Franken Fran Frantic

It's not Franken Fran without an unexpected twist hahaha! With the way it ends, it seems like those quasi-clones may end up forming a relationship with each other after all.

Group Leader
2020 just keeps on giving, right up to the end.

Chapter 22: “Another Country” summary:
Mikage is a librarian who stocks the library full of BL (Boy’s Love) erotica. Fran gets hooked and spends a sleepless night reading Mikage’s recommendations, after which she meets up with Mikage so the two can creep on guys they think would be hot together (all while making hentai faces at each other).
SjMAACH.png

Okita rains on Fran’s parade by saying that real homosexual relationships between men aren’t like how they’re depicted in BL manga. Fran gets pissed and storms off in a huff. Sulking in her lab, she begins pondering the nature of homosexuality in men. She comes to the conclusion that testosterone produces aggressive behavior and an interest in women, so gay men must have a lot of estrogen. She invents a pathogen that will convert testosterone into estrogen, in order to create a “Boy’s Love Paradise”. She shows the prototype to Mikage and tells her that she’ll begin trials with willing volunteers, but Mikage steals the vial and plans to release it. Fran goes to stop Mikage before she can release it into the water supply, but then gets horny thinking about all the gay sex it’ll produce, and decides to let it happen.
As she predicted, male couples begin appearing everywhere. Mikage contacts Fran again and confesses her frustration over not being able to partake in all the new romance going on. Fran performs a sex change operation on her, and Mikage transfers schools so he can begin a new life where he can flirt with all the men he wants. However, Mikage is cornered by a huge crowd of men who confess their love for him and proceed to gangbang Mikage (who cries about how this isn’t at all like BL erotica). Back at the lab, Okita asks why Fran hasn’t been reading BL erotica lately, to which she replies that she lost interest in it after seeing what it was really like.

In very much related news, Unmendable Scans is dropping this series. It’s been a joyless chore for awhile now, and Frantic has been a disappointing cash grab overall. Anyone who wants it is welcome to it. Before we go, I’d just like to correct some popular misinformation: Katsuhisa Kigitsu is not a woman. Katsuhisa is an unambiguously male name, and here’s a photo of him unmasked in a short interview about motorcycles:
https://youwbike.exblog.jp/29909695/

QSS

Group Leader
Understandable drop. Definitely a chapter in poor taste.

@unmendablescans Thank you for the work you've put into this project.

This sequel is definitely not as enjoyable as the previous series. The plots of the individual chapters aren't as interesting, and there's little of the humor the previous series had.
Even though it's the same author, I'm wondering if he didn't plan to continue Franken Fran but was pushed into it by the publisher/manager/whatever.
This sequel has no heart or punch like the original had. Imma drop it as well, even if another group picks it up eventually. Not worth continuing, especially after reading the summary of chapter 22.

Dex-chan lover
this is much light-hearted compared the prequel

well, the fact translation dropped this is kinda disappointing.

Group Leader
@unmendablescans was wondering if you still have the raws, I wouldn't mind picking it up again, at least to finish the volume.
nvm, saw your credits page. lel at that chapter.

Hell yeah Franken Fran is one of my favourite mangas of all time! Great to find there is a sequel. Thanks for the upload!

I remembered liking the original, but after 25ish chapters of the new one it feels like the author has zero new ideas and is just doing the same thing every chapter - generic premise intro, things go seemingly well, then surprise! it was actually horrible and the subject turned into a monster/rapist/cannibal/etc. or even more lazily, the middle part is skipped and it's just straight gore the entire time with no substance (like in chapter 26 that I read just now that was so boring that I finally decided to just drop it). it seems like the original series had way more effort and originality put into each one and you never totally knew where a chapter was going; sometimes it would turn out just fine, funny, cute, or still just horrible, but it didn't feel like getting the same thing over and over like it does now.

Users who are viewing this thread