Gleipnir - Vol. 9 Ch. 53

Group Leader
Lemme tell you guys, I run a bit on my blog of "manga caps out of context" and this manga has been a treasure trove for it. Might even surpass fujimi lovers

@GreySith

Dude I agree on your theory that Aiko = Claire

Hence I think it's like this is a love circle

Naoto --> Aiko --> Shuichi --> Elena --> Kaito --> Honoka --> Naoto

wall of text
I apologies in advance for the overly long and probably rather delirios post.I think Clair == Aiko (and she isn't actually Elena's sister) because:
1. Clair and Aiko have a similar character design.
2. Shuichi and friends happy childhood memories happen in a boarding school for children who's parents are way to busy working, so it would have made sense for Clair as Elena's slightly younger sister to have been part of their cheery little group as well, however she is never shown or mentioned.
Also during Kaito's fight with Shuichi and Clair, despite referring to everybody else by name he refers to Clair as "that woman", further more in the end he asks Clair "Did Elena erase your memories too?" rather than "did your sister erase your memories too?".
3. Kaito's comment about Clair being the one that destroyed everything suggests she was responsible for Aiko's suicide, however, during the Shuuichi and friends reunion scene Aiko(Honoka) says she hasn't seen Shuichi and Elena in a long while, this suggest that Aiko and Elena (and thus Clair) lived far apart so there shoudn't have been much of a chance for Clair to influence Aiko.
4. When Honoka first meets the Alien she says she wants to introduce him to her friends, however, Elena, Shuichi, Naoto and Kaito only seem to learn about the alien only after Honoka replaces Aiko. But then what about Aiko herself, she and Honoka were best friends, doesn't it seem a bit weird that there is no scene of Honoka telling or deciding not to tell Aiko about the alien.
5. Motive: Suicide isn't that easy, running away from home isn't that hard. Kaito initially thinks that Honoka killed Aiko because Aiko had everything Honoka wanted. But what about the reverse, Aiko, feeling constrained by her current existence wanted to run away. When Honoka told her about the alien she imidiatly saw the doppelganger potential and started thinking of switching places. Realizing that Honoka probably wouldn't be able to play the part if she simply asked her, accurately anticipating Honoka's reaction, Aiko decided to fake her own suicide.
6. Means: ..dunno :( .. As far as faking her suicide goes, if it's Claire she could probably think of some mundane means to do so.
In regards to becoming Elena's sister, she persuaded Elena to become her co-conspirator and then blackmailed Elena's parents into legally adopting her.
Also it's possible that she is actually secretly a coin user, in fact if she was the second person after Honoka to learn about the alien it's possible that she might actually have been the first to find the spaceship and gain 100 coins worth power.
@Yggdraseed
Thanks for actually reading my post 😀.
I rather disagree on the love/relationship vector though:
past:
Elena <-- sweet innocent puppy love --> Shuichi
Kaito --> stalker love --> Honoks --> stalker love --> Naoto
Naoto --> raw attraction to alpha female --> Aiko
Honoks <-- best friends --> Aiko
Aiko --> hook up with guy to set him up with best friend --> Naoto
after Aiko "suicide":
Naoto --> phisical attraction to Aiko's body + emotional attraction to the Honoka trying to be Aiko personality = True Love --> "Aiko"(Honoka)
"Aiko"(Honoka) --> guilty love --> Naoto
Kaito --> criminally obsessive stalker love --> Honoka
"Aiko"(Honoka) --> guilty sympathy/pity --> Kaito
Also up to shortly before Clair(Aiko)'s and Shuichi's memory erasure I think motives were like this:
-1- Shuichi and Elena : Believed that Honoka had already suffered enough and were counting on Clair(Aiko)'s demonic intelligence to find a way to put Honoka to her final rest.
-2- Kaito : Wanting the original Honoka, counted on Clair(Aiko) using empathy puppy Shuichi as a filter/catalyst for her memories of her best friend to recreate Honoka's true soul.
-3- Naoto : Openly and ideologically supported -1- but deep down was still in love with "Aiko"(Honoka) and so was hoping for -2- but with the end result being "Aiko"(Honoka) rather than original Honoka.
-4- Clair(Aiko) : While playing all of the above, she was actually aiming for Kaito and Naoto to kill each other as penance for their role in getting her best friend killed, and then to fully resurrect a Honoka that wouldn't be distracted by the male kind.
@Phaaze
The coin user theory makes sense though. It would also further solidify the fact that Claire is the worst 'partner' for Shuichi.
@1idd0kun
All the opposite. She's the most different to Shuichi which is why she's the best partner for him, but the author is probably reserving her moment for the final battle. She's still got a coin after all. What is she gonna wish for? The answer to that question will probably be the key to defeat Honoka at the end. Naoto said the strength of your transformation has nothing to do with how many coins you got. It's all about how much determination you have. Claire's coin and determination will save the day at the end. I could bet on it.
@Phaaze
I'd completely forgotten Claire had one until watching the anime. That's a powerful plot device right there.
But until that time, Shuichi would be more powerful with other coin users.
Didn't Clair give her coin back to Elena in c50p7 though?
@ILoveTsundere
So if I've been reading it correctly, then so far the whole thing goes like this:
1. Honoka meets the alien, from the looks if it right after the big scandal involving her father
2. The alien and Honoka bond and she proposes making a game where collecting coins grants wishes
3. Aiko kills herself for reasons unknown (possibly Claire's doing?), Honoka takes her body
4. Kaito comes in and investigates Honoka's disappearance (turns out she and her family got harassed heavily)
5. Kaito follows Honoka (in Aiko's body) and finds the alien
6. The rest of the gang meet the alien and the alien tells them Honoka took over Aiko's body
7. Kaito is convinced Honoka killed Aiko, but the rest of the gang just wants to ignore/forget the whole ordeal
8. Kaito takes justice into his own hands and kills Honoka (in Aiko's body)
9. Kaito finds out Aiko had actually killed herself so he murdered Honoka for no reason
10. Kaito goes crazy, gives himself revival powers and at some point creates monster Honoka
11. Elena turns herself and Shuuichi into monsters (this most likely happened at the same time Kaito was creating monster Honoka)
12. Shuuichi gets into a fight with Claire
13. Elena erases Claire and Shuuichi's memories
14. Elena kills (?) her own parents, Naoto turns into a monster (this must've happened after Shuuichi and Elena's fight with Claire, since Naoto calls himself a 'replacement')
15. Monster Honoka had been erasing people since her creation
16. Elena joins up with Naoto and a few other collectors to kill monster Honoka
17. Manga starts
Claire's part in it all is missing but given Kaito's reaction and what he says to her, it's very possible she's tied to Aiko's suicide or a secondary tragedy that occured while Kaito was still gathering coins.
Elena killed (?) her parents 6 months ago and 6 months ago she also turned Shuuichi into a monster... so whatever happened between Claire, Elena and Shuuichi happened within a couple of weeks at most.
Slight subjective corrections:
3. & 6. Honoka has the alien shape-shift her to look like Aiko.
8. Kaito kills Honoka-Aiko out of jealousy and anger at her not being the person he wanted her to be.
9. Kaito convinces himself that he is not an obsessive psychopath and only killed Honoka out of concern for her.
10. Kaito acquires resurrection powers for the sake of reviving Honoka.
10.3. Not being entirely sure about what he wants from her and not wanting her to feel too fake, Kaito tells Monster Honoka to go figure her personality on her own.
10.6. Monster Honoka starts absorbing/erasing people in order to try to get back her real soul.
11. Shuichi and Elena transform themselves into Monsters in order to try to stop Kaito and Honoka.
12. Clair starts psychologicaly abusing Shuichi in order to reduce his super nice guy mentality so as to get him ready to kill Kaito and Honoka.
12.5. ?? Clair kills parents ??
13. Elena breaks down at seeing the guy she loves turn into a true monster and so decides to scrap their current plan by erassing Clair and Shuichi's memories.
14. After erasing Clair's memories, Elena also makes it seem like she (Elena) was the one that killed parrents.
16. Elena recruits Naoto and others to try to find an alternate way to defeat Kaito and Honoka.
16.5. Naoto becomes a monster as Suichi's replacement.
17. Anime/Manga starts.

Users who are viewing this thread