Hajime no Ippo - Ch. 1440 - Why Not Just Tell Him?

Dex-chan lover
That viral video will be the trigger of ippo comeback
Or an arc where Ippo has to deal with the negative effects of an internet fueled rumor-mill. Would make for a strong moral message against harassing people who become internet famous against their will.
I really doubt this is what brings him back directly. It would need to be some personal reason to pull him back, not some sort of public pressure.

Dex-chan lover
It would be funny if, out of all things, reasons, plot events, Ippo getting millions of hits on youtube is what brings him out of retirement... Actually, he could make bank as a boxing content creator.
It can play into it. I see Mashiba winning. Ippo didn't land a hit against the actual championship sparring Mashiba. THen after the fight this video can be part of the groundswell that leads Mashiba to challenge Ippo as one of the few fighters wo can go toe to toe wiht him.

top kek is added to this Rosario when loosing tries to use whatever Ippo was doing in the video thinking it is the only way to get hits on Mashiba when it was just a 'family spat'.

Dex-chan lover
is this a step further towards ippo's comeback? thank you for not having social media awareness itagaki

You guys are lost. Ippo hanging on (and barely at that) doesn't mean he should return to the ring. So long as he doesn't address the elephant in the room (his coach, his boxing style), he needs to stay retired.

I don't get why some of ye want him to come out of retirement. He ain't beating ricardo. Especially not as he is now. And crossing that dummy line won't change his odds either.

Yamato damashii could only tale him so far. And that shit will get him permanently hurt had he not the wisdom to retire in the first place.

Ippo was in legit danger of permanent injury because of his incompetent coach. If he does end up coming out of retirement, he has to confront kamogawa at some point. Because it is his fault he had to retire early in the first place.

Aggregator gang
The sign of Punch Drunk can be seen with inability to stop, Ippo broke Volg ribs because he can't stop himself. However during spar with Mashiba, Ippo never let out his Dempsey Roll as a sign that he can control himself better and suppress his reliance over the Dempsey Roll. There is a potential that Ippo can return but how can a broken man with no guts to cross the gate of the monsters and return to the ring again?

Dex-chan lover
So I guess Morikawa is going with a floating timeline like Baki. As even if you add smartphones which did exist in the early 2000s, you wouldn't have social media apps at that time. Thanks for the chapter!!!

Not early 2000s. First iPhone, the first "casual" smartphone, was in 2007. You'd maybe wait until 2009 for when people began using it regularly as a video recorder, if that. In a pre 4G world data slower and lower capacity. Recording via a phone and later uploading it was rather frivolous.

May as well just use a video recording device instead.

I'd say he's entirely skipped 200X and is now in early 201X at the earliest.

Dex-chan lover
You guys are lost. Ippo hanging on (and barely at that) doesn't mean he should return to the ring. So long as he doesn't address the elephant in the room (his coach, his boxing style), he needs to stay retired.

I don't get why some of ye want him to come out of retirement. He ain't beating ricardo. Especially not as he is now. And crossing that dummy line won't change his odds either.

Yamato damashii could only tale him so far. And that shit will get him permanently hurt had he not the wisdom to retire in the first place.

Ippo was in legit danger of permanent injury because of his incompetent coach. If he does end up coming out of retirement, he has to confront kamogawa at some point. Because it is his fault he had to retire early in the first place.

Unlike most, I'm not in a rush to see Ippo come out of retirement right away, but I certainly don't agree that he won't at some point.

It doesn't have to mean that he needs to beat Ricardo by the end. Ricardo could have one last fight with Ippo, then decide that with Ippo, he's finally seen all this world has to offer, and retire too. Ricardo could win, but become truly undefeated, and no knock on Ippo for that. Meanwhile it would be very meaningful for Ippo to step into a ring with him, finally because he's the one who really wants it, not because Kamogawa wants him to.

I'd also cut Kamogawa some slack. It's true Ippo takes a lot of damage in fights, and it wasn't sustainable. Coach himself ended his career as a prize fighter, such as it was, on an extreme take on his style. But Ippo is a short, small fighter, even for a Japanese. His outsized power doesn't change the fact that other fighters are simply able to hit him more, no matter what happens. If he had a more "responsible" fighting style, he'd probably have lost the majority of matches on points. I don't think that is very meaningful, even if it's safer for him. We've seen so many washed up fighters who struggle to find meaning after hitting a wall, and unable to commit to becoming a monster, stepping over some lines to win.

And now that Ippo is more experienced, we can see that coach is slowly prepping him if he ever wants to go back. He certainly isn't expecting it, but that's no reason not to sow the seed. He can only do this because Ippo needs pure experience, not instruction, something he didn't have and didn't have time to gain as a young active fighter.

Dex-chan lover
It would be funny if, out of all things, reasons, plot events, Ippo getting millions of hits on youtube is what brings him out of retirement... Actually, he could make bank as a boxing content creator.
I think that'd be perfect for Ippo, he loves boxing so much, so he'd make awesome videos... When he learns how to make them.

Dex-chan lover
Unlike most, I'm not in a rush to see Ippo come out of retirement right away, but I certainly don't agree that he won't at some point.

It doesn't have to mean that he needs to beat Ricardo by the end. Ricardo could have one last fight with Ippo, then decide that with Ippo, he's finally seen all this world has to offer, and retire too. Ricardo could win, but become truly undefeated, and no knock on Ippo for that. Meanwhile it would be very meaningful for Ippo to step into a ring with him, finally because he's the one who really wants it, not because Kamogawa wants him to.

I'd also cut Kamogawa some slack. It's true Ippo takes a lot of damage in fights, and it wasn't sustainable. Coach himself ended his career as a prize fighter, such as it was, on an extreme take on his style. But Ippo is a short, small fighter, even for a Japanese. His outsized power doesn't change the fact that other fighters are simply able to hit him more, no matter what happens. If he had a more "responsible" fighting style, he'd probably have lost the majority of matches on points. I don't think that is very meaningful, even if it's safer for him. We've seen so many washed up fighters who struggle to find meaning after hitting a wall, and unable to commit to becoming a monster, stepping over some lines to win.

And now that Ippo is more experienced, we can see that coach is slowly prepping him if he ever wants to go back. He certainly isn't expecting it, but that's no reason not to sow the seed. He can only do this because Ippo needs pure experience, not instruction, something he didn't have and didn't have time to gain as a young active fighter.
I think you make a lot of good points and say stuff I agree with, but one thing I disagree with is the "more 'responsible' fighting style" causing him to lose. There is a LOT of unnecessary damage he's taken because of the bullheaded style Kamogawa taught him that he wouldn't have had to take if he had backed off, thought things through with his superior analytical mind, and then adjusted his angle of attack appropriately, instead of constantly pushing in until finally seeing up close the difference, often after getting pounded three or four more times, too.

So with ippo’s age being 26 the year should be 2000-2001 so Itagaki’s smartphone shouldn’t even exist yet since the first popular one was made in 2007 but even then social media didn’t catch on till the early 2010s besides facebook and I guess YouTube

Dex-chan lover
I think you make a lot of good points and say stuff I agree with, but one thing I disagree with is the "more 'responsible' fighting style" causing him to lose. There is a LOT of unnecessary damage he's taken because of the bullheaded style Kamogawa taught him that he wouldn't have had to take if he had backed off, thought things through with his superior analytical mind, and then adjusted his angle of attack appropriately, instead of constantly pushing in until finally seeing up close the difference, often after getting pounded three or four more times, too.

Ippo didn't have a "superior analytical mind" before. That is my point.

Time and time again, other fighters had proven they had superior senses to Ippo in the ring, whether through talent or experience. The only exceptions were washouts, guys on their last legs like Kojima. Many had superior reach, and almost all of them were taller.

Maybe because it's been years since we've had an active boxing Ippo so it's hard to remember, but Ippo was not the type of fighter to do anything except what he was told. Kamogawa could have "told" Ippo to think things through, but on what basis? That kind of thought process doesn't lend it self to adaptability. While Ippo did have some insights, it was rarely in the ring, and he just as often got punished when he over-analysed or backed off his customary bull-in style in the round.

If we're still not convinced, then let's put this into proper perspective here. In this spar (the serious part anyway) with Mashiba, just where was this world championship level fighter who excels at keeping people at a distance ever going to let Ippo do anything but push in? It's nice to talk about Ippo "adjusting his angle of attack", but what does that practically mean and with regard to a highly skilled and experienced fighter like Mashiba?

I personally think the first real time he really expressed independence was when Ippo decided to retire himself. It almost seemed as if Kamogawa was going to have to instruct him to do so on even that. That, to me, has a lot of meaning because Ippo right there, started his journey to be a different kind of fighter.

Meanwhile, Kamogawa has always recognized everything about his fighter, all of these aspects of Ippo's personality and ability. I think it's also overblown, the idea that Ippo had a very self-sacrificial style. Right from the start, Kamogawa had him learn the peek-a-boo style in order to make it all work, before everything else, and that is pretty much the most defensive stance possible. The next thing he taught him was how to bob and weave. More fighters talk about how they can't crack Ippo's defense than how many hits they can land on him.

There isn't a "best way to box" here, there's only a way that best suits the fighter. Ippo was not going to take less damage any other way. He was not going to win his highest profile fights any other way. He would have to completely change, and that is what this retirement super-arc is about. It's been easy for readers to blame Kamogawa because he blames himself for Ippo's damage and retirement right in the manga. But if Takamura is like his son, than Ippo's like his grandson at this point, who has other family and friends Kamogawa is obliged to return Ippo to. I'd be shocked if he didn't blame himself, whether right or wrong. But the fact is he couldn't have done any better. The truer story is why this retirement arc exists in the first place, and it's been getting less and less subtle about it recently.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ippo didn't have a "superior analytical mind" before. That is my point.

Time and time again, other fighters had proven they had superior senses to Ippo in the ring, whether through talent or experience. The only exceptions were washouts, guys on their last legs like Kojima. Many had superior reach, and almost all of them were taller.

And right here is your major mistake: Yes, he DID have a superior analytical mind. He had shown it off over and over and over and over again looking at other fighters in his and at other gyms, and reviewing tapes of his and others' opponents, all the way back to when he reviewed the Tyson videos Takemura gave him and within a week was able to grasp ten leaves in his hand via jabs alone. He was also able to easily pass the written test for his professional boxing license (though that's more a knock on the other boxers who had trouble, lolololol). Point is, Ippo has a great head on his shoulders, and when he can use it, he is dangerous. That's what this arc is showing us now, with him having been able to settle down and stop panicking (somewhat) so he can objectively consider the situation and then provide advice going forward, as he did for Mashiba's sparring partner.

Maybe because it's been years since we've had an active boxing Ippo so it's hard to remember, but Ippo was not the type of fighter to do anything except what he was told. Kamogawa could have "told" Ippo to think things through, but on what basis? That kind of thought process doesn't lend it self to adaptability. While Ippo did have some insights, it was rarely in the ring, and he just as often got punished when he over-analysed or backed off his customary bull-in style in the round.

That's because Kamogawa beat into him the idea to stop thinking and just do what he's told, which was originally to help toughen up his sense of self-worth, because he didn't believe he was capable and didn't have many goals to fight for, with Miyata being his first, but with him leaving the gym, he lost his only personal motivation at the time. It basically became "do it for the Coach" after that. That's why I said that if he had of backed off and actually thought about things instead of just going, "Screw it, follow Coach's orders!" he'd not have taken a lot of unnecessary damage.

If we're still not convinced, then let's put this into proper perspective here. In this spar (the serious part anyway) with Mashiba, just where was this world championship level fighter who excels at keeping people at a distance ever going to let Ippo do anything but push in? It's nice to talk about Ippo "adjusting his angle of attack", but what does that practically mean and with regard to a highly skilled and experienced fighter like Mashiba?

Not talking about this spar. Here, he actually did show he was thinking things through instead of just bulling ahead like he used to. He pressured Mashiba a lot, and Mashiba pressured him back, with changing up his style; however, because Ippo was dedicated to replicating Rosario for Mashiba, he didn't react how he would have reacted solely.

I personally think the first real time he really expressed independence was when Ippo decided to retire himself. It almost seemed as if Kamogawa was going to have to instruct him to do so on even that. That, to me, has a lot of meaning because Ippo right there, started his journey to be a different kind of fighter.

Agreed.

Meanwhile, Kamogawa has always recognized everything about his fighter, all of these aspects of Ippo's personality and ability. I think it's also overblown, the idea that Ippo had a very self-sacrificial style. Right from the start, Kamogawa had him learn the peek-a-boo style in order to make it all work, before everything else, and that is pretty much the most defensive stance possible. The next thing he taught him was how to bob and weave. More fighters talk about how they can't crack Ippo's defense than how many hits they can land on him.

It's not overblown, because it's about the mentality, not the stance. Kamogawa taught him peek-a-boo because he wanted Oppo to get in close while taking punishment to his guard until he could unleash one of his patented wallops that would put serious hurt on whomever got hit. It worked, but he took a lot of excess damage this way instead of utilizing his impressive burst potential to back out for a breath, analyse, and then get back in to the fight. As mentioned above, Kamogawa basically beat it into Ippo to just follow orders and not think for himself, and topped that off repeatedly with not throwing in the towel when Ippo was taking serious damage that could have caused him lasting complications (and definitely contributed to the reason for his retirement).

There isn't a "best way to box" here, there's only a way that best suits the fighter. Ippo was not going to take less damage any other way. He was not going to win his highest profile fights any other way. He would have to completely change, and that is what this retirement super-arc is about. It's been easy for readers to blame Kamogawa because he blames himself for Ippo's damage and retirement right in the manga. But if Takamura is like his son, than Ippo's like his grandson at this point, who has other family and friends Kamogawa is obliged to return Ippo to. I'd be shocked if he didn't blame himself, whether right or wrong. But the fact is he couldn't have done any better. The truer story is why this retirement arc exists in the first place, and it's been getting less and less subtle about it recently.

Definitely disagree that he couldn't have done better. Also disagree that he would not have taken less damage any other way, or that he was not going to win his highest profile fights any other way. It was always when he turned his brain off and just bulled in like Kamogawa taught him to do that he took the most punishment.

Double-page supporter
I firmly disagree.

First reason is simply practical. Professional mangaka have strict contracts to ensure major parts of the work is done by the credited author. If Morikawa is doing something like drafting out a script for his assistants to do, that will get him axed, and blacklisted. Doesn't matter how many years he's been in the business. Assistants have taken over the major work from mangaka before, but they would receive credits by then (and a much larger paycheck that is based on sales rather than a flat rate). There's no requirement to credit assistants for 'normal' assistant work.

Second reason is I don't really see where he's slacking off. It's not even a real fight, and we're getting these super pumped scenes in training or in sparring. And there's as always Morikawa's on-brand humor. I'm sorry but lack of progress on certain character arcs doesn't mean Morikawa is writing, drawing or even thinking less. Even though I said, what if he was just writing out a script for his assistants before, funny thing is even that's not easy, especially for a weekly series.
Tired of reading a slice of life manga that is merely 15 pages a chapter. That is what Hajime no Ippo has been reduced to. We dont know what goes on behind closed doors, but youre telling me that after all these chapters of Ippo being retired, the old man decided to just give us a crumb of ippo sparring like it was intentional? Its clear he was doing the minimum to not get axed. Did you forget about the weighted cuffs tease that revealed ippo still wearing them and people in the comments thought ippo would return? The old man knew it was all about popularity when he debuted Hajime no Ippo, I linked an interview he did where he explains that. interview
You dont think his editor will give him a heads up or let a few assistants do more work? He is a professional mangaka and professional mangaka:
Mori: My mindset has changed, saying, "A professional manga artist's job is not to draw manga, but to gain popularity."

Dex-chan lover
People should remember that he has his other career as well so it's a blessing that he (generally) weekly delivers this. But maybe I enjoy the ride instead of kicking the back of the driver's seat yelling "Are we there yet?"

Dex-chan lover
And right here is your major mistake:...

Tired of reading a slice of life manga that is merely 15 pages a chapter.

My answer to all the criticisms stated can really be summed up by the same point.

After decades of being serialized, it's easy for some readers, especially those who are younger than the series itself, to forget much of what came before, both in substance and in style. This manga is not what you remember, or expect. That's it.

This series has not changed. Ippo was not someone who took unnecessary hits. Readers imagine some kind of paradigm where a boxer becomes champion without taking any considerable hit, that was a realm only someone with superlative talent like Ricardo exists in. In fact Ippo often took extra hits when he forgot coach's instructions or advice. Sometimes Kamogawa tells him to then power through, but only because Ippo refuses to give up in later rounds and it's the only that way or throwing in the towel. Often the only thing preventing Kamogawa throwing in the towel was how fast Ippo won from those situations. IPPO IS THE PROBLEM, if anything. He has never shown his analytical ability in a match itself to a substantial degree, and his ability outside the ring is actually very, very recent, only appearing partway in part 2 of the series.

Readers imagine some manga where it was not 90% spice of life and humor, and 10% spars and bouts. Whether Ippo is active now or not in the narrative, doesn't change anything except who is in the ring once it comes time. But we still get the same excitement. This is not even the longest super arc the series has been in, it's the third and still the shortest of the three.

If Ippo specifically not being in the ring is a problem for readers, then they've also forgotten that one major strength of the manga is how it builds Ippo up through the other fighters that make up the story, by fleshing them out. It's actually most disappointing to get fighters who are caricatures and simply explained, as was common early on in the manga. Morikawa has certainly changed, become more professional, and learned that the cast of characters is what many come back forz that makes this manga popular.

And finally, readers have forgotten the simple fact that this manga still runs. Still draws sales. Still gets a pass by the editors. The series sales dipped after Ippo's retirement arc started, but became steady ever since, indicating that the series long term dedicated fans are enjoying it. The series still gets into the top 10~20 weekly sales consistently and sells through a consistent number of volumes, as it's done pre-retirement. Morikawa is writing something that is popular, that is something his magazine and volume buying readers want to read. Some other readers just might not realize they aren't included.

In fact let me turn that back on itself. Morikawa could write a story more to the liking of many readers here. He can write what some fans think they want, rather than what many others actually read, and more importantly, buy. Morikawa is a professional right? So what's he going to do?

And I'll only just repeat again that this hardly looks like what constitutes "minimum work" for a mangaka. It is definitely not this. I don't see assistant credits on the cover page. And again, writing a story that you think is slow, lacks substance or you simply don't like, isn't less work for the author. This is not school essay writing where a kid spends more than half the time thinking up a plot for a 150 word assignment.

I didn't really want to throw this card, but I've got like 50+ odd volumes of this series on my shelf. At least 20 are from the early days, and the rest from the more recent arcs. I can pick through them and not see any of the stuff you guys talk about, like Ippo's supposed pre-existing talent at analysis, or this lack of 15 pages of SoL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread