Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Ch. 128 - Thanks for helping my senpai...!!

This has an official translation now, so it's not allowed by mangadex rules :(
You see if they were uploading the official scans or kmanga was a region free service (like mangaplus) that would be the case but is not (for the moment) if that moment ever comes then im sure they would the same thing they do for most shonen jump stuff (that is linking the official scan)

Double-page supporter
@luigiymario2

I'm gonna be honest, this translation was pretty rough to read. Here are some of many things I noticed when compared to the original Japanese:

• Page 4, Nagatoro: "I think my back technique is starting to show a little."
    • The original Japanese, "背中はちょっと見えてきたかな" refers to Nagatoro being able to see Orihara's back, it's not talking about Nagatