Protests and Our Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
jGt3w4Z.png

Contributor
@Plykiya At that point just remove the chapter altogether. Even if they're being an asshole they did the work, and Mangadex shouldn't get to piggyback on their effort.

Dex-chan lover
@AnimeRequired
Swear someone got a comment bannu/tineout for posting race and crime statistics but I could be wrong, don't feel like going through the whole thread again.

Dex-chan lover
Why hasn't the credit page for Chapter 31 of Uchi no Musume been deleted for violating Rule 3.2.7?

@Traze you know what you're doing, stop bullshitting around "I'm just posting statistics" you might as well of said 13 50 with that covet racist useless post.
" might ultimately be internal after all other methods have frequently failed to bring improvement" This is so demonstrably not true that I really wonder what your motives are, school's in predominately black areas have been underfunded for more than 100 years and still are underfunded, literally one of the most important factors for how your life will play out has been fucked and still is fucked since you were slaves.
There is also a lack of courses in areas where it is predominately Black and Hispanic for STEM the highest paying jobs as well as Advancement Placement (AP) courses. This is a major factor in why Blacks and Hispanics are still heavily underrepresented in the STEM workforce relative to their shares in the U.S. workforce as a whole.
And that is also not talking about how many economic crashes, red lining practices have wiped black wealth in america when everyone else recovered or the disproportionate incarceration for weed even though they are used at same rates for other ethnicity's ( which also diminishes how many black people can have eligibility for public housing and student financial aid, employment opportunities).

Dex-chan lover
How tf did I miss this thread...
But after reading the first 10 pages I'm pretty sure I don't want to get too much into it.
It was bound to end up like this anyway. But from what I've read I just want to say that a thread is pretty discreet. It's not a bunch of ads covering the website. So imo people who are saying "don't bring this stuff here" are exaggerating. Again it's pretty easy to evade.

There has been some interesting arguments pointed out. For example that the enemies of black people are some black people. I mean I hate to blame EVERYTHING on racism. If I do, I'm not going anywhere instead of making myself better. However, unfair treatment is still going on for the minorities.
Also that other minorities don't get much "publicity" compared to black people. True. But even with that much publicity there are still problems like that remaining. The "it's a setup" thing doesn't apply to everything that has happened before. In the US or anywhere else. And it is true that all forms of media condition people into making a jugement on other countries and ethnic groups. Which makes me feel like I should travel more.

I just hope that people are considerate of what is going on or what has been going on for a while. Not wanting to be a part of it is fair but judging people who do is dumb and inconsiderate. Adding the fact that it doesn't change your life in any way.

That is all. Good day.

Okay, here's Ol' Pervy's intelligently and carefully considered, well thought out political statement:

The World is heavily over-populated as it is, due in part to how good sex makes us feel, but also in large part due to man's high intelligence which has allowed us to pretty much eliminate all of our former predators in nature that would otherwise help keep our numbers down, along with creating scientific medical advances that not only save a lot of lives that otherwise would have died but continue to defeat the last weapon that Mother Nature has to try to control our numbers... disease organisms.

So... It should be obvious that the ONLY thing left to try to control our excess numbers is ourselves. Therefore, we should encourage wars, racist views, politically divisive tactics, and any other madly insane practice that will help eliminate a good percentage of the human race.

And with that said, please excuse me while I put on my tinfoil hat and retreat to my underground bunker to twiddle my thumbs and ride out the chaos that I am selfishly proposing for the rest of the world.

Oh, by the way, when you guys do destroy the world with all of this chaos, please leave the internet intact so that I can still enjoy the latest tentacle monster hentai manga and anime that gives me my best reason to go on living in this mad and cruel world.

Have a nice day...

@el-kaicho don't use your american standards to judge the whole world, that's a typical american mistake. Our european countries spend billions of dollars each year to give a home to fugitives, especially from the middle east and africa. The amount of racism and police violence you face in the US is simply not there in our countries. Cops that kill people for no real reasons would face harsh punishments here. We live in a different world. It's good that you finally fight to change your country into something that doesn't feel like a relict from 200 years ago. But it is not our fault or our fight, especially not on a platform that has nothing to do with it. Fight on your Facebook, Twitter and co. Go to your american sites that have something to do with this matter. Not to a website made for enjoying in your spare time. We don't need to be exposed to problems 24/7. If you are you will go crazy with time.

Dex-chan lover
@a-rabid-velociraptor Please note that I wasn't advocating what I described. I was pointing out that things are so bad that doing it would represent something better than the status quo. As to Minneapolis, whether what they're planning is practical or not, what they're planning isn't abolishing the police as an institution, it is getting rid of the current force and getting a new one, perhaps one organized differently. Those are two quite different things, whether either of them would work or not.

Personally, I think that the solutions to the police problem are only to a minor extent to be found in the police themselves. More inequality and poverty lead both to more crime and to more violent policing. More and stronger laws against victimless crimes, lead both to more crime and to more violent policing. These things also lead to the police gaining more political and social power. So for instance, if you instituted a Denmark-level social safety net, funded education in a way that didn't inherently skew it so poor kids get worse educations (education is currently funded by property tax. Now, who owns property that's worth a lot, and who owns property that's not worth much? There's no way to get a level playing field out of that), had free medical care, cheap or free university, and did things like make and enforce laws against "redlining" so blacks paid the same interest rates as other people, that would reduce crime a lot--not to mention poverty. If the government acted as an "employer of last resort" giving decent, useful jobs to anyone who wanted one--there's plenty that needs doing that isn't being done--that could nigh to eliminate poverty, and force the private sector to offer decent wages to compete. And if you also repealed all the "war on drugs" laws and took some of the money saved and put it into rehab, that would reduce "crime" a lot too. And then you just wouldn't need a lot of cops or feel the need to have them be violent. The cops in the US would just naturally become more like the cops in normal countries.

(On redlining, did you know blacks pay higher interest rates than whites? People ran an experiment where they did loan or mortgage applications. They'd submit the exact same application, same job and financial information, but some of the applications had white-sounding names and some had black-sounding names. The applications with black-sounding names got systematically offered a couple percent higher interest. Probably not because individual loan processing employees disliked blacks, but because banks figure they can get away with gouging blacks easier. Over the life of a mortgage, the increased payments are huge. Just one more reason blacks are still poorer than whites)

Dex-chan lover
@hokito
AP courses? Seriously? Now you're really grasping at straws. There's no way you can tell me that it's the be-all end-all to have 30 minutes a day of self-study from a textbook, then a standardized test, and if you pass getting a university credit for a course of whose material you're left with a worse understanding than if you had just taken the course at university in the first place.
AP is a complete waste of time, and there's a reason there were less than a dozen people enrolled in it at my high school, and there's a reason I stopped bothering with it after two weeks. You're better off spending that study time studying for normal courses. At least then you're not wasting money buying the textbook.

The lack of AP doesn't prevent any opportunities. Anyone willing to do the work involved for those would be willing to study normally without them.

Dex-chan lover
@hokito
What anecdote? The textbook is standardized and the rewards are standardized. That's why universities are willing to offer credits for it despite the AP course being done at any number of different high schools. The only thing that varies is exactly which course the universities consider it equivalent to, but that's on the university's end, irrespective of what high school you went to.

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane I've read a fair amount about the "skills" explanation for unemployment and poverty, as well as a fair amount of stuff strongly disagreeing with it. In my opinion, it does not hold water. Consider that the current young generation are the most educated there has ever been--it's not even close. Also consider that the current younger generation are about the most underemployed there has ever been. They all accepted the "get the skills and the jobs will come" deal and it evaporated. Taxi drivers with doctorates used to be an immigrant thing, now it's baristas and Amazon warehouse workers with doctorates except they're not immigrants, they're young people who if current trends continue will never be able to buy a home. Another thing that is rampant is credentialism--jobs that don't really require a particular qualification, but they ask anyway because there are so many people with those qualifications that they can. What we are not seeing is a lot of available jobs going unfilled because there are no qualified applicants, which is what we ought to see if the bad-skills explanation was true.

