Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 10 Ch. 68 - Thistle

For those wondering whether the lion is evil or nay. He mentions to Laius how he grew to care for the dungeon's inhabitants over time, so it could be that he started off evil but changed over time and is... less evil now at least. Maybe he's in a moral dilemma, that'd be cool.

Dex-chan lover
The Winged Lion is just trying to consume as many desires as he can at this point. Thistle is almost empty, as we've seen with Thistle struggling to recall WHY he started down this road.
So far we've got Laius, who wants to create a world of harmony with Monsters and the Outside world. (That's not foreboding at all!)
And Marcille who wants to eliminate the age barrier between races. (Also super straight forwards and can't be confused in any way. Nope.)

We're so fucked lmao.
Waiting for the Winged Lion to twist all their wishes.

Fed-Kun's army
An entity granting you any wish huh...
I watched enough Magica Madoka to know where it leads 🙃

Thistle mentioned Senshi as a possible candidate.

If Senshi's wish is to eat monsters, perhaps they'll end up eating the Winged Lion...

Double-page supporter
That lion is evil; look at its size in the flashback. He's the reason why Thistle has gone mad.

Dex-chan lover
@daywithoutgames
thanks a bunch!
although i can’t seem to make the web archive work, rip.

and yes, i wouldn’t mind
eating thistle at all, if you know what i mean wink wink

Dex-chan lover
Since there seems to be some confusion let me state it clearly. Thistle is a dude.
What you do with that information is up to you.

A recurring theme of this work is that some things don't have a good or a bad, just a "nature".
Carnivores kill not because they are evil, but because it is the only way they can survive.

I don't think the Winged Lion is good or evil. It just has a very convoluted form of extracting nourishment.

Double-page supporter
Oh hey, first actual confirmation Marcille's a half-elf (I think)

Dex-chan lover
"Thistle, fix all of our problems."
"No Thistle, not THAT way."
I can't help but feel bad for Thistle. Going by his stature, he's still an adolescent when Derghal pushes the burden of keeping a kingdom afloat onto him. Knowing how they "grew up" together, I don't think Derghal was intentionally being a manipulative jerk and taking advantage of some kid's eagerness to please, but rather, he mentally matured a lot quicker than his friend and failed to realize it.

Also, it was interesting to see Thistle casually refer to Marcille as a half-elf. I wonder if it's that obvious to other in-universe characters.

God, I love this manga. Apart from the story, the details and the drawings - and even those alone are worth the reason to adore it - it's the complexity of each character that excites me... there are actually no good or bad characters. Just people who try in every way to achieve their goals, which however questionable they may be for those directly concerned are important and certainly worth trying.

The fact that these methods are often and willingly detrimental to everyone else does not automatically make them evil, at least not if seen from a superior point of view to that of "he harms me, therefore he is evil". Even the winged lion, despite being a demon, is not portrayed as an insipid creature at the "look at me how cool I am while I do my evil pose and laugh out loud doing totally illogical actions just to show how evil I am"; he was born a demon and therefore he doesn't have many choices how to behave, just as a fish can't decide to stop swimming to learn how to climb trees. Probably anyone who had the only chance to survive by deceiving others and exploiting them would do so.

Aggregator gang
While it's doubtful that the lion has come around to not eating desires like some sort of demon vegan it *is* interesting if has learned from Thistle that it's important to be on good terms with the person whose desires it is going to grant. I have no speculations though really, I know the author will come up with something I never thought of.

When a book makes eye contact with you, that's a sign that you should stop.
The lion is definitely evil. That look it gave Marcille in 65 doesn't lie. It sounds nice here? Well yeah, it's a demon, that's what demon's do.

Aggregator gang
@Betony She look different from other elves. Like a human with thicc elf years while the other elves all have a very distinct face and slender elf ears.

@bosbarret there is always rule63...

@Zakuzelo That is racist!
EXyE9qbVAAYbhAe.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Judging by their solution to things so far, I'm betting that they're gonna eat the winged lion which somehow releases all the desires its eaten and make things all better

Users who are viewing this thread