E, Shanai System Subete Wan'ope shiteiru Watashi wo Kaiko desu ka? - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Fed-Kun's army
Looks like this manga is going to be rather light on programming details, huh.
No hardcore pointer arithmetic action for me, somewhat disappointing.

Fed-Kun's army
damn, i wish it said something sensible when it pretended to get technical... this really kills the mood

Dex-chan lover
Being raised in the south, it's so weird to see this whole 'people never say thank you' thing, because down here almost everybody says thank you for almost everything. Let someone cut in front of you? That's a 'Thank you.'. Hold the door open for someone? That's a 'Thank you.'. Do literally anything even remotely nice? That's a 'Thank you.'. Seriously, what's so hard about saying two simple words to show basic gratitude for niceties?
And even if there's no thank you. Everyone smiles and does it back for each other. Like seriously it's called being a decent human being. People aren't your dormat.

Dex-chan lover
theres a difference in just saying thank you by reflex vs actually being thankful and meaning it

seems like their schools business model is "therapy for depressed IT engineers", might as well just give them a money printing machine.
At least in my experience everyone in the south (US) does mean it. The underlying thing isn't even that we say thank you. It's that we generally take more time in speaking. I actually had to learn about this a lot, but it's rather interesting because northerns perceive this as southern either being less intelligent and not able to talk faster or that they take more consideration into their speech. But the fact is we generally just care more about individual human connection. We don't just say thank you, to say thank you. We take time in saying it and perform the same action for others and typically make sure the action is complete (like someone doesn't need more help). Literally our greeting is "hi how are you" and yeah most people say good and keep walking or good and ask it back, but if you express you aren't just good and want to talk about it (even to a random stranger) they'll listen. Definitely aren't licensed therapist and probably won't give the right advice back but they'll at least listen.

Of course I'm bias, but I genuinely can't imagine this type of toxic work culture in the south. Maybe in Metropolitan areas like Atlanta and Baltimore (though that gets iffy Maryland literally being the line). We might have other issues in the work place that could still lead to a toxic environment, but feeling unappreciated and invisible just doesn't seem like one. But hey maybe that's changing between lock down and online based systems. Like I can't imagine all the interaction I have with other employees being an internal SMS system where I say what I'm doing and get just a thumbs up back. That shits dyspotian.

Dex-chan lover
Is it really true people asks interviewee's private life in interviews? Sounds like a nightmare.
I can only speak for the US and Japan. In the US it's SUPER illegal because of various anti discrimination laws and protecting health records and so on. In Japan, it's actually the traditional norm and only recently changing. Japan has a strong tradition (and still often does) focus on family status and lineage. It'd be considered normal to ask about your parents, what they did for a living, etc. Even in the resume process it's required to include a photograph of yourself (whereas again super illegal in the US).

I mean it's somewhat interesting. Japanese companies can't really fire people easily and often aren't looking for someone that fits the job description, but more sometimes personality and appearance they like. You're being judged on more of a social level than you'd expect. Partially this is also to blame why when someone does get fired, it's REALLY hard to find a new job and it's also difficult to quit a bad work environment. In comparison I can say in the US we have much more of an easier firing rate which is less stable but prevents being stuck in a job and means in the hiring process jobs focus on if you can do the task/responsibilities. And then there's all the anti discrimination laws. That said even in the US interviewers will ask personal question that are illegal because they're shooting the breeze or trying to make small talk (this is especially common in the south or more rural places).

Users who are viewing this thread