Fake Saint of the Year: You Wanted the Perfect Saint? Too Bad! - Ch. 27.2

Dex-chan lover
Page 3 looks wrong. It should be that he imprisoned Alexia AND provoked the monsters. The monsters were needed to kill her before she fully turned into a witch.

Dex-chan lover
The king is definitely making the most rational decision. The current saint always turns into the next witch. And given Elrise’s strength, she would be the most nightmarish witch so far. The world is definitely better off with Elrise living to a ripe old age, then let the next (normal powered) saint kill the witch. (Of course, Elrise isn’t actually the saint, but the king doesn’t know that. And there’s another factor, but the king doesn’t know that one either.)

Elrise’s strength. I’m going to put this in spoilers, because I’m not sure when it’s made clear in the LN, but it’s central to the king’s (and other rulers’) reasoning.
Prior to Elrise showing up, the world was screwed, roughly within a generation or two of falling completely and irreparably to the witches. Every generation, more people killed, more land lost, more land permanently tainted. That sequence was near the end.

Then Elrise shows up, and not only does she start killing demons much earlier than usual (at 8 instead of 15), she steamrolls them. Prior saints had to hide behind armies to avoid being killed by armies of monsters. But Elrise literally flies around obliterating massive numbers of monsters with no help (just for the lulz of beating up on the weak). Prior to Elrise something like 95% of land is controlled by demons. But by this point, that’s reversed that to only about 5%.

And as if that wasn’t enough, she was (for lulz) inventing new magic to cleanse the land and grow crops rapidly. Oh, and she went out, found potatoes and cultivated them into a farm crop. Most people weren’t dying to monsters — they were dying to starvation instead. And Elrise fixed that too.

On top of that, because monsters are pushed back (not threatening every road) and because starvation is no longer an omnipresent threat, it’s no longer a dog eat dog world. Higher QoL, some actual leisure time, and better much less backstabbing brutality. (E.g. see Sensei Supple’s backstory in 8.2.)

This is why she is the greatest saint by far, and why they’re rightfully terrified of the prospect of her turning evil.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
the king's actually a fairly standup guy, he just wants what's best for the world and it makes sense for him to do this over effectively dooming humanity if Elrise ever became a witch we know she won't but he doesn't. there are much worst kings out there in the LN
Irrc get disowned and basically never talked about again
Its also why I don't hold much against Leila because as far as from her perspective Elrise is the most virtuous person who'll defeat the witch and try to endure it. she might succeed she might not but either way she'll be suffering at least this way she's guaranteed a relatively long life.

Dex-chan lover
im still wonder what the concept behind saint becomes witch after kill a witch.
is it a karma system?
or some kind of curse type where it turn anyone who kill them into evil immortal when they died?
cause until now, i thought the saint becomes witch because after defeating the witch, the people especially the king feared them if they taking over the throne from the noble since saint is loved by people. hence the saint is being shunned, cased, framed, or even assassinated to the point those previous saint ended up fallen to darkness because the betrayal and become witch

Dex-chan lover
I am surprised the gap between each Saint is really short, like you can have at least 4 different Saints in your life

Dex-chan lover
I am surprised the gap between each Saint is really short, like you can have at least 4 different Saints in your life
Sequence is:
1. Saint is born.
2. Saint gets powers around age 15.
3. Saint fights/defeats witch. (About 2-5 years on average?)
4. Saint turns into witch. (About 2-5 years.)
5. New saint is born (only after prev saint becomes witch).

So there’s only one saint at a time, but about 4-5 per century. Also, for about 3/4 of time the witch is dominant vs only 1/4 of the time free from the witch.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
im still wonder what the concept behind saint becomes witch after kill a witch.
is it a karma system?
It’s kind of complicated, and not fully explained until 4th vol of LN. But we’ll get a partial explanation when the next arc starts. I’ll just note that even a lore/logic nut like myself was satisfied by the explanation.

Dex-chan lover
Page 3 looks wrong. It should be that he imprisoned Alexia AND provoked the monsters. The monsters were needed to kill her before she fully turned into a witch.
Should be something like: He imprisoned Alexia and monsters together in the castle dungeon in the hopes that monsters would kill Alexia while she was still in saint mode. But it didn’t work — the monsters immediately accepted her as the witch, and allied with her instead. (And BTW, the witch can’t kill herself.)

Double-page supporter
The time to act was ages ago, go beat every idiot up and give your useless servant a spanking for doubting you.

And seriously throw that rapist into a dark cell.
Dw the older brothers get what they deserve sent to an underground mine of sorts where even the prisoners there torture them, and the youngest prince gets Minor punishments due to them being coerced into it and also due to problems with succession

Dex-chan lover
The king is definitely making the most rational decision. The current saint always turns into the next witch. And given Elrise’s strength, she would be the most nightmarish witch so far. The world is definitely better off with Elrise living to a ripe old age, then let the next (normal powered) saint kill the witch. (Of course, Elrise isn’t actually the saint, but the king doesn’t know that. And there’s another factor, but the king doesn’t know that one either.)

Elrise’s strength. I’m going to put this in spoilers, because I’m not sure when it’s made clear in the LN, but it’s central to the king’s (and other rulers’) reasoning.
Prior to Elrise showing up, the world was screwed, roughly within a generation or two of falling completely and irreparably to the witches. Every generation, more people killed, more land lost, more land permanently tainted. That sequence was near the end.

Then Elrise shows up, and not only does she start killing demons much earlier than usual (at 8 instead of 15), she steamrolls them. Prior saints had to hide behind armies to avoid being killed by armies of monsters. But Elrise literally flies around obliterating massive numbers of monsters with no help (just for the lulz of beating up on the weak). Prior to Elrise something like 95% of land is controlled by demons. But by this point, that’s reversed that to only about 5%.

And as if that wasn’t enough, she was (for lulz) inventing new magic to cleanse the land and grow crops rapidly. Oh, and she went out, found potatoes and cultivated them into a farm crop. Most people weren’t dying to monsters — they were dying to starvation instead. And Elrise fixed that too.

On top of that, because monsters are pushed back (not threatening every road) and because starvation is no longer an omnipresent threat, it’s no longer a dog eat dog world. Higher QoL, some actual leisure time, and better much less backstabbing brutality. (E.g. see Sensei Supple’s backstory in 8.2.)

This is why she is the greatest saint by far, and why they’re rightfully terrified of the prospect of her turning evil.
it's really sad that I have to rely on spoilers from the comments to know how exactly strong Elrise is.

The manga just doesn't portray anything good at all. Like, I know the whole "saint-to-witch" situation is fucked and terrible, and witches are bad. But reading the manga I don't actually feel that.
Genuinely thought this series was just a fun SoL and then boom, so much plot about the saint-witch thing that sounds very serious (and yet I still don't feel that reading till now).

what I'm trying to say that while I'm very thankful for the scans team for each new chapter, I'm also severely disappointed in the manga for how they are adapting the novel. The novel sounds so much cooler/serious/fun to read.

Users who are viewing this thread