Guild no Uketsukejou Desu ga, Zangyou wa Iya Nanode Boss wo Solo Toubatsu Shiyou to Omoimasu - Ch. 23 - Personal Principles

Dex-chan lover
This chapter was a good spot for it to end. We basically got the answer that she likes her overtime and likes saving people so she's going to continue doing both, even if she complains about it on the outside. And everything is back to how it was, except she's getting friendly with her stalker now.

But we're in the middle of a volume so obviously it's not done.
Checking a fantranslation of LN Vol 1, the manga has covered all of its story there. There are 6 more books in this ongoing series.

Official licenced translation releases this Sep 19th. https://yenpress.com/titles/9781975...y-boss-to-clock-out-on-time-vol-1-light-novel

Dex-chan lover
This chapter was a good spot for it to end. We basically got the answer that she likes her overtime and likes saving people so she's going to continue doing both, even if she complains about it on the outside. And everything is back to how it was, except she's getting friendly with her stalker now.

But we're in the middle of a volume so obviously it's not done.
Good place for me to drop the series though.

It's been ok, but resetting right back to the status quo makes me sure that we're never going to see any progress before it inevitably gets axed.

Dex-chan lover
Magically just won the fight just like that.
Not that I complained, it was dragging too long anyhow.

Good place for me to drop the series though.

It's been ok, but resetting right back to the status quo makes me sure that we're never going to see any progress before it inevitably gets axed.
I should not give spoilers but there are progresses in the next volumes of the light novel:

The guild master Glenn would be a villain who tried to be a demon god. The junior receptionist Lyra was a demon god as old as her former friend, the defeated Silha, and had always known who the executioner really was. In addition, though I haven’t read Volume 6 but Wikipedia says the heroine’s childhood friend and trauma, Shroud, was actually the missing great sage and later managed to resurrect himself.

Dex-chan lover
I should not give spoilers but there are progresses in the next volumes of the light novel:

The guild master Glenn would be a villain who tried to be a demon god. The junior receptionist Lyra was a demon god as old as her former friend, the defeated Silha, and had always known who the executioner really was. In addition, though I haven’t read Volume 6 but Wikipedia says the heroine’s childhood friend and trauma, Shroud, was actually the missing great sage and later managed to resurrect himself.

I appreciate the spoilers, but looking at them I'm definitely not interested in continuing the series.

It already felt kind of middling and those developments seem more convoluted than intriguing.

Dex-chan lover
I think the fight was magical at least three ways anyway. I find that almost always when the protagonist finds some magical way of defeating her opponent, said opponent just found a magical way to prolong the fight in the first place. But somehow, people rarely say anything about the latter, despite being what actually pads out the fight and make it seem less plausible.

Dex-chan lover

Interesting, so there is some kind of overarching plot developments throughout the novels.

Supporter
I think the fight was magical at least three ways anyway. I find that almost always when the protagonist finds some magical way of defeating her opponent, said opponent just found a magical way to prolong the fight in the first place. But somehow, people rarely say anything about the latter, despite being what actually pads out the fight and make it seem less plausible.
Power up from the need not only to fight the demon, but to fight the concept of overtime itself.

Group Leader
She’s never getting out of the overtime. The more she tries to solve the issues the more keeps popping up.

Quite a disappointing end for the fight, just power up and finish it within a couple of pages in two hits.
she has plot armor, albeit she needs a "bigger" one :ROFLMAO:

Dex-chan lover
First, I agree with others here that the ending of the fight was anti-climactic. I disagree that it's back to the exact same status quo though. She's more accepting of the situation. And she has hopes that the guild master will actually hire more people. And the tank guy is now helping her with her work... The cooperation agreement seems to work both ways. :D

Second, "no one died"? Someone did die. Rufus was scum and a traitor, but he was still someone. Did they forget about him?

Third, this is the "one-punch man" school of fighting. Their opponent may have hundreds of skills, from trick skills to strong ones, that can adapt to any situation... but MC punches reeeeaaally hard (or hammers in this case), so checkmate. It can work in some cases, but the problem here is that the previous chapter showed them fight on roughly even grounds. You can't just have her win in a couple of hits next without significant effort. It makes the whole previous chapter completely irrelevant.

Dex-chan lover
First, I agree with others here that the ending of the fight was anti-climactic.

-----
Third, this is the "one-punch man" school of fighting. Their opponent may have hundreds of skills, from trick skills to strong ones, that can adapt to any situation... but MC punches reeeeaaally hard (or hammers in this case), so checkmate. It can work in some cases, but the problem here is that the previous chapter showed them fight on roughly even grounds. You can't just have her win in a couple of hits next without significant effort. It makes the whole previous chapter completely irrelevant.
I think this is more her unlocking her divine or supreme divine skill. She is slowly drawing more of it out and gaining more strength. Before this point she was using the bare minimum of her true power. Now she is slowly drawing more out because she is acting out of love for others.

Dex-chan lover
I think this is more her unlocking her divine or supreme divine skill. She is slowly drawing more of it out and gaining more strength. Before this point she was using the bare minimum of her true power. Now she is slowly drawing more out because she is acting out of love for others.
Problem is the flow of these two chapters. (Actually three. Chapter 21 also had her struggling.)
She struggles against an even opponent. She overwhelms a clearly inferior opponent.
There is no transition aside from that last panel in the previous chapter that shows her activating her skill.

Nothing in the story has shown her being a slow-starter. Nothing about her skill needing activation conditions or build-up.
The whole previous chapter is her struggling against what is actually a much inferior opponent. So it's just there to build false tension. Some mangas give "build-up" abilities to their characters so they can struggle and there is tension as the character in question attempts to stay alive long enough for his skill to get ready. But nothing hints that it's the case here. She just got beaten up for no reason, as she's never been shown to be the type to enjoy fights either... in fact she's been established as the exact opposite. Someone who hates fighting, but does it reluctantly to reduce her overtime work and does it as quickly as possible because this too is overtime.

So the whole previous two chapters are a complete contradiction to either every chapter that preceded them or the one that followed them.

Going from chapter 20 straight to chapter 23 would actually work better in terms of consistency. The tension already existed in the form of "will she be on time to save Mr Tank?". Adding the two chapters of "even fight" sequence breaks the flow for cheap additional tension that prove completely artificial in chapter 23.

Or go the opposite direction and make Mr Demon God a true opponent on equal grounds. Show that there are actual threats out there that even the one-punch receptionist struggles with. Other than overtime, that is.

(Edit: then again, you can also establish that her Divine Skill is a build-up type. This can work, but must be done or at the very least hinted at.)

Users who are viewing this thread