Houkago Kitaku Biyori - Ch. 26 - Let's Start Something New

Dex-chan lover
this is great.
this manga gets that men "do" while women "are," and men like watching women be, and women like watching men do.
this manga also gets that the entire fucking appeal of girls that seem somehow unattainable is that you actually attain them in the end.
great power dynamic. boys that act like boys and girls that act like girls, in 2024.
nagatoro manga teased at this shit but failed to quite achieve it
Oh I just know you're a weirdo

Supporter
these characters come off so naturally precisely because they are following sex behavior patterns that everyone knows are very natural, even though many people deny it verbally.

reverse the sexes in this manga, but keep the behavior the same, and it'd be really unnatural. anybody should be able to recognize that. yet it's become very common to write characters inverted that way.
This is just nonsense.
Reverting the sex of the character would perfectly work, just as if they were both boys or both girls.
What makes their relationship seems natural has nothing to do with their sex but all with their personality : one has a calm, reserved type of character, the other is also calm but slightly goofy and has some autistic aspects.
What makes it natural in this manga is the absence of useless drama, love polygon, harem and all the crap that so often take place in romance mangas.

Supporter
Today's battle: SHUN'S ABSOLUTE VICTORY
Good comparison, even if it's not spot-on (imo, this one is warm buttery vanilla and Kaguya-sama was twisted vanilla). 😌(y)

The only comparison you can really make to KanoKari... is that they both have scenes where MMC is good with kids and it makes FMC fall for them. But if you compare it to karaoke: Hokayori's performance of that "song" just now was seiyuu-class, while KanoKari's performance was akin to Shirogane's first attempts to rap in Kaguya-sama. 😂
https://mangadex.org/chapter/501cedb7-f927-4686-95c5-df55a1ad95c7/3

Double-page supporter
"Start something new"
I thought they were finally dating 😭
But hey at least Shun being honest about his feelings and I think Chokki finally realized her feelings to Shun???
PEAK FICTION :win:

21PIHYEPIO21HEG0PI12HE2IOU1 POUND THIS SHIT INTO POWDER AND LET ME SNORT IT LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's hard to believe that this isn't popular in Japan. I think it's important to support it by buying the books so that it can continue to be serialized for a long time

Dex-chan lover
these characters come off so naturally precisely because they are following sex behavior patterns that everyone knows are very natural, even though many people deny it verbally.

reverse the sexes in this manga, but keep the behavior the same, and it'd be really unnatural. anybody should be able to recognize that. yet it's become very common to write characters inverted that way.
Are you seriously showing up to this cute as hell, innocent manga, and spewing some thinly-disguised queerphobic bullshit?

That attitude is not welcome.

Dex-chan lover
Shun sees through this and turns it around, he's basically going 'Stop tryharding the big sis role, you're completely wrong about me, I'm no more happy playing than when I'm spending time with you. On the other hand I know all about you, you're gonna feel lonely without me'. That was 100% intentional and confident, he knows what he's doing, and he got the point across. Naoki's flustered because she realized he's spot on, she's attracted to him and Shun more or less knows.
This isn't actually what I was referring to. Nor what I believe the original commenter was referring to.

Yes, he is clearly confident in his understanding of her as a person, but his brief moment of annoyance, then his building up to and then not being able to commit to what he actually wanted to say, both contribute to the moment not feeling "smooth" to me at all. Which I think is in character.

He did express himself clearly, but subtextually, he had something else to tell her that he wasn't confident enough to say outright, and he couldn't keep his emotions in check well enough to calmly reassure her.

Both of those things would take confidence in himself and their relationship that he doesn't have. Not confidence in his understanding of her, which is what he displays

Last edited:
Supporter
Japanese is weird; the phrase
"you would be bored without me anyways" and
"I like you and am waiting for you to realise that you like me back"
are spelled with mostly different letters, but the pronunciation is actually the same.
wait is this fr
short: no.
long: heck the eff no.
actual: it's a bit tongue in cheek w/ language differences (japanese can be quite difficult due to the same spoken words being able to spelt quite differently, which is why it's quite common for verbal introductions to include a spelling. Add to this how he seems quite aware of his feelings recently, whereas Chokki was not, well…

Users who are viewing this thread