Humans are the Strongest Race ~Starting a Slow Life with an Elf Wife in a Different World~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 21

Dex-chan lover
Wew finally a true nobleman, hope he take little bearfolk girl home and lewd her. The only problem is the stupid human nearby, he might get jealous and get in the way.

Dex-chan lover
Couldn't even try to bankrupt her so that she'll have to be his slave

nope, just said it right then and there.

oh fucking hell man you are the strongest man and only human in the world can you just fucking do something for once

Fed-Kun's army
Literal mustache twirling bad guy. Now he just needs a top hat and to tie a woman to some train tracks.

Author-san... I am proud of you.

*reads more and sees shitty royal nobleman act shitty*
damn tropes!!

Dex-chan lover
Jeez, everyone wondering if power sticks aroind, your question WILL be answered next chapter, so chill.

@thehawk2210 you can't expect that on a Japanese based story man. Japanese plotlines tend to prefer slow-paced and clueless characters in this type of manga. Besides, that kind of MC is made exclusively for the local Japanese market of many Japanese people who have the same characteristics as the main character. Mangas are made mostly for-profit and make plots and characters based on the target market.

This literally made my nerve pop when I saw that audacious fat noble. I would never give mercy to a person like that noble, he had relished to many times on the innocence of the young maiden far too much. I sentence him to years of torture for death is just a means of escape!

Dex-chan lover
How are people considering it a trope? We have scientific studies that show that people born into money are more likely to be sociopaths and not view others as 'real people' unless they hold similar status, or visibly show similar wealth. In which case, it can be something like looking at an enemy, or a tool. The more money born into, the less human. If the majority of your nobles in your fantasy world are morally outstanding, just, good people, then chances are you have no concept of the idea of what it takes to GAIN and MAINTAIN power. Those who are black of heart and clever in their underhanded methods stand more chance of causing the 'good nobles' to fall or die, and replace them with themselves and those like them in their inner circle.

This is why so many stories have the audaciously evil, corrupt nobility. Because the longer an institution is around, especially one that has become 'necessary', the more corruption spreads through it. Because it doesn't make much sense otherwise!

Dex-chan lover
wait....why does this shitty noble looked like a human? and i wonder if he'll touch the moon if MC punches him. reckon he might get gibbed from the get-go

the laws in isekai is very loose, so why not kill jeck-fat-face right then and there

Dex-chan lover
@Wolvenworks - there appears to be a lot of noblemen who are newmen (race closest to humans) like that Rose the yuri knight. Well, there are a lot of these newmen, so it's fine to kick one out and have him orbit the planet to replace the destroyed moon.

@Kayriel - I have my doubts about how good that science is. Not just because it's psychology (and psychology has been shown to be quite bogus science), but people as dumb as you describe tend to get caught and eliminated.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan

All science is 'bogus'. Science is just the study of how we perceive and replicate events and structures both in their naturally-occurring state and in a relative vacuum of controlled variables. People harping on it like it's the absolute truth are practically just scientific religious-zealots. But, that also means that until we get better information, it's as good as true until then. Neither here nor there, though.

That said, no. There's too many examples to choose from where that's not the case in real life, but that'll start a severely off-topic argument I don't feel like having right now - I'm fairly hangry, after all.

But for settings like this, where we have actual nobility, that's definitely not the case simply because who's going to 'catch and eliminate' them? As I stated, they make themselves necessary before they get complacent and just get obvious with their corruption, because it's a thrill at that point - no one can touch them, they've proven it hundreds, if not thousands of times before we ever get to their oily hides on-screen. Their only superior tends to be an autocrat, a wielder of technically absolute power who MUST defend them if he doesn't want to destabilize his power structure and thus the kingdom/nation, causing untold social and criminal issues, and a great deal of death from all sorts of factors.

As I also stated they tend to come up as a bunch of fellow jackasses. Either allied noble families, or those who've been pressganged by the intrapolitical climate, or a House who owes too many favors - down to sponsored Houses who can't let their benefactor be fucked over. You don't get obvious and stupid without making sure that all anyone can do is just grit their teeth and cry while you do whatever you like to them. In many settings, and many times in real life, the supporting nobility held power second only to the monarch - or sadly enough, in excess when speaking practically. Landed nobles were essentially lesser kings who paid tribute and servitude to the greater king of the whole nation. A single king can't rule a large amount of land and people by himself, after all - so the nobility were those who ruled in his stead outside of his reach from the Throne. Which means the Crown literally relies on them and needs them. Quickest way to subvert that is to eliminate all competitors who aren't going to play the game your way, and now you present a unified front against the Crown and can easily pressure it to do what they like or else... well, it's not going to be pretty.

I doubt that'll factor heavily into what's about to come up, but keeping this in mind, it makes perfect sense. After all, he's doing this in broad daylight and all anyone can say is 'we can never go against him'. He himself, is obviously in no way a threat. So what are they afraid of? His levies? His bannermen? No, because if he used his forces to attack people just because, that would call down the wrath of other nobles and the Crown itself. Ergo the only reason a noble can be so utterly terrifying is if there's nothing the other Houses or the Crown can do about it, or if they're in cahootz. This isn't some border town, after all, it's the capitol. If the king and other nobles were powerful and just and wanted this guy gone, he would simply be gone. But he's not, he's about to kidnap a girl and rape her if not stopped. Just one in a long, long line. So clearly someone has his back, and going against him is the same as going against someone much bigger than him.

So I don't see the 'corrupt noble' in fiction as a trope or something to be decried. It makes sense. Finding an abundance of good-hearted, just, and fair nobles in fiction is typically only done when it's the 'good nobles' vs 'the bad nobles', or else it's just a total wash and reeks of wankery.

Dex-chan lover
@Kayriel You make very good points. But it is still a trope. A trope is just a theme used in tons of media. It being based on truth or lie has no bearing on it, it's still a common motif.

Just because something is cliche or used to much, doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't be used. More so if it's something that most likely to happen or realisticaly may happen a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread