Henkyou Gurashi no Maou, Tensei shite Saikyou no Majutsushi ni naru - Ch. 38 - Yuuki, Iris, Odette Participates in the [Magic Guild] Exam

Dex-chan lover
#MarthaBestGirl

also wow his brother is great.

tho, why 10 years? Irl some people do look stupidly young for a long time. He can just say he doesn't age much and stay around until his 40-50s to disappear.

anw, thanks for the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Yay Martha chapter! She's best girl! And I'm assuming she still calls herself Martha.

Thanks for chap
FINALLY WE'RE GETTING CLOSURE ON WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HIS MAID.

ngl I've been more interested in that than anything he had with the princess.
Same. Honestly I'm still disappointed that they made Alice = princess. I prefer the initial hints where Alice was the princess's ageless grandma.

So, I prefer Martha's chapter or even Odette's chapter.

Dex-chan lover
I now am in the mood of some fantasy/Isekai maid romance

Throw me some suggestios

Dex-chan lover
I really kinda like the way the manga handles it's female characters and their relationship to Yuuki
Like it's not creme of the top feminism writing but still.

Matha could only be a sexy maid for some easy fanservice, this whole "She was the first person to truly care and serve for mc before this whole reincarnation thingy happens" stuff doesn't need to exist within the levels of depth a usual isekai strives for. But it's a nice thing anyway.

Odettes arc about not wanting to marry a man and just stay by her friends side and become a magician has so much possible potential. I don't think the manga is ever gonna live up to it, but as long as it doesn't shoot itself in the foot I don't f*cking mind. Like babygirl Ily so much <3

Objectively this manga doesn't exceed in anyways that would make it noteworthy, it just happens to not fail at anything either.

What it does do well is tickle that little part in my brain that releases happy chemicals

So everytime this updates I go "neat!" and immediently click on the chapter.

559obg.png
Martha's whole arc is that she's basically Yuuki's only true family, and only that by choice (or economic necessity, but even then it was a bad job for his family that hated him until he showed promise). Her total dedication to him is understandable since he's obviously going to be able to provide for her and loves her deeply, but I'm not really sure about how that feeling would work if he makes her immortal. Servitude by personal choice to a reciprocally appreciative master is rare, but at some point she does deserve to have her own life, and unlike the Princess/Alice, she hasn't really signed up for that. She's just a good person. Immortality is, as Yuuki well knows, far more a curse than a blessing.

Dex-chan lover
Stupid politics. Always ruining things. Worse are the political marriages.
I never understood when people say this. IRL almost 70% of married people end up divorcing in less than 8 year, so at which point people started to think that non arranged marriage where bad?
Most people who marry someone they think they love end up unhappy and end up with a broken family, on the other hand people who have an arranged marriage will most of the time stay together and build their family normaly.

It's like people are against political marriage for no reason.

Dex-chan lover
Martha's whole arc is that she's basically Yuuki's only true family, and only that by choice (or economic necessity, but even then it was a bad job for his family that hated him until he showed promise). Her total dedication to him is understandable since he's obviously going to be able to provide for her and loves her deeply, but I'm not really sure about how that feeling would work if he makes her immortal. Servitude by personal choice to a reciprocally appreciative master is rare, but at some point she does deserve to have her own life, and unlike the Princess/Alice, she hasn't really signed up for that. She's just a good person. Immortality is, as Yuuki well knows, far more a curse than a blessing.
Definitly for sure,

wouldn't it also be an absolute tear jerker if she decides to serve Yuuki for her mortal life?
Right now they are siblings/family by choice/Martha might be a Harem member(-bait), however you want to see their relationship based on the little things the narrative drops here and there.

So can you imagine Martha dying from old age, happy and painless. It's sad but not tragic. Yuuki is there and while she didn't get to see him grow old as well, she continued to make memories with him and the others. Leaving no regrets only fond memories?

We're sorta seen Yuuki out living people he cares about, but there is a vast difference between:
-being told important characters died
-The reincarnation timeskip
- somewhat seeing characters we care about die but also not really because what happend before their death is part of the "mistery"

So a character like Martha dying because of the natural flow of time would really drive home the whole cursed not blessed by immortality thing.

But it's not gonna happen, soo...

Dex-chan lover
tho, why 10 years? Irl some people do look stupidly young for a long time. He can just say he doesn't age much and stay around until his 40-50s to disappear.
It's still kind of a medieval fantasy setting. IRL during this time period, you're an old timer by the time you hit forty. If you somehow make it into your fifties? You're not just over the hill, you're older than freakin' dirt.

Dex-chan lover
Once again, Martha marching out her resolve. I honestly love her character. She's pretty damn epic in her own way.

Now I'm just wondering about which route she'll wind up taking. Will it be the immortality route? Or will she go the way of Rhoderia's forbearers and have her descendants serve Yuuki in perpetuity?

Dex-chan lover
It's still kind of a medieval fantasy setting. IRL during this time period, you're an old timer by the time you hit forty. If you somehow make it into your fifties? You're not just over the hill, you're older than freakin' dirt.
yeah so the whole "dead by 30s or 40s" are a misconception. Read this for further information: https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2022/08/conversation-old-age-is-not-a-modern-phenomenon.php

But TLDR: as long as people hit 25 back in medieval time, their life expectancy is 25.7. This means that people in that era who celebrated their 25th birthday could expect to live until they were 50.7, on average — 25.7 more years.

And MC is already in his 20s, so he definitely will live to 50s even if he wasn't an immortal vampire lord.

Though that does mean he can't just say he looks young until 50s like I expected.

Dex-chan lover
yeah so the whole "dead by 30s or 40s" are a misconception. Read this for further information: https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2022/08/conversation-old-age-is-not-a-modern-phenomenon.php

But TLDR: as long as people hit 25 back in medieval time, their life expectancy is 25.7. This means that people in that era who celebrated their 25th birthday could expect to live until they were 50.7, on average — 25.7 more years.

And MC is already in his 20s, so he definitely will live to 50s even if he wasn't an immortal vampire lord.

Though that does mean he can't just say he looks young until 50s like I expected.
Go back and remove that "dumb" rating, because that's NOT WHAT I SAID.

What I was talking about was at what age people are considered old DURING THAT TIME PERIOD.

MEANING: NOT BY THE RECKONING OF OUR MODERN STANDARDS.

And I never said that people never got to be older than 50. I only said that the ones who did make it that far? They were considered old as fuck DURING THAT TIME.

Also, that article of yours is more of a blog post than a scholarly article. The author says that "a lot" of people lived to what we consider old age in our modern era. But what he leaves out is that it's only "a lot" if you're only looking at that one group without considering the rest that form up that average figure.

And the fact that the author uses the term "a lot" is why it's a blog post and not an actual scholarly article being published in one of the big science journals. "A lot" is a very, VERY subjective phrase, and not something you often see in such articles. The only time you do see the word "lot" used in peer-reviewed articles is when its referring to "batches" and "lots".

But ultimately? That link you posted is actually supporting my argument, because:
  1. It is entirely subjective - old age as we see it in the modern day versus old age as it was seen in that time period. And...
  2. That, even though there were people who did indeed live to their 70's and 80's, the vast majority of people were keeling over in their late-40's to early-50's.
It lines up exactly with what I actually said: "IRL during this time period, you're an old timer by the time you hit forty. If you somehow make it into your fifties? You're not just over the hill, you're older than freakin' dirt."

Seriously, when you consider the human life cycle and scale it to about 50 years (the average lifespan of land owners as indicated by the author of that article) and having the aging occurring where appropriate, Yuuki and Iris are gonna stick out like sore thumbs by the time they're 30 - exceptions or not.

In fact, Iris's grandmother was thought to be some kind of aberration for keeping her youthful appearance for as long as she did. She stated that when she met her grandmother, that she she looked like she was 30 years old despite being 50 at the time. (BTW: this is pretty fucking exceptional even this day-and-age. I know because my mother is one such person - 65 years old and she's STILL getting hit on by much younger guys, and right in front of her husband, no less!)

Which means, yeah, it has precedence... But it won't be considered in a favorable light.

And yes, this is the case. Go back and re-read Chapter 13. There is a serious implication there that Iris isn't the most well regarded in the royal family because of the sheer amount of magical power she has. Granted, this is partly because Iris is the daughter of the lowest-ranked wife, and yet she is the most powerful magic user among the other princes and princesses... and that's causing a fair amount of friction in the royal family.

And this was all borne out in Yuuki's duel with the knight-guardian of one of Iris's older sisters.

That said, the other royal children are already looking at her and going "WITCH! WITCH!" (Metaphorically, that is.) How well do you think they're gonna take it when most of them are starting to feel their age creeping up on them, but meanwhile she's thirty-five but still looks like she's twenty?

Also: You're wrong about the current ages of Yuuki and Iris. At the end of Chapter 1, Yuuki says he was ten years old when he regained his past-life memories. And at the start of Chapter 2, he goes on to say that event occurred three years ago, making him 13. And in Chapter 13, Iris clearly states that she is 13 as well. And only one month passed, from the duel between Yuuki and Zeros, to the time Yuuki left for the magic academy.

And I'm pretty sure they haven't finished their first year there, yet.

Dex-chan lover
I never understood when people say this. IRL almost 70% of married people end up divorcing in less than 8 year, so at which point people started to think that non arranged marriage where bad?
Most people who marry someone they think they love end up unhappy and end up with a broken family, on the other hand people who have an arranged marriage will most of the time stay together and build their family normaly.

It's like people are against political marriage for no reason.
I'm not saying that it's impossible for people in political marriages to be happy. It's just that the chance of it being unhappy and/or unhealthy is pretty high. And I never said anything about non-political marriages will make people happy. Marriage is a big thing after all. A huge commitment that a person needs to be ready for.
There will always be hardships in any marriage, unless the couple is really lucky.
That said, political marriages is a lot more likely to end poorly, because it ignores the feelings on both sides. Even if one side loves the other, if the other doesn't, the chance of it ending poorly becomes very likely.

Also, I'm talking about manga political marriages. Which 99% of the time, ends badly.

Dex-chan lover
Hell yeah! Some Martha spotlight :win:
Yay Martha chapter! She's best girl! And I'm assuming she still calls herself Martha.

Same. Honestly I'm still disappointed that they made Alice = princess. I prefer the initial hints where Alice was the princess's ageless grandma.

So, I prefer Martha's chapter or even Odette's chapter.
I agree. I started losing hope on all that when they focused a lot on Alice, not that I dislike her but... I vastly prefer Martha (or even Odette), and this chapter gave me some hope. Please give Martha some more love, writer, make it a harem! Please :meguuusad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread