Dorei kara no Kitai to Hyouka no sei de Sakushu dekinai no daga - Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
You have either never actually read Death March or you only skimmed the pages and made an assumption of the narrative just by looking at the pictures without reading the texts.
Now, I'm dubious about the validity of your 1st and 3rd points.
I watched 1 cour of the anime, getting further into the story than I did with the WN I dropped years earlier. So it seems like I should know what his slave harem is like, since he basically buys them around episode 2 and spends another ~10 episodes with them.

If you're nitpicking the fact the MC of Death March does not technically feel "shy" then lol. Reluctant, self-conscious, stoic, only wants to fuck people he loves... the exact reason is immaterial. The point is that he's surrounded by beautiful slaves and doesn't sexually indulge himself with all of them for whatever reason.

Above all, I didn't make 3 "points"... I just listed 3 ways of classifying slave harems that I casually came up with.

I don't usually respond to the post of someone who just says "you don't know what you're talking about" with a holier-than-thou attitude, but I noticed you actually got an upvote from someone, so for what it's worth, here's my response. (y)

Fed-Kun's army
I didn't check the number of chapters before reading. Now I'm full of regrets. It's not even that common for scanlations to get chapters after the first.

Dex-chan lover
This should never have been made and everyone involved in its creation should have been arrested and jailed.

Dex-chan lover
Wow. Isekai writers are so exceptional at concealing the protagonist's moral indignation toward slavery that we can almost be misled to believe that an ordinary Japanese male, who's naturally repulsed by the idea of owning another human being, would actually seek to exploit a pair of enslaved girls for his own sexual gratification! That the MC could demonstrate such self-restraint while in the presence of someone as despicable as a slave trader, even after witnessing the deplorable condition in which children were imprisoned, is surely a testament to his innermost conviction to not simply put one slave trader out of business, but to do away with the slave trade entirely! Bravo!
Japan culture is different so probably they buy slaves from Central Asia. Maybe they get shipped by tankers too. Oil tankers do not deliver only oil. They deliver weapons and slaves too.

Dex-chan lover
I'm all for a harem of cute girls, but I have a feeling this MC will frustrate me.

Dex-chan lover
Idk if it's just me but I hate it when a guy dies and then the goddess that reinacarnates him makes fun of his death.
Hated it when Konosuba did it, hate it now.

Dex-chan lover
2. "Reluctant" slave harem like Death March, where the MC just ends up buying a few slaves at one point and they easily fall in love with him and/or treat him like their papa, but he's too shy to do much with them.
in case of Death March, there's a reason and there's only 5 slaves that he really didn't mean to have.

He only thinks of his party of having daughters/little sisters barring Arisa whom he knows is a massive shotacon since her past life. He's just taking in her shenanigans with Mia with stride.

Liza/Arisa/Lulu/Tama/Pochi stopped being slaves at a later point and just want to travel with their big bro/dad for the experience.

MC's real and legal waifu is a trillion years old High Elf. None of the "harem" members stood a chance against her

Dex-chan lover
@xSauriaNx In that case, my memory of Death March was correct.

I even said "fall in love with him and/or treat him like their papa" so I still don't see why choice of Death March as an example bothered people...

I guess it would've saved time if someone in this thread had just said to me "but the girls aren't romantically interested in him and don't do anything with him in your example, Death March" and then I could've just replied "yeah, these 3 types of slavem harem I listed are based on the level of the initial dynamic/tension between the MC and the slaves, not connected to how far he ends up going with them by the end of the story, or whether he ends up freeing them later or not"?

It's obvious that not everyone will look at or try to classify slave harems in the same way. In my view, the concept of a slave harem is an isekai world where slavery is legal, the MC can buy or otherwise come to possess bishoujo who are slaves, and that becomes a convenient plot device for him to be deeply connected to them and receive their loyalty, gratitude, or love.

Often the MC will apparently not "mean to have" slaves like you said, and they will be forced on him in some way. Like The Great Cleric, where
a local politicans threatens people to not let the MC hire laborers, so he's "forced" to buy slaves for the job instead, and makes a lot of excuses about why he doesn't want to be treated like a master. And yet they appreciate his miraculous healing so much (same exact situation as this manga) and his noble attitude, that they "refuse" to let him free them, for several volumes. Two of the slaves he buys in a later round of purchases (and immediately frees) are his destined romantic partners. Others maybe once or twice expressed romantic interest in him.
It's this whole dynamic that to me encompasses the "slave harem" plot device.

To recap, I outlined three broadly defined categories: a full-fledged slave harem where the author unapologetically lets the MC fuck them, a faux slave harem which lacks most of these tropes I just described, and the kind of slave harem that's in between those two types. Obviously, I could have tried to add more fine/narrow categories by splitting up the latter "in between" one that I listed Death March as an example of, but I didn't really care to, and didn't see the point. I'll let you guys do that if you want (but frankly, it's already clear that nobody else cares to).

Dex-chan lover

aye... we do get ya. It just felt kind of unfair for Death March since that series uses the slave harem trope (which it doesn't really use) in disguising it's real identity.

an isekai diary of how stuff just works :kek:

Aggregator gang
If you're nitpicking the fact the MC of Death March does not technically feel "shy" then lol. Reluctant, self-conscious, stoic, only wants to fuck people he loves... the exact reason is immaterial. The point is that he's surrounded by beautiful slaves and doesn't sexually indulge himself with all of them for whatever reason.
Lmao. You just keep digging yourself deeper into the hole. You have outed yourself as a liar with this paragraph. If you have actually read or watched Death March, you will know full well why MC didn't fk any of them.

Above all, I didn't make 3 "points"... I just listed 3 ways of classifying slave harems that I casually came up with.
To-may-to, to-mah-to.
You're honestly just grasping at straws at this point.

Dex-chan lover
Lmao. You just keep digging yourself deeper into the hole. You have outed yourself as a liar with this paragraph. If you have actually read or watched Death March, you will know full well why MC didn't fk any of them.
Death March was a 1-cour anime that I watched as it aired in 2016. It's nonsensical for anyone to lie about whether they watched it.

I didn't try to lawyer-proof my internet comment by replacing "shy" with "shy and/or any other attitude which serves the same purpose in discouraging him from acting" because I was just sharing my thoughts casually, and it should've been obvious I was characterizing a broad category. It's as simple as that.

But you mocked me for it, so I clarified it, and your reaction is... to just say "you're a liar and I can't trust anything you say" huh. Could it be you want me to tell you that you've won some formal debate I didn't know we were having...? Then, congratulations, you've won. All you needed to do was wait until someone on the internet imprecisely phrased something, accused them of being willfully ignorant, and then doubled down on the fact they "lied".

Dex-chan lover
With that cheat skill, I could become the best doctor in the whole isekai. And of course I would have lots of money from rich patients, while doing charity works to keep up my image in society. Dyufufufu.

Users who are viewing this thread