I Shaved. Then I Brought a High School Girl Home. - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Barbecue and the Crush

Dex-chan lover
@Criver I doubt it was only partly due to emotions. Notice how she acted immediatly after seeing him close together with the junior and pouting. She wanted to make sure yes but it seemed like it was more out of jealousy. The way I see it seems she feels entitled that the MC's affection remain for her despite already rejecting him. I would agree it was unwise of him to tell her everything but to be honest refusing to answer would be kind of suspicious and would bring more misunderstandings in that case. From an outside prospective yes refusing the invitation proabably would have been the best course of action which he kind of thought about but lingering feelings and what not. Both characters have their moments of immaturity which I think is fine, there's no such thing as a purely mature person anyways.

@Ryrie plus she's his superior. I'm not sure what Japanese culture dictates, but refusing an invitation by a superior might be a big faux pas. I have to wonder who set up the original date too. Was it her or him. I think in most business around the world dating a direct superior, or underling is frowned upon, if not forbidden. It's possible he didn't say anything for 5 years because it wasn't his place as her underling to do that. It's possible she asked him on the first date and after he got drunk, he took the initiative to see if the relationship could go further.

She has the power in the relationship, not only by knowing that he covets her, but also as his superior at work.

Double-page supporter
His friend got rejected by his future wife five times and they still wound up hooked up?

That guy is determined...

Double-page supporter
Fuck this "catch me" game. Either say yes or fuck off. If he ain't mature enough and you don't wanna put in the effort to fix that shit, move on. If he ain't mature enough and you are willing to put in the effort, say yes and fix that shit. Don't play this "I'm going to reject you 12 times until I'm sufficiently convinced you'll lick my feet at my beck and call." shit.

@TheAmokz
So what you're telling me is I'm going to hate every fucking chapter from this point until the end, and will have an intense desire to skin the protagonist alive with a dulled side of a grapefruit spoon? What the fuck did I just commit myself to reading...

@Xx_Itz_Jamez_xX
Protip, type the word "move" after the "re" in any reddit URL and you can read any comments provided the weren't deleted with the first few minutes of posting. You can also change the "r" into a "c" among many other alternatives. The GUI is often shit but it functions. In this case it'd be https://www.removeddit.com/r/manga/...en_i_brought_a_high_school_girl_home/ehht1bg/

Seriously? When she asked if you were going out with his kouhai why didnt he ask "Why do you care if I am?" That wouldve been a great power move! OR if he just said "maybe I am!" Keep her on her toes! He done lost now.

Dex-chan lover
I think its worse when girls say they don't have a bf and then show up with one. But yeah fuck I cups, the intern is cuter and so is the jail bait.

Dex-chan lover
If you want udders, marry a cow. Huge tits seem impressive, but just keep in mind what they'll look and feel like decades later - especially after having kids.
Both the intern and the jailbait are better options.

Dex-chan lover
@TheAmokz
Oh for fuck's sake... But I'm actually glad I read that spoiler. Dropping this.
Holy fucking shit, the author had a good thing going here with a nice fluffy love story with some comedy. And the author decided to seemingly murder it, take a steaming shit on the corpse and then hump it for more volume sales (and no doubt at the behest of their editor/publisher urging them to). God damn it...

I am Soshite Joshikosei Wo Hirou's author. I ruin otherwise good love stories with bullshit.

Dex-chan lover
@Ryrie I am saying partly, because from their convo it is clear it's not only that, I think you are oversimplifying it, it's more complex than just jealousy. After all she rejected him, so it's not like she's head over heels for him. It's also pretty obvious she wants to keep him on a leash and him being in a relationship will ruin these plans. She's well aware that if he were to start a relationship with somebody the chances of him remaining that desperate for her are slim, the other reason is obviously to confirm his 'loyalty' to her. There's also the part where it is flattering for her to have men running after her - boosts her self confidence and reaffirms her societal value. And from her position and social perceived 'value' she's certainly used to men running after her. I would agree that she probably feels entitled to his affection even if she's not showing it too explicitly, however the MC confirms that she's right to feel so. He didn't have to refuse to answer, that would have been equally as stupid unless he planned to cut all ties with her. He could have simply left out the less flattering parts. As it stands he told her that he has no self respect, no self confidence, and no spine, so not only is he giving her the green light to lead him by the nose, but this is also counterproductive to his goal of starting a relationship with her. So not only is he pathetic, but he's stupid enough to let others know so that they would take advantage of him. Being a harmless idiot is not a plus, as much as manga like to make it out to be.

@HOOfan_1 Reread the chapter if you've already forgotten it. She invited him in a manner where it was clear it's not work (otherwise she wouldn't have had to secretly write messages on her screen and pretend she's talking about something else at work). The fact that he didn't say anything for 5 years, regardless of whether it was because he's an underling, tells her more than enough about his confidence, cowardice, and his conviction. If that is enough to deter him from courting her for 5 years, then it's obvious he's not that hot for her coupled with the fact that he's a wuss. Not a great combination to show off if you want to impress a prospective partner. If he managed to confess only under the influence of alcohol that's even worse from her perspective.

All in all, I really like how the author went about this, regardless of whether it was intentional. Since it's not (entirely) a mental masturbatory plot, and the MC's qualities are actually put into question, something you don't see often in manga.

I honestly hope that nothing comes out of his boss playing with him (although she probably will cause problems when MC decides to not dote her with his attention). And I feel like the intern has a simple crush while Sayu has genuine feelings budding for him. Which is to say that I don't think he should get together with either of the three, as it stands right now.
First of all, he needs to grow a pair. Giving his boss green lights to lead him along just isn't the way to go.
Second, his intern is too obvious, even though he is oblivious. The reason I am against her is her "cute klutz" attitude to get them interacting and what she said this chapter. Sure, they know there wasn't anything more, but especially after knowing that he confessed to his boss, you just don't say that where anyone (especially her) could overhear. That's just asking for misunderstandings.
Thirdly, Sayu. They are good for each-other and will definitely grow from their current arrangement. What I am worried about is what will happen when they realize their own feelings for the other. Because there certainly is something budding there, and the MC is not viewing himself purely as her guardian anymore. He tries his best to leave it at that and I respect that deeply. But it won't stay at that. And even if they do confess, I feel like he will try to push her away, hurting them both. Something has to change in their relationship before that can go smoothly in any direction.

Not mentioning his boss will freak out when he does end up having a girlfriend. Which might happen without him trying to push Sayu away as he might soften up to his trainee. The actual worst case scenario, honestly. If it were his thot boss, Sayu would be hurt but live with it as she was first and the klutz would probably leave the company. Not ideal either, but "choosing" the intern would cause an outrage of the other two. His intern would accept the pure and (honestly) altruistic start with Sayu while thot patrol would have their hands full with his boss. Whom he needs to put down with clear words before the time comes. She just needs to learn that she cannot expect people to always admire her for her body if all she does is keeping them on the line with the occasional tease. The MC needs to learn that too before he enters a relationship with either the intern or Sayu.
Finally, while she is underage I do think that Sayu is the best choice for the MC. After more character development. And maybe two years having passed.

Dex-chan lover
@Nestrior: "while Sayu has genuine feelings budding for him" you are discounting the fact that she's in high school. Her 'genuine feelings' are as shallow as they would get simply off the fact that she lacks life experience. I don't know if you have seen high school students recently but they are fairly naive, and their idea of what constitutes love is pretty shallow. Sure, he can lead her by the nose if he wanted to, but at least he's not doing that (yet).

Dex-chan lover
@Criver Oh no I don't mean her overall plan, I meant just this instance of inviting him. She extended the invite at this time out of jealousy after seeing them being too close together. Plus I think she only wanted to confirm his relationship status for now which is why she asked straight up and frantically continued to ask about it after. Everything else came at MC's own expense albeit perhaps slightly due to alchohol. I do think she planned that aspect but I doubt she expected MC to spill his entire guts out as you can see she genuinely flustered and feels bad about it. The self confidence aspect is there though since you see her feel down comparing herself to the junior which is something Japanese women especially hate. She's calculating yes but I feel you're reading a bit too much into it. Either way this had barely anything to do with your initial claim that lying is mature and have used this time more to continuely berate the MC instead.

Dex-chan lover
@Ryrie
The self confidence aspect is there though since you see her feel down comparing herself to the junior which is something Japanese women especially hate
Well she is human after all, what did you expect? The fact that she's trying to lead him by the nose doesn't mean that she doesn't have feelings or that she's deluded about herself beyond belief. That was never my point, in fact I argued that she's not a narcissist unlike @HOOfan_1, who wanted to make it out to be that she's mentally a child just because he didn't agree with her methods. She's not so far gone that she's deluded herself that MC would play ball whatever she does - after all however pathetic the MC is, she still has to try and have his attention (reread through the chapter - all the nonverbal cues and suggestive behaviour are not unintentional).
Also my initial claim was not that 'lying is mature', it was that in that specific situation it was the mature way for her to get away from the situation without having to tell the MC that she doesn't like him (which is not true either). It's one thing to say "I can't because X", which implies that you could if not X, and another to say "I don't like you". She obviously wanted to get away from the situation where the MC put her on the spot, at the same time she didn't want to ruin entirely her chances with him, so she chose the middle ground. There's nothing wrong with lying in that situation, in fact I'd argue it's a better alternative than both outcomes (at least in this specific situation). As far as berating the MC goes, I am just explaining why things turn out as they do, his characteristics clearly play a big part in that, I can't exactly ignore those can I. Heck the central point of this whole manga is him probably going for an immature child as a romantic partner, which says more than enough. I am convinced that if he acted more assertive and confident (note the word acted), more mature if you will, starting 5 years ago, he would be in a very different situation.

Dex-chan lover
@Criver Oh it's not that I dislike her or anything in fact quite the opposite. I find her character interesting despite not agreeing with her methods. It's just the way you described her made her feel more devious than she is at first and I suppose I did the same in another way so I appologize for that. But I still feel the situation in which she lied to or rather the excuse she gave is poor although it IS a common one. It is one that involves many risk such as finding out boyfriend X doesn't exist and the fact that it acts as a deterrent. The MC put her on the spot but it's not like he directly confessed so she could have refused the invitation while still leaving herself open for their relationship to progress. The method she choose not only strained their relationship but also kind of hurt her chances so if anything she should be upset with her own actions.

Dex-chan lover
@Ryrie You seem to disagree that this was a good course of action. So what reply would you have suggested then?

Users who are viewing this thread