How Do We Relationship?

Amazing dialogue writing/translation!
I don't know what will happen in the future, but I think anyway it'll likely be written will make sense to me, and it'll be satisfying. Both lead characters "speak to me" so much; it's hard to express my appreciation without using the cliched phrases, but they're cliched for a reason. I hope they end up happy—or at least ok— in the end.

@Msaid08 yeah this is almost purely drama. I wanted to read a nice story without drama because I can't handle dramas really well right now, so fck my life I guess? I won't drop it now because it's a good written story and I want to see how it continues, but I feel really down now.
I think I will start reading Hino-san no Baka. From the comments it seems like just wholesome yuri.

Aggregator gang
@TopDev1 Hino-san no baka is really a cute story without a romance development tho. But I recommend it. I can't handle drama either so that's why Im running away when I see drama. If you want any other solid romance recomments just dm me or answer my comment.

I'm almost caught up with this series and I have to say that I've been enjoying it so far. This is the only romantic comedy I've read which is actually funny, so props to the mangaka for that.

That being said, I can't be the only one who's tired of the innocent/sentimental and experienced/lustful dynamic in yuri and yaoi manga. I know it caters to the two main demographics that read manga like this, but it's such a shame that a story with complex characters is built on the foundation of something which is so overplayed. The amount of drama is also pretty frustrating to me, even if I appreciate what it's trying to accomplish.

One last thing which I can't understand is why the pre-serialisation story is considered to be the absolute worst way this manga could conclude. The entire conflict between Saeko and Miwa is that the two got together because they were gay, not because they had carefully considered what they both wanted out of a relationship. The two breaking up seems like the more realistic and reasonable conclusion at this point, especially when considering how difficult it has been for the both of them.

I've seen people praising this manga as 'realistic,' and I just... don't see it. Sure, there are some aspects that I can relate to and others that I think do apply in real life, but on the whole, this manga hits all the same tropes as many other yuri mangas. My biggest issue is that I want to like it. I really do. But twenty-six chapters in, and I'm still unsure whether I'm enjoying this. When it does happen, the comedy is relatively on point, and there are some genuinely funny moments. On the other hand, the drama... isn't compelling, and though this is labeled as a comedy, it is more akin to a drama with comedic elements. Rather than having me on the edge of my seat waiting for what happens next, I find myself frustrated, wondering when these two are just going to fucking talk to teach other.

Spoilers below the break

This manga plays with a lot of mature themes, but those rarely extend beyond the sexual. Saeko is an entirely unlikeable, if somewhat relatable character, and with the introduction of someone who genuinely loves Miwa and whom she seems to love in return, I can't, in good faith, say I'm rooting for their relationship any longer. Miwa has been clueless to a fault in order to facilitate Saeko's character development, and at this point, it's becoming incredibly frustrating. Saeko has, on several occasions, recognized that she needs to talk to Miwa. And on every occasion, rather than speak to her, she just... externalizes those feelings in an overtly obvious way — that then get ignored for no discernable reason.

You could make the argument that Miwa is a habitual people-pleaser, and while I can agree with that to some extent, at this point, it's just getting to be a bit silly. What was the point of that entire arc she had if she's going to... continue just to let Saeko push her around? In twenty-six chapters, the only characters who have gone through a real, tangible arc are two of the side characters. Which, don't get me wrong; many of the problems Saeko goes through are incredibly relatable. In particular, the comphet she experiences in highschool rings waaaaaaaaay close to home with me. Her trauma regarding the bullying she received for her sexuality also hits a few notes that made me think back to when I was in high school. And on a similar note, I empathize with Miwa and her struggles to stick up for herself. They have very relatable and realistically depicted issues — to a point. As of the latest translated chapter, they are four, possibly five months into their relationship and have yet to have a serious conversation about their interpersonal issues. That, combined with their individual recognition of the need to talk, makes the drama feel forced and manufactured.

Which brings me to the most significant issue. Saeko is just... not a good partner for Miwa. At all. They could have chemistry, but the author's unwillingness to have them communicate about literally any of their issues instills the notion that they are diametrically terrible for one another romantically. And sexually. They don't even have real sexual chemistry beyond an ability to turn one another on. Miwa has demonstrated a clear and vocal desire to top, and, on the opposite end, Saeko seems like she wants to bottom. Yes, her trauma makes it impossible for her to enjoy that (currently), but it also robs Miwa of the chance to effectively top her since Saeko is not giving the input that she clearly states Miwa needs to listen to. A one-sided sexual relationship does not mean they have chemistry.

tl;dr This manga could be great, I want it to be great, but it fails to do much of anything with the themes it's presenting. They have so much potential to be great partners for one another, but they fail at every possible turn.

On a side note, I remember seeing someone mentioning that this manga is why you don't see wlw relationships progress past the courting phase. To which I disagree. Wholeheartedly. The biggest reason you don't see many relationships, straight or gay, progress past that phase is because most authors don't know how to write compelling stories past that point.

Fed-Kun's army
ill be fine if they will not end up together or theyll separate for a period of time... their relationship will really make you question what,why and how...
and upon the introduction of Shiho, i prefer her for Miwa afterall...

Fed-Kun's army
Hope SAD doesn’t try to take this series over again if another group decides to start translating it😕

Double-page supporter
honestly, this manga roped me in pretty good, but...it's been, well, FRUSTRATING to go on reading the main relationship due to the overall lack of communication and chemistry btw them, i like the sides tho

Fed-Kun's army
@raptearer the raws go into like chapter 40+. Scan team just dropped it probably. Which is annoying because another team started translating this about 4 months ago, then SAD immediately started translating it again for no reason. They do this all the time

@Believelt Man that sucks, was really enjoying this, but I can't read Japanese :/ . Guess its time to start learning

Dex-chan lover
Did the scan team drop this? II kinda cheated and tried to read some of the raws (my Japanese isn't the best) and its goes up to 40 plus chapters. I guess I will have to wait until official releases😪 ( already purchesed the first book)

@ygizbeez The scan team is pretty inconsistent with their uploads regardless of the series. They just had a month-long gap between uploads and they've only made four uploads since the last chapter of this, so it's likely they'll continue this, whether the next chapter is uploaded a week from now or months from now.

I'd be upset about the other group not continuing with it if I didn't think that SAD's translation was way more entertaining

Users who are viewing this thread