How do you all go about deciding your waifus and/or husbandos?

I was checking out a video from one of the people I follow on youtube, and he was doing a waifu tier list as a fun Valentines Day video. I have not finish watching the whole video, but from what I saw I thought his approach was different to say the least but it got me thinking, how do people go about choosing the characters they really like? From my observation it seems that many base their decisions on looks, but I have seen cases in which some would base their decisions on more then just looks. I am curious to know how you all go about it if you are into this sort of thing. Oh and one more thing, when you are choosing waifu or husbando does it matter whether the character is already dating or married? I notice int he video one of the characters he added to the tier list was already married.

Here is the video by the way that I was watching. link

Not gonna lie. Looks is the first criteria.

And then behaviour and background story I guess?

Btw I like those crazy twin in Black Lagoon and Lucy in Elfen Lied. Someone that you would never met in real life.

@May_Lily
I would say that i'm 50/50 on personality vs looks.
There are certain behaviours and character tropes that make a perfect waifu at least in my opinion.
My list would look totally different then this video. 90% of all characters in this tier list would end up in No or Wholesome tier if it was made by me.

Fed-Kun's army
It's all decided by fate. Can't say much since I only have one person that I would call waifu. Found μ's around 8 years ago and now I'm still trapped in this school idol hell spending most of my money for Nishikino Maki.

For whether it's okay to take character that have crush/date/married, I want to say no but case like Nisekoi's Tachibana Marika legendary fan Y-san that keep supporting her till he somehow rise his marriage flag on the manga make me think otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
Looks, personality, and plot.

I like Onodera because I actually prefer flat

I like Miku because of all the five quints, I relate to her the most.

I like Rem because Subaru doesn't
GOSH DANG IT SUBARU
Code:
GIVE REM YOUR LOVE. [HEADING=2]DO IT YOU JAPANESE CAR

Dex-chan lover
Whether they can stand on their own two feet or support someone else (their partner= not me) and how well adjusted would they be in real life. Not their anatomy but simply personality

Loads of characters are there for fanservice and give a suitable yet bad name to 2D. No personality or ability to survive in their world without the mc or supporting cast let alone in the real world.

Looks are kind of second thought in anime cause none of them look bad (they are a commerical product) even the ones that purposely look bad will be Moe-fy by fan artists.

Examples
Yakumo from school rumble
Hinagiku from hayate combat butler
Nanami from pet girl of sakurasou

Added bonus: These types of girls are never chosen by mc for some dumb reason.

@LowSanity
My list would look totally different then this video. 90% of all characters in this tier list would end up in No or Wholesome tier if it was made by me.

I see. If it was me I would just list my top favorite female characters and follow it up with a list of female characters I find to look attractive, but are not as attractive in terms of their personality.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

@421cookies
Foundμ's around 8 years ago

What is μ's?

For whether it's okay to take character that have crush/date/married, I want to say no but case like Nisekoi's Tachibana Marika legendary fan Y-san that keep supporting her till he somehow rise his marriage flag on the manga make me think otherwise.

I would say that is a special case there.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I like Onodera because I actually prefer flat

What do you mean by "flat"?

@Teddy
Looks are kind of second thought in anime cause none of them look bad (they are a commerical product) even the ones that purposely look bad will be Moe-fy by fan artists.

I do not know I would count that since fan art is not official. Plus I have seen people make themselves appear more attractive then they actually are when they are doing anime self portraits.

Examples
Yakumo from school rumble
Hinagiku from hayate combat butler
Nanami from pet girl of sakurasou

Added bonus: These types of girls are never chosen by mc for some dumb reason.

So I take it these young women you listed as examples are the kind that would make for good bachelorettes, yet the protagonist never chooses those types of women? Hmm. . . I have not read or watch enough of romance starring a male protagonist or harem to pick out a reason as to why or if it's really a problem.

Fed-Kun's army
Personality and experience. Who do I care about the most? Who would I give anything to see one more time if she were to die tomorrow? If I could meet just one person at the end of the world, who would it be? Most of my "waifus" I'd never want as wives, but rather close friends or sisters.

Examples:
Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
Aiko (Oyasumi Punpun)
Emanon (Memories of Emanon/Wandering Emanon)
Meiko (Solanin)
Alice (Pandora Hearts)
Kanna Endo (20th Century Boys)

^ I never heard of such a perspective on waifus such as yours, Nick. That is so endearing.

Dex-chan lover
I treat it entirely as a meme.

Granted, if most of the people I say are my "waifus" were real, I'd at least try to befriend them, but because they're not, I treat them as a joke.

I don't get too invested, though. I just like the characters.

Dex-chan lover
how do people go about choosing the characters they really like?
There's your problem: a waifu isn't something you're really supposed to consciously choose from a list, as much as something that just kind of clicks naturally while watching/reading and sticks well after that. That's part of the fun of it. The fact the concept's been reduced to "favorite female character", often even as much as "favorite girl from a series" kinda dumbs the thing down (lol) and misses the point. It's an obsession, not something everyone's supposed to have.

Whinging over semantics and your waifu being wrong aside, I think there's something to be said about execution as well as the obvious looks + personality combo when it comes to female characters I like. Both in how well the author can capitalize on the aspects I already like and how well they can sell me on traits I didn't know I liked until now

Some aspects are just going to instantly appeal to me (like "is earnest about who/what they like", "good with kids" or "tall and has nice legs/breasts"). But I quite like it when an author surprises me and gets me thinking things like "Well, now that you bring it up like that, I guess having a girl gently help you vomit does sound pretty arousing. Akari best girl!"

Dex-chan lover
@pantsman
There's your problem: a waifu isn't something you're really supposed to consciously choose from a list, as much as something that just kind of clicks naturally while watching/reading and sticks well after that. That's part of the fun of it. The fact the concept's been reduced to "favorite female character", often even as much as "favorite girl from a series" kinda dumbs the thing down (lol) and misses the point. It's an obsession, not something everyone's supposed to have.

This sounds an awful lot like the LGBT argument.

Dex-chan lover
I actually wasn't sure what a Waifu/Husbando was until this. I pretty much could guess from the name alone, but didn't know 100%. That said, I don't think I've ever felt that strongly for a character before. Is having a Waifu/husbando a common thing, and I'm just strange?

Fed-Kun's army
@May_Lily
What is μ's?
Goddess of School Idol

I would say that is a special case there.
Yeah, I really respect his dedication and how the officials accepted that feeling. I mean, things like buying one tonne worth of magazines and filling out all those vote letters by hand isn't something that one can do without certain amount of love. He might as well be the standard for those who really deserves to have character as waifu rationally speaking.

Dex-chan lover
There's no trick to it,
you either like it or don't;
be free my comrades!
ru6fts6vt2z31.png

Dex-chan lover
There's no trick or anything, you just have your preferences and then you find a certain qt and it just clicks.
Mine's my profile image, for the record.

@Greenfrost
I actually wasn't sure what a Waifu/Husbando was until this. I pretty much could guess from the name alone, but didn't know 100%. That said, I don't think I've ever felt that strongly for a character before. Is having a Waifu/husbando a common thing, and I'm just strange?

If you would like to learn more on this topic you can read this post from a blog I follow that generally focuses on Japanese and otaku culture. It's well researched and he does a good job explaining the subject matter: link

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I meant breasts lol. I'm one of the rare few whose type of girl is actually A to C cup, more or less.

So that is what you mean. I thought it was the case, but I was not entirely sure.

@421cookies
Goddess of School Idol

I see. I have been wanting to check out the anime the game is base on.

He might as well be the standard for those who really deserves to have character as waifu rationally speaking.

I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread