Fukakai na Boku no Subete o - Vol. 5 Ch. 27

Double-page supporter
bruh TRANS MEN REPRESENTATION??? IN MY JAPANESE MANGA???? fucking Based.

This chapter was pretty good, almost made me tear up. Kinda sad there's only one more chapter left.

Fed-Kun's army
@liquid_2 Regarding Mogumo's name, I sympathize with your discomfort, but what else could Tetsu have called them? Mogumo is their last name, and Tetsu is talking to their family, who are also "Mogumo." I guess he could have used "Mogu-chan," but that is feminine enough a nickname that it probably would have led to a tangent argument with Mogumo's Dad about names, instead of keeping the focus on Mogumo's overall identity.

Also, about the "have you heard of gender identity" stuff, remember this is conservative Japan. A lot of people, especially of the older generations, know nothing about gender identity or transpeople. Tetsu explaining the basics by using his sister as an example was a reasonable tactic imo.

@mirewitch honorifics are not gendered in Japanese, -chan is not a feminine honorific.

Mark-chan or Marie-chan sounds absolutely the same to a Japanese person's ears, just endearing ways to refer to these people.

Fed-Kun's army
@ugo7281 I agree -chan is gender neutral when talking about a child or family, but its pretty rare for two non-female adolescents to use it when referring to one another, as opposed to -san or no honorific. Also to clarify I'm not saying that "Mogu-chan" is inherently feminine, I'm saying an older conservative man like Mogumo's father might interpret that nickname as feminine in this context, and that could lead to a tangent argument about Mogumo's name. I guess this is subjective, but that was my interpretation of why Tetsu deliberately used "Ryuunosuke-san", even though he knows Mogumo doesn't like that name and normally doesn't use it.

Edit: An article discussing honorifics that backs up what I'm saying about -chan: https://japanpowered.com/japan-culture/chan-kun-senpai-japanese-honorifics

Double-page supporter
@mirewitch thanks for the clarification on the name, i assumed mogumo was a chosen name somewhere along the line of the story. ryuunosuke is ultra masc and i don't recall tetsu using it before so it felt odd

re: your second point there are lots of ways to talk about gender without immediately medicalizing it and talking about it like a condition!

Finally, off the cliffhanger and back onto solid ground. Super hyped for the final chapter! :) thank you Hachimitsu scans for your hard work scanlating this fantastic work of art.

Aggregator gang
lol, these onion ninjas are on a roll these days...

Yeah, anyway glad my point about them being 'unintentional assholes' because of lack of knowledge about this stuff was fleshed out properly, I am gonna give this story a solid 8. It started out subpar with whiny characters but later with a strong story and a varying range of characters with their own strengths and quirks. I would love to read more of such stories, ex=specially from this author, I like their art very much.
I fI had to give a suggestion, it would be to tone down the drama a little and give the story a bit more time to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread