I Shall Survive Using Potions! - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

It never ceases to amaze me how fundamentally people misunderstand war crimes, especially relating to bio and chem weapons. On one level they cause needless suffering and are really not that effective compared to more conventional arms, they are mostly terror weapons. On a more important note they tend to cause incredible collateral damage to civilians.

While ages past were brutal they still had some codes regarding war in most areas of the world, for example a town under siege that gives up in reasonsble time could expect better treatment, but if the attacker had to storm the walls then all bets were off and said town could expect a good sacking. Doing the latter to a town that did the former would be frowned upon in a lot of places in a lot of periods. Point is while ages past might not have had the Geneva convention, most "civilized" societies still tended to have some codes and norms about this.

Ultimately these "laws" are important because otherwise we get a race to the bottom, see WWI. Posioning drinking water to make people sick, especially whencivvies can be affected is a bad idea because what if both sides start escalating? Misery ensues, as our own history proves plenty. Most people that even casually study history should understand this.

I am amused.
Need to include pseudo-war-crimes into my isekai too.

Dex-chan lover
Well this was fun. I like myself a good isekai war horror.

I don't really empathize with Karou a lot, but showing warmongers a lesson that can't be forgotten makes sense to me.

Dex-chan lover
@pen3
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman

Should've just poisoned them directly, you already killed off their logistics team and supplies, do it in cleanly, as you said

Dex-chan lover
I agree that she'd get hit by Article 6, but unless I'm not reading it correctly, Article 54 is mainly a prohibition against civilian attack using poisoned provisions…? And Kaoru evacuated all civilians beforehand, so everyone receiving the attack are combatants.

Do correct me on this though.

If you reduce the threshold at which something explodes, you make it more dangerous, not less!

Dex-chan lover
She actually let the fucking kids come im gonna have an aneurysm
...what part of any effect does she not understand
You can have ANYTHING and you go with bombs? yikes
And you just make a poison that causes vomiting? ANY EFFECT GIRL MAKE A POTION THAT MAKES THEM SLEEP FOR A WEEK or a potion that just makes them super fucking thirsty

This isnt clever use of her ability this is her being too stupid and overcomplicating everything

@alfirizkyr Since you asked, I will correct you, Article 54 prohibits any action that destroys infrastructure necessary for a civilian population to survive in the area. The idea is that you don't want armies rendering areas wholly unlivable for years after hostilities have long ceased. By poisoning the well, she is definitely violating it. The wells are necessary for civilians to live in the area and she's gone and poisoned them, rendering them unusable. Of course, the Geneva Conventions aren't written with magical potions in mind, so she'd have committed a war crime even if she goes and fixes it later.

Dex-chan lover
Only the Soviet Bloc nations, and a couple Latin American countries signed on Protocol II (and they  all promptly ignored it), so she's probably safe from The Hauge.

Japan and the USA never signed off on that BS.

(The Soviets were afraid of having cities under siege, so they tried to make it "illegal" to besiege their cities... and then besieged a bunch of cities, doing all the things they said nobody was allowed to do)

She should just genocide those motherf*ckers...

Poisoning the wells is a well known method to stop invaders.
The wanted poster and Geneva convention... 🤣

Dex-chan lover
Funny story...

Article II and the Additional Protocols to the Geneva Convention were never signed by the USA, Japan, nor most of NATO; they were put forward by the USSR, and rejected by almost every signatory.

While the USSR was demanding that everybody sign them, they were themselves violating the same "Protocols" in multiple nations; they only invented them as a way to remove tools and weapons from their "enemies" (i.e.: everybody who wasn't Russia), and never had any intention to follow them.

As most countries never signed them, they are not considered "war crimes" anywhere, except in what is now known as the "Russian Federation," and they constantly accuse other countries of "war crimes" within their own borders, and at the UN. I mean, they tried to claim that having nuclear weapons is a war crime... While Making Them!

If it weren't for the fact that groups like AP and Reuters make money off of people jumping to conclusions, this whole business wouldn't have mattered.... but it also wouldn't be as funny! 😅😂

But we should always remember that 50% of "war crimes" are just made up bullshit... and, yanno, the other 50% are terrible...

Just remember:
It's never a war crime, the first time!

Users who are viewing this thread