Enough with This Slow Life! I Was Reincarnated as a High Elf and Now I’m Bored - Ch. 20

Wynn need more screentime. It’s gonna be interesting to see him interact with his “siblings” in the next chapter considering they’ll be in their 20’s already.

Dex-chan lover
This and Sousou no Frieren are the only manga (that I am aware of) that manage to realistically portray what happens when someone experiences the flow of time and age on an astronomically different level than others.

Aesir will not only have to deal with Kaeha's final years. There will even come a moment when he will have to realize that he'll still be practically the same when it's Wynn's time.

I do not even have the courage to calculate what age Nonna (the human girl that acted as Wynn's foster mom right after Aesir took him in) is at this point.
Sengoku youko has (very late ending spoiler>)
several of the characters become immortal over the course of the story and you see two characters in particular bond strongly with everyone around them and become a couple and live along with their found family, and later multiple generations of biological family, and.... The heartbreak of the immortal partner watching their mortal partner pass away in very old age.

Luckily, they had everyone around them to comfort them but, after seeing that for the better part of 80-100 years (most of the found family was mortal) they end up setting out to become a wanderer because it hurt too much. I loved the ending despite how much it absolutely broke my heart for them.

I've honestly been super fascinated by seeing stories explore immortality, fleeting relationships and intergenerational fondness every since reading it.

and other stories with mythological characters tend to address it, this one in particular lets the build up really hurt you though.. I'm kind of scared to see whats going to occur in these next few chapters but I hope at least they can celebrate Kaeha's life, love and achievements. She did the near impossible and brought their school back and raised two (three) really amazing kids. Must've made her mum so proud.

I'd assume Nonna is in her 30s-40s maybe now, I just hope that she's happy and isn't pining after Aesir just like Kaeha did. Lets not have Aesir leave a trail of pining women behind him...

Dex-chan lover
I have such a rollercoaster of emotions whenever reading this, it's so amazing that it draws you in so incredibly deep into the setting that it gives me second hand anxiety when they start talking about the passage of time.
Simply phenomenal title

Dex-chan lover
Lots of people wish they could live for an eternity. Stories like this are for those who wish they couldn't

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if the manga will continue until his "death"
Is possible, but gonna be a pretty long time if we're lucky for the manga to keep going that long, for the record we just finished WN Chapter 10 and WN have 36 Chapters so far in which he is 532 years old

Dex-chan lover
I love this manga, it's a remarkable approach that I don't think I've encountered before. It just FEELS so good, and it has an MC who is categorically remarkable but also simply feels very down to earth.
I believe "Sousou no Frieren" is like that, but I only read the first chapter, so can't verify if it continues like that over the whole story.

Dex-chan lover
Kaeha Kaeha Kaeha Kaeha Kaeha Kaeha Kaeha ~!!
Ready your tissues boys and gals. We're in for a rough time next.

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

It never cease to amaze me how much time skip can happen smoothly in here...
(OωO )...

Dex-chan lover
why you gotta do me like that man
dbc.jpg
it's because
iu

Dex-chan lover
There's a lot to unpack this chapter. I think the biggest thing it drives is that Aesir is essentially a living God or the closest a mortal can get to a god. He's a special kind of immortal even compared to other elves and that's automatically going to cause problems in relationships and how he views time. In addition to that with both his natural abilities with the spirits and the time he has he can become an expert (if not a master) in virtually every skill

With Wynn as his adoptive son this automatically casts a huge shadow and can easily create an inferiority complex. Like was said this chapter comparing oneself to Aesir won't do anyone good, but he's also all Wynn knows for a father and consistent parent and it's hard for one's child not to compare themselves to them. Further down the line as Wynn realizes he ages slower than most people (at least humans) and that full elves age slower than him, he'll have to realize that Aesir ages much slower than both groups. I can't imagine how traumatizing it will be for him (or for Aesir) to realize the son will eventually die of old age best case scenario while the dad still looks the same as when they first adopted the son.

Then we have Kaeha's case who fell in love with him and had to come to terms with the fact that they would never be together and she wouldn't even get to live for a fraction of Aesir's lifetime. What she's already done just to ensure he leaves some lineage and legacy to keep pace with Aesir is kinda heartbreaking. The next arc is going to be somewhere between the saddest and most bittersweet.

Honestly I just want to give kudos to Aesir for maintaining a positive demeanor this long. He's far more interesting to watch than most immortals because he's constantly making and treasuring relations with people despite knowing he'll outlive them by a large margin. Maybe it's because he's a reincarnator bit its compelling to watch someone at least on the surface make the most of their immortality socially.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy time to take care of a close to dying waifu.
That said, I'm quite curious if Aesir's guess that Kaeha's kids really were with the knight guy, or did she adopt them like Aesir's to Wynn's case.

"Next time you see me, I'll polishin' the throne with my ass"
I'm gonna miss the dwarves.

Dex-chan lover
He's outliving everyone so Kaeha's last moments will truly be tear-jerker. Else, he'd find out that she have passed on already... :|
Why are you like this???

Also, it feels so weird someone saying "I'll stay for 10-20 years" as if it's a week long vacation lol

Users who are viewing this thread