I've seen it evolve in real time. I work in a university. When I started, a degree in library science meant if you got a library job you had full time employment at a decent wage plus good benefits, with very strong prospects of that wage going up over time to a decidedly upper-middle-class wage. Now, we got all these kids with library science degrees and often a couple of other degrees and certificates as well. They get six month contracts which they hope will recur, often part time, with diddly benefits. Poor buggers are constantly shuffling around from one position to another, hoping and praying to eventually land one of the full time ones. Most of 'em are taking more courses at night at the same time, hoping one more bit of alphabet that doesn't actually make them any better at their jobs will give them an edge. At this point you're better off without qualifications because then you're in the union and it's way harder to fuck you over. Although at that, nearly all the union library clerks also have degrees--they get part time jobs shelving books while they're students, it gets them an "in", they finish their degree, find there's no decent jobs in their field and grab for a stable library job so they don't end up serving those coffees. The same kind of thing is true for the faculty--there are hardly any tenure-track full time faculty positions any more, it's all disposable "sessionals" who are hired to teach a course or two for a semester and then gone, hoping to land another gig, often working at two or three universities and colleges at once. But the university itself, what it does and how and the nature of work, hasn't really changed much in that time, and it's been a public institution all along, so it's not that the fundamental economic nature of the place is different. Political and social changes are what has changed the work conditions.

Bill Gates makes a very interesting example of the kind of economic issue economists tend to ignore. Bill Gates in specific is incredibly rich because he's a shark; reading about his early career is quite interesting. But somebody like Bill Gates, and various other people like Bill Gates, becoming very rich is based on the workings of modern copyright and other "intellectual property" law. Without those things Bill Gates would have no money and everyone would be using software that was in effect open source although it wouldn't have that name. That would almost certainly be better for general prosperity than the current state of affairs. So Gates is a stark example of the way economics is not some pristine thing with an inherent nature that can be studied in isolation--it is intertwined with politics, law, and the (changing) nature of society right down to the roots. It would be a far better field of study if they still called it "Political Economy".

One important thing to remember about unemployment is that in the 80s and 90s it was deliberately created. Governments moved away from policies designed to create full or nearly full employment towards enforcing a certain level of unemployment. This was ostensibly based on an economic hypothesis, the "NAIRU" or "Non-Accelerating-Inflation Rate of Unemployment"--the idea that if unemployment got too low, inflation would not merely increase, but begin to constantly accelerate. But the real point was that when there is full employment, employers need to compete more for employees than the other way around, and so workers have the bargaining power to gain increased wages, which may lead to some inflation but more importantly will tend to reduce profits. So during those decades, whenever employment got too close to full central banks would jack up interest rates, triggering a recession and more unemployment, until there was no threat of the economy becoming overheated wages increasing. More recently, that hasn't been an issue in the first world because jobs have been systematically moved to the third world and wage discipline maintained by threatening to do it more if anyone asks for a raise. Also, wage increases have been avoided by making employment very contingent--the "gig economy"--and systematically breaking unions and passing laws to make unions hard to start or maintain.
But again, getting down to the "political economy" level, one question that never seems to be asked is why a "job" has to be defined the way we do. We're not dealing with a situation of fundamental scarcity right now. With current technology we can fairly easily produce more than anyone needs to buy, particularly since a lot of our "goods" now are digital and can be infinitely copied for barely more than free (manga online, for instance). But with our current economic paradigms, if we could make everything we need with 20 hours of work per week from each person available to work, that would mean a 50% unemployment rate, or maybe 30% plus a lot of people trying to scrape by with inadequate part-time. I'm constantly seeing articles saying that the advance of automation is going to ravage the employment world because everyone will lose their jobs. But inherently, more production for less labour is a good thing--it's only bad because of how we structure work. It would take a social and political shift to redefine a "job" as 20 hours of work, or whatever an even share worked out to, so everyone could make a living and also have a good deal of leisure.

anon763
Go to the manga page and report it. Can you link to the manga? I don't see chapter 31.
Edit: I figured it was that one but it doesn't seem to be breaking the rules.

18 moderated comments in this thread.
Page 2 - Tlos
Page 4 - Kanami-chan
Page 6 - VIII, VIII
Page 8 - Insignificant, Insignificant, Rapeman, hazzack
Page 9 - hazzack
Page 10 - JanaIka, bugmenot3
Page 11 - VIII, sterven, 77BLc9JwJGpLVARkamJx
Page 12 - gangstercat
Page 14 - iamlazy, JanaIka
Page 16 - Captaininvictus

Imagine complaining about people simply saying black lives matter.

I wish it was surprising.

Weebs and racism, name a more iconic duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread