Hajime no Ippo - Ch. 1440 - Why Not Just Tell Him?

Dex-chan lover
Morikawa may have brought technology from the future, but he made sure the level of internet literacy stayed in the past.

(Tbf, we haven’t advanced much in terms of the global society’s level of internet literacy even now :ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't be surprised if its mostly the assistants doing the chapters now. It just feels like the old man is doing the minimum to not get axed imo
I firmly disagree.

First reason is simply practical. Professional mangaka have strict contracts to ensure major parts of the work is done by the credited author. If Morikawa is doing something like drafting out a script for his assistants to do, that will get him axed, and blacklisted. Doesn't matter how many years he's been in the business. Assistants have taken over the major work from mangaka before, but they would receive credits by then (and a much larger paycheck that is based on sales rather than a flat rate). There's no requirement to credit assistants for 'normal' assistant work.

Second reason is I don't really see where he's slacking off. It's not even a real fight, and we're getting these super pumped scenes in training or in sparring. And there's as always Morikawa's on-brand humor. I'm sorry but lack of progress on certain character arcs doesn't mean Morikawa is writing, drawing or even thinking less. Even though I said, what if he was just writing out a script for his assistants before, funny thing is even that's not easy, especially for a weekly series.

Dex-chan lover
Itagaki's Twitter feed is exploding. Truly ahead of it's time, literally!

Fed-Kun's army
People should know that this could have been published only on Youtube, before social media boom. Also the world could be surprised when Ippo is fighting like that as a southpaw.

Dex-chan lover
Random trivia: "In Round 1429, the first instance of "200X" was shown."

So the cellphone video may be bordering on an anachronism but not impossible.

We know the EXACT timeline of Hajime no Ippo up to this point. The story's original setting was fixed at 1989. It has been 11 years since then. A couple in-universe years ago (and a few more out-of-universe years), the author even acknowledged (through the manga-ka character that loosely represents himself, Umezawa, who talked about it a little) that it was when the most popular manga in history, One Piece, was just starting/getting off the ground (that chapter occurred in 1998 in this universe's timeline I think, One Piece started in July 1997). He talked about it as some up-and-coming author who immediately got popular with a pirate story, or something like that (I may be misremembering the details but it was very plainly a reference to One Piece).

It should be exactly the year 2000 right now. Smartphones don't exist.

The author has officially decided to take the Detective Conan route and just modernize everything because it's easier. There was no way for them to suddenly jump to 2007 when iphones and youtube existed lol. Even a couple years ago (out of universe), they were still using VHS tapes for recorded matches.

I hope those notifications are about ippo’s performance and not about the title match strategy. I really want mashiba to win ;-;

We know the EXACT timeline of Hajime no Ippo up to this point. The story's original setting was fixed at 1989. It has been 11 years since then. A couple in-universe years ago (and a few more out-of-universe years), the author even acknowledged (through the manga-ka character that loosely represents himself, Umezawa, who talked about it a little) that it was when the most popular manga in history, One Piece, was just starting/getting off the ground (that chapter occurred in 1998 in this universe's timeline I think, One Piece started in July 1997). He talked about it as some up-and-coming author who immediately got popular with a pirate story, or something like that (I may be misremembering the details but it was very plainly a reference to One Piece).

It should be exactly the year 2000 right now. Smartphones don't exist.

The author has officially decided to take the Detective Conan route and just modernize everything because it's easier. There was no way for them to suddenly jump to 2007 when iphones and youtube existed lol. Even a couple years ago (out of universe), they were still using VHS tapes for recorded matches.
PDA’s existed around 2004, along with early “smart” phones. People forget about Blackberry. Obviously the quality was less than 720p.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_phone#:~:text=The first commercial camera phone was the Kyocera Visual Phone,-pixel front-facing camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Dex-chan lover
Itagaki, you re so dumb. You just published a video with the secret plan of your friend to take the world...
he only started recording wen they were slugging off at each other which was after the strategy parts.

Edit: adding this image for evidence. Not even practice anymore, switched back to orthodox, brothers-in-law-brawl. Mashiba wouldn't be taking hits like that from someone acting as his championship opponent, and Ippo wouldnt pretend the opponent would just take shots.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
If the gorilla of takamura had punched ippo, he would have lost the head

Last edited:
Group Leader
I was waiting for it and there it is on page 9. Can't go one fucking chapter without someone fellating the Big Mara.

I didn't think it would actually happen but that idiot Itagaki actually publicly posted the video for all to see. Sharing it with the other gym members would be understandable but he literally said show the whole world.

Dex-chan lover
Ippo sisters I dont feel so good........
Kumi acts like Ippo will become another Colon

I wouldn't be surprised if its mostly the assistants doing the chapters now. It just feels like the old man is doing the minimum to not get axed imo
You are outta your mind if you think this is minimum work.

Fed-Kun's army
I guess playsible deniability is out the window now. We are at least in the very late 2000s now. And even that sounds generous.

Also for a sec i thought kumi was gonna kill ryo... It could still happen i guess

Dex-chan lover
Oh god, can't wait to see the blowback from this... Mashiba is going to be PISSED about that fight being leaked online and what people are inevitably going to be saying about it ("Omg, look Ippo was going toe-to-toe and even seemed to be winning against someone in a higher weight class who's about to have a world title match!")

Dex-chan lover
...wait, did he actually upload it? He actually uploaded the sparring match that was supposed to give Mashiba an edge?

Users who are viewing this thread