Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 14 Ch. 97.7 - Extra - The Daltian Clan Series : Book Source vs Live Adaptation

Dex-chan lover
So, when discussing a chapter, you can’t comment on other people’s opinions about the chapter? Then what are you doing now?
posting off topic to some1 whos shitflinging in my notifications. by all means a reportable offence. much liek u.

Dex-chan lover
People, you can ignore users you find annoying instead of replying, you know. Point your mouse cursor to the user profile, wait a sec, then click "Ignore".
This is useless because the forum mechanisms only minimize them instead of hiding them completely. And that won't stop weirdos from throwing negative reactions at anyone who dares (oh my!) to speak negatively about their favorite ship.

Dex-chan lover
posting off topic to some1 whos shitflinging in my notifications. by all means a reportable offence. much liek u.
This thread started with you when you accused a dude of trying to ban discussion of the chapter after he called shippers annoying

Dex-chan lover
This is useless because the forum mechanisms only minimize them instead of hiding them completely. And that won't stop weirdos from throwing negative reactions at anyone who dares (oh my!) to speak negatively about their favorite ship.
its perfectly sufficient. watch. i'll show you.

Dex-chan lover
I don′t have much context for why all of the shipping hate may be since I binged through the series just as it was ending, but reading their relationship as romantic or strongly platonic are both perfectly valid. The present chapter works equally well if they are simply friends, or have budding feelings of something more. As I personally like the ship, I interpret them as having the beginnings of feelings for eachother here, but not consciously recognizing them. Maybe there are romantic feelings intended, maybe not, but even if there was unambiguous denial of anything romantic between them, there′s no rule that says headcanon cannot directly contradict what was written.
As for those who say it is practically confirmed gay, while I don′t agree it is an understandable stance to have. There′s a long enough history of subtext being used to incorperate homosexuality among other things that would otherise not fly that it′s little wonder many people have learned to pick up on the subtle cues. Of course, such conventions could be used unintentionally by those who don′t know about them and by design a lot can be read into something seemingly inconsiquential. Still, unless someone is looking for a fight, you could at least drop the subject rather than fight over canon and interpritation.
On a mostly unrelated note, I would like to know where Kaberu × Laios came from as I haven’t been able to figure it out myself.
All this is refuted by simple Russell Teapot and Okama's Razor. Anything beyond the plot canonically establishing them as best friends is speculation, interpretation, etc., especially when it requires additional conditions and explanations. But look, everyone is entitled to their headcanons, it's none of my business. There's nothing wrong with ships as long as people realize it's a ship. Most shipping wars occur precisely because people do not know when to stop and begin to cross each other’s personal boundaries. I myself was also guilty of this, I admit.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
On a mostly unrelated note, I would like to know where Kaberu × Laios came from as I haven’t been able to figure it out myself.
Their interactions have good chemistry and tension. Kabru is effectively obsessed with Laios for a good chunk of the manga while the latter doesn't care about him, which is an amusing dichotomy.

What most masculine fandom doesn't seem to understand is that shipping has little to do with canon. It's mostly about whether the characters have chemistry or the fans believe they would. A ship with lots of text or subtext that can be interpreted as romantic, like Farcille, will typically be very popular, but shipping doesn't need any at all. Arguments about what's canon or not are missing the forest for the trees.

As an example, SuperOniichan and semon_demon would make a great ship. They have tons of canon interaction and absolutely loathe one another, which is fuel for a great enemies to lovers. Get a room, you two.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
quote-those-who-cannot-conceive-of-friendship-as-a-substantive-love-but-only-as-a-disguise-c-s-lewis-47-98-65.jpg

I think this was written in completely different cultural context and not like response to someone's Prince Caspian/Peter Pevensie slashfic

Dex-chan lover
Their interactions have good chemistry and tension. Kabru is effectively obsessed with Laios for a good chunk of the manga while the latter doesn't care about him, which is an amusing dichotomy.

What most masculine fandom doesn't seem to understand is that shipping has little to do with canon. It's mostly about whether the characters have chemistry or the fans believe they would. A ship with lots of text or subtext that can be interpreted as romantic, like Farcille, will typically be the very popular, but shipping doesn't need any at all. Arguments about what's canon or not are missing the forest for the trees.

As an example, SuperOniichan and semon_demon would make a great ship. They have tons of canon interaction and absolutely loathe one another, which is fuel for a great enemies to lovers. Get a room, you two.
Ahaha, you understand how it works. Only forgots to add that our interaction is definitely "full of subtext and hints, implying that we have feelings for each other." Everything you need for a perfect shipping comment, lol.

But seriously, in the context of anime and manga, people also forget that the Japanese are not nearly as obsessed with "canon" as Western shippers are. Many works deliberately write characters as canon "very close friends", leaving room for interpretation and reading as additional fanservice for shippers. Especially in works that largely ignore romance. This alone in many ways makes the shipping wars completely meaningless. I don’t know if the author of the DM had such intentions at all, however.

I think this was written in completely different cultural context and not like response to someone's Prince Caspian/Peter Pevensie slashfic
This quote comes from one of his works where he argues that platonic relationships can be based on love and that not all love is necessarily romantic. It's more about the concept of love in general rather than "haaah, shippers don't have lives." But ironically, this has really become relevant in our modern culture.

Dex-chan lover
I honest just want to see more of Falin. Kinda sad we didn't get more of her in the main story since she had to play the role of the princess that needs to be rescued.

What most masculine fandom doesn't seem to understand is that shipping has little to do with canon. It's mostly about whether the characters have chemistry or the fans believe they would. A ship with lots of text or subtext that can be interpreted as romantic, like Farcille, will typically be very popular, but shipping doesn't need any at all. Arguments about what's canon or not are missing the forest for the trees.

Thanks for the good faith response. I have actually crackshipped where there is no canon interaction before. There′s great fun to treating shipping as pure theory crafting rather than directly building off of established facts. It′s the dynamic that matters, and now that you point it out, I can definately see that. I probably could have solved my confuson by reading some fics on ao3, but was too befuddled to think.
As for SuperOniichan × semon_demon, I try to avoid RPF for concerns of how ethical it is, but serious canon purist × flippent shipper is a dynamic I′d love to read. And like, applying it to the budding relationship they (the theoreticals, as I said no RPF) are actually in where the canon purist trys to rationalize everything away, but subconsciously wants some of the freedom that distance from undeniable facts would bring. The shipper appealing to emotions and nebulous feelings of possibility, but appreciating a solid foundation of axiometric facts. Or alternatively sticking closer to the insperation and have them constantly butting heads in fandoms, inexplicably always finding eachother obsessing whatever new media one might start. And then over time, they start thinking of what the other would say about something, first with ridicule, but then growing curiosity. Of course this is then justified as a way to get under the other′s skin more, preemptively making fun of things yet to be stated. Needless to say, that oly brings them closer together. Weather this remains an ever escelating battle of words and ~tension~ or everything comes out and resolves into domestic fluff is left as an exersize to whoever else has forgotten that this is the comment section of a chapter about two yound women hanging out and getting closer to each other in was scholars are still debating.
That got somewhat sidetracked. Anyways, as for teapots, it′s more like we know for sure that something is orbiting around canon in this spot, but some people think it′s a teapot while others say it′s a coffee pot. It′s still up to interpretaton, but is not contradictory to canon (like a plastic cup that would melt from having hot water poured in) or even that much of a wild speculation (like a saucepan which is unconventional for the job). This is probably why there is so much consternation actually. While something more wild is easily understood to not be intended to be seen as canon, something that is slightly unconventinal but fits perfectly within reasonable interpretation of canon is messier. Canon is seen as a source of authority, making something more valid. Naturally those who believe in this idea (which I will admit to believing myself) will do their utmost to shore up their opinion on its canonicity, but the nebulous nature leaves it ever unresolved.
Before I go, one more thought. If people are going to continue bickering, at least try to make it entertaining enough to read back through.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the good faith response. I have actually crackshipped where there is no canon interaction before. There′s great fun to treating shipping as pure theory crafting rather than directly building off of established facts. It′s the dynamic that matters, and now that you point it out, I can definately see that. I probably could have solved my confuson by reading some fics on ao3, but was too befuddled to think.
As for SuperOniichan × semon_demon, I try to avoid RPF for concerns of how ethical it is, but serious canon purist × flippent shipper is a dynamic I′d love to read. And like, applying it to the budding relationship they (the theoreticals, as I said no RPF) are actually in where the canon purist trys to rationalize everything away, but subconsciously wants some of the freedom that distance from undeniable facts would bring. The shipper appealing to emotions and nebulous feelings of possibility, but appreciating a solid foundation of axiometric facts. Or alternatively sticking closer to the insperation and have them constantly butting heads in fandoms, inexplicably always finding eachother obsessing whatever new media one might start. And then over time, they start thinking of what the other would say about something, first with ridicule, but then growing curiosity. Of course this is then justified as a way to get under the other′s skin more, preemptively making fun of things yet to be stated. Needless to say, that oly brings them closer together. Weather this remains an ever escelating battle of words and ~tension~ or everything comes out and resolves into domestic fluff is left as an exersize to whoever else has forgotten that this is the comment section of a chapter about two yound women hanging out and getting closer to each other in was scholars are still debating.
That got somewhat sidetracked. Anyways, as for teapots, it′s more like we know for sure that something is orbiting around canon in this spot, but some people think it′s a teapot while others say it′s a coffee pot. It′s still up to interpretaton, but is not contradictory to canon (like a plastic cup that would melt from having hot water poured in) or even that much of a wild speculation (like a saucepan which is unconventional for the job). This is probably why there is so much consternation actually. While something more wild is easily understood to not be intended to be seen as canon, something that is slightly unconventinal but fits perfectly within reasonable interpretation of canon is messier. Canon is seen as a source of authority, making something more valid. Naturally those who believe in this idea (which I will admit to believing myself) will do their utmost to shore up their opinion on its canonicity, but the nebulous nature leaves it ever unresolved.
Before I go, one more thought. If people are going to continue bickering, at least try to make it entertaining enough to read back through.
The key question is the ability to distinguish interpretations from the canon. There is nothing wrong if you interpret things knowing that it is an interpretation. But many people simply do not see the boundaries, which only gets worse if they deliberately seek what they need instead of maintaining the conditional purity of the experiment. Which is unfortunately extremely common these days with shipping googles and the belief in “subtext” and “implied” as magic words that will justify any speculation. But this is not so much to blame for shipping as it is for the general modern tendency of people to see what they want to see. This is why there is so much conflict on Twitter due to people accusing each other of opinions that were never expressed but they would really like to hear. This is why I think that the ability to separate objective and subjective things is more important than ever in evaluating work.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i top btw. no other interpretation makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread