Hana ni Arashi - Vol. 12 Ch. 145 - Stay by My Side — Part 1

Dex-chan lover
This is curious... If you're gonna stop the flow of the story to do a multiple chapter flashback of how they met and fell in love anyway... why not start the story from there and have the story flow?
How do you people prefer a manga/comic to be told? Start with the couple already established and later on show how they met and fell for each other or have it all chronologically go from beginning to end?
Does a flashback like this bother you or you're fine with it?

Dex-chan lover
why not start the story from there and have the story flow?
Because that isn't necessarily the best way for the story to flow. Doing it this way lets you linger upon them while together and for the story of how they got together to be backgrounded. Because it isn't a story of how they got together but of how they are while they are together so the story of how they got together is contextualization of the main story, not the main story in itself.

Dex-chan lover
The title of this flashback arc sure hints of finality and knowing there are only 16 chapters to go, it does create a somber mood atleast for me.
Hope the Viz translation will be decent, I'd like to add this to my collection eventually.

Dex-chan lover
Because that isn't necessarily the best way for the story to flow. Doing it this way lets you linger upon them while together and for the story of how they got together to be backgrounded. Because it isn't a story of how they got together but of how they are while they are together so the story of how they got together is contextualization of the main story, not the main story in itself.
It would be like starting Frieren from before the demon king is dead. That's not the story, those aren't the themes.

Dex-chan lover
It would be like starting Frieren from before the demon king is dead. That's not the story, those aren't the themes.
Note that I'm not against it at all lol. I'm just curious about people's thoughts.
But I wouldn't compare it to something as Frieren where each flashback is brought up from moments or events that call out memories from past events.
This flashback here comes out from left field. (Which again isn't bad. I don't dislike it haha. It's just not in the same reasoning or meaning as something as Frieren. It's like instead of events, places, people, etc bringing memories back to Frieren, we just got the whole story of how the party met and formed from the beginning of a new chapter out of nowhere)

I was just curious because story and writing wise, a long flashback that stops the main plot can annoy some people and I wonder what people like and not.
Thanks for sharing opinions!

Dex-chan lover
Note that I'm not against it at all lol. I'm just curious about people's thoughts.
But I wouldn't compare it to something as Frieren where each flashback is brought up from moments or events that call out memories from past events.
This flashback here comes out from left field. (Which again isn't bad. I don't dislike it haha. It's just not in the same reasoning or meaning as something as Frieren. It's like instead of events, places, people, etc bringing memories back to Frieren, we just got the whole story of how the party met and formed from the beginning of a new chapter out of nowhere)

I was just curious because story and writing wise, a long flashback that stops the main plot can annoy some people and I wonder what people like and not.
Thanks for sharing opinions!
Fair! But the flashback placement wasn't the point of the comparison with Frieren. Where and when you start your story is an important decision that communicates the intentions of the story. That's why it didn't start with them before they got together and why Frieren chose to start when it did.

As for this flashback, it doesn't bother me and I'll compare it to Frieren again. The "main goals" in both series are very light--often the "detours" are the intended focus and where the depth lies, not getting to "heaven." So this, likely short, flashback feels perfectly natural, especially since it's showing us stuff we all might have wondered about before.

Dex-chan lover
This is curious... If you're gonna stop the flow of the story to do a multiple chapter flashback of how they met and fell in love anyway... why not start the story from there and have the story flow?
How do you people prefer a manga/comic to be told? Start with the couple already established and later on show how they met and fell for each other or have it all chronologically go from beginning to end?
Does a flashback like this bother you or you're fine with it?
I'm probably exaggerating but like 90% of yuri manga end with the couple getting together (or shortly after), so despite how meandering Hana ni Arashi is (not that I'm complaining about almost drama free slice of life fluff): the fact that they were in a relationship from the very beginning is really a welcome change from the usual formula of the genre.

That said flashbacks to how it started are of course welcome, in fact the love confession has already been shown from both Chidori's and Nanoha's perspective relatively early on.

Users who are viewing this thread