How to Fight - Vol. 1 Ch. 64 - I should have killed him

Power Uploader
@Legion_01 I think that back when she was ill, she couldn't even do this kind of thing because she was bedridden. It was cancer, probably leukemia since it was solved with a transplantation (bone marrow, probably).

I also have the impression she knows her son is being beaten up to make money, even if she isn't telling him she knows. I think she must be feeling a failure as a parent, and to some East Asian parents there might be an added cultural burden to it. She probably wants to provide a source of income her son can fall back on in case, as she put it in chapter 49, he fails to deliver content and loses his NewTube income. I think the author is using this whole situation to depict the life of people who live on this kind of entertainment production.

Also, the debt isn't cleared yet, he said so, also in chapter 49. So this probably means Hobin and his mother don't have any financial buffer at the moment. So in his mother's mind, every penny counts. She's probably even thinking to tell her son to quit working as soon as the debt is paid so he can focus on his studies.

The reason she left her job might be a combination of health and income. She was told by the doctor she should be resting at home, not working in a factory. So she probably went for a job that pays better and doesn't involve physical work.

Finally, it's not a one-time thing and that's what makes this chapter so horrible. She was hired by Seong Joon. Three million per month. So what must be driving Hobin crazy is that they're going to put her through all sorts of crazy, degrading stunts and shaving her head live on camera was just the beginning. It's a stable job, or as stable as Hobin's income, but the humiliation will be stable, too. In fact, yesterday I speculated in our group's Discord that Seong Joon might even have included an absurd contract severance fee to keep Hobin's mother shackled to the XJ company.

To summarise: I don't think she was an idiot at all. In her mind, she's replacing a job that could compromise her health for one that pays better and doesn't involve heavy labour. All to secure extra income to help her son to go back to just studying and fulfil her role as a mother.

@Kendama

It was cancer, probably leukemia since it was solved with a transplantation (bone marrow, probably).

It was something with the kidneys, she was on dialysis (ch. 26 p. 9)

Dude, you need to be appointed cultural ambassador for promoting Korean culture, making people want to learn the language, and stuff
(and then have the title revoked, because with great translations people don't have to learn Korean after all)

That said, y'all need Jesus. I mean, a bible. By my count, this is the fourth romanization the asshole got:
Seong Jun in 34 and 35,
Seongjun in 36. 40, 44 and 45
Sung Joon in 46, 47, 48, 49, and 63
and Seong Joon just now in 64.

@Kendama : thanks for your input. It does her appear less moronic, but only to some extent. I mean, the son will see her being shaved, will probably hear about all the stuff she does from his own classmates. Sure, she has a lot of guts but at the same time, she is putting him against a wall and likely destroying his social life. She should have talked with him first, because this kind of job will hurt hobin also on an emotional level, making him feel like a burden to his mother. Just my 2 cents.

Power Uploader
@Saifen Some kinds of cancer may affect the kidney, either through a paraneoplastic syndrome, or in the case of leukemias, if the cancer cells produce something that overwhelms the kidneys. Kidney damage may also happen as a consequence of chemotherapy. In any case, you may be right, the author hasn't been very consistent about her illness, it was referred to as cancer in the early chapters. Either way, being a kidney transplant recipient is an even stronger reason to leave a factory job, and the same logic I outlined applies.

(The Romanisation mess has to do with our not keeping a table of standardised Romanisations and Seongjoon's appearances being more sporadic in the beginning, and also to changes in the translator. I'll probably tell the TLors to stick to one.)

@Legion_01 Social life damage may be less than we think, in her mind at least. Even if both become NewTube celebrities, so long as they don't spill the beans, nobody's gonna know they're mother and son. And things may get even more awkward if she tells him something like "Oh, I wanted to change my hairstyle" and pass it off with such a blatant lie, which is after all similar to his own "I never get into fights" back in chapter 1. They could both go into reciprocal denials where one doesn't tell the other what they're doing even if they know. In fact, if the mother knows about him, she might feel she has the right to do the same thing and not tell, just as he is doing with her. Both will suffer from seeing the other in crazy situations in livestreams, and yet be unable to come clean to each other. Pretty messy set-up, if you ask me.

i think hobin's mother signed a contract because a monthly salary was mentioned and there's definitely so much more than just shaving her hair. I HOPE hobin's mother read the contract THOROUGHLY and thought about it first or talked to her son. yes, being a loving mother is admirable but being naive and ignorant? i dont think so.

Dex-chan lover
Bruh, her son is making a lot of money, going to school like he always did, looking healthier due to all the exercise AND happier too due to a higher confidence/friends/not being bullied anymore, so what is she doing? Even if he didn't find out about that channel all she would have achieved with that is making him feel extremely worried.

I want to feel bad for her but at this point I think the author will just keep using her for drama over and over again in the future and nothing else.

ngl i'm a bit annoyed with the mom because it was completely unnecessary for her to do this. she should've at least talked to him about it before

I love that we're only a chapter behind the RAWs. APPRECIATE DEATH TOLL SCANS!!
on another note, I cannot wait for hobin to go beat bbakgo's a$s rn

Power Uploader
@hafizach We're not one chapter behind, we're perfectly caught up with the raws, have been for a while now.

Double-page supporter
pPsyKkq.jpg
lT19GX2.jpg
c2XsIWz.jpg

JjgIwg1.jpg

du4bpmt.jpg

The boss of XJ is so indirect in his way of talking, it doesn't even feel threatening, just a nuisance ( ノ` 皿´)ノ

Users who are viewing this thread