Dungeon no Osananajimi - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - My Childhood Friend's Happiness Is Our Happiness

Dex-chan lover
I hate the word "stanning". And curious if that is really the correct translation since that word is very korean in origin.
Anyone good at jp who can pop by and check what they actually said, to reassure me that was really what they said? Or tell me what they were saying instead?

What slang?
"Stan" comes from an Eminem song lol. The fuck you mean it has Korean origins? It's also not as niche as you may think. There are millions of US K-pop/idol fans, many of which self-identify as "stans". You could probably go on Twitter and find the term used at least once within an hour of mindlessly scrolling around.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I wan to make an oshi no ko reference, but the anime is still new(Though the manga isn't).

Would it be too soon to say that 'no crazy fan is gonna murder this idol!" ???
So by mentioning what you were refrencing, then making the refrence
you basically spoiled the show. You fucker.

Dex-chan lover
I still don't get why people continue to use that word to describe themselves.
It's a portmanteau of the words Stalker and Fan.

At that point, they are openly admitting to stalking someone.
Thank you for actually providing an explanation of that word and its use instead of pointless saying,"look up ChatGPT", or whatever which told me absolutely nothing. Your straight answer is very much appreciated.

This is false. South Korea and other parts of East Asia also have this same idol mentality. In fact, I'd argue the idol industry there is possibly worse than it is in Japan where facial reconstruction, plastic surgeries, and extreme diets/malnourishment are a norm. The SK idol industry also has a very large US following of netizens, so I'd say it's normalized and tolerated, if not encouraged in the west as well. Stan culture is everywhere and the entertainment industry can be gruesome regardless of the country, not to say Japan in particular doesn't have its fair share of issues, but the ones you listed here are not something unique to it.
Well, sorry but you're missing the point.
The initial subject was Japan vs the West. We are well aware that most Asian countries are concerned by the subject. Didn't want to have fun dissecting specificities of each country. So you're basically right, but that doesn't contradict my argument in this context.

For the last part, I persist and sign, but the Japanese mentality (or of Asia in general, if you insist) has nothing to do with that of the West. It's cultural. Private life, public image, and responsibilities in front of the fans can't be compared. Either you're in denial, or too deep into an echo chamber but that i can assure you.
I mean.. we're on a manga reading site... and mangas are particularly notorious for being pretty vocal about the toxicity of these situations. You have litterally proof of that under any title of this website.

While as an european, I can't even remember the last time a drama involving fans and stars took place in my country. I mean, nobody cares besides teenage girls anyway, you'll not find creepy 25yo guys following actresses in the street like it's a normal behaviour. Yes, it sometimes "happens", but come on, we're talking about nuance here.

Again, I'm not saying that the West (and "West" is already pretty vague to be fair) is perfect and Japan is crazy. But idolatry is not handled in the same way. And one is more toxic than the other...

Dex-chan lover
"Stan" comes from an Eminem song lol. The fuck you mean it has Korean origins? It's also not as niche as you may think. There are millions of US K-pop/idol fans, many of which self-identify as "stans". You could probably go on Twitter and find the term used at least once within an hour of mindlessly scrolling around.
I did mention eminem.
And I meant that it seem to originate from there as I only saw ppl with ties to the k-pop ("korean pop") fanbase use it (mainly translators of manwha who explained that link of theirs when ppl asked what the word meant), and only recently at that (around 2020 or slightly before that; unlike eminems song which ppl are assuming invented the word just so he could force a rhyme with "fan", and then noone ever used, back in 2000). But yes, like I said, I have seen it start being used more and more widespreadly in the last year or so.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for actually providing an explanation of that word and its use instead of pointless saying,"look up ChatGPT", or whatever which told me absolutely nothing. Your straight answer is very much appreciated.
No problem, as it was stated earlier than this comment, it was first used in that context by Eminem(even if it was a forced rhyme), and then the kpop fans got a hold of it.

And just like everything they get their hands on, they forget the actual point of it.
Take that Dislyte thing you occasionally get commercials for, that's the Kpop fans getting a hold of the SMT idea.

No, I very well understood the point of your original comment. That's not what my previous post was in response to and I made that clear in the quote itself. I was only responding to the last statement you made.
Err, in that case maybe my broken english/layout is at cause here, my bad, but no matter the language if you pick random sentences out of their paragraph, and without any context you'll always find something to argue against. You.. can't do that lol :wtf:

Dex-chan lover
7vjQbq6.png

Dex-chan lover
Reading the comment section is such a bless and curse at the same time

Dex-chan lover
I hate the word "stanning". And curious if that is really the correct translation since that word is very korean in origin.
Anyone good at jp who can pop by and check what they actually said, to reassure me that was really what they said? Or tell me what they were saying instead?

What slang?
Nah, it is very niche and I have only found it in the plains surrounding the weeb cultural plains.
As far as I know it is very korean in nature too, and you mostly (though it's becomign less and less true) only see it in translated manwhas and not mangas.
Also afaik, iirc it originates from the k-pop fanbase (hence why it is (to me) usually found around korean subcultures)? Also some relation to eminem?
you know you're getting old when you start seeing people not knowing facts from 20+ years ago and start seething. i hate myself for being one of those guys but oh well

yeah no. Stan gained popularity back in a song released in the year 2000 by Eminem.

in fact the word is even older, the song just popularized it. Clearly it was phased out at some point if people don't even know the song anymore. yikes

Dex-chan lover
Err, in that case maybe my broken english/layout is at cause here, my bad, but no matter the language if you pick random sentences out of their paragraph, and without any context you'll always find something to argue against. You.. can't do that lol :wtf:
?? you see (in case you didn't know) when you press reply it copies ALL the comment that person made. so residentFATBOY made an effort to erase the statements to make a topic that he targets. So no its not because of your broken english, but rather lack of common sense in regards to forums. and YES you can 100 percent do that cause it means he agrees on your other points with the exception of the statement that he highlighted.

Users who are viewing this thread