Golden Kamuy - Vol. 26 Ch. 251 - Sapporo Brewery

Did the translator, who normally looks into every single little detail, miss the fact that "love on the battlefield" is a Metal Gear Solid reference?

@TheAmazingAvian, If this arc ends up being as important and story shaking as Abashiri prison I could see this being were Nikaido actually dies. That said if he survives nose or an eye seem the most likely since losing 3 limbs in a row could be boring and anything else I can think of would be fatal in many scenarios.

Group Leader
@Bente_Koini

It's been a while since I played MGS, but I don't believe it actually IS a reference (or at least not a blatant enough reference to put in the glossary). I had the same idea you did when I first read that line. But Otakon's line is "Can love bloom on the battlefield?"/戦場でも愛は芽生えるのだろうか. The wording of his line and the line on the title page aren't similar at all except for including the words "love" and "battlefield." Noda's references are usually much more obvious and if he parodies a famous quote he usually sticks closer to the original wording. So I figured it was too much of a stretch to claim that it's an MGS reference and I didn't include it in the glossary. Anyway, hope that helps answer your question!

You think you have some sort of notion as to how the fight will go down, but well, I'm pleasantly surprised every single time. Who was gonna expect a human shuriken, huh, lol
Loved the fact that Vasily caught Ogata thanks to the fireworks. Loved the fact that Ushiyama, although a beast, knew he couldn't go against five soldiers. LOVED Sugimoto's face when Nikaido howled at him, like, "well, this fucker is here too."
Thanks for updating!!

Dex-chan lover
I like the nice touch that Aspira stays in the shadows because of Sugimoto warning, but she looks so funny being all black. Also that part with Nikaido, Sugimoto may have beaten him many times before but now the dude is on meth, it's going to be a crazy battle!

I lost it at poorly drawn sugimoto
And this is still your pfp even now, respect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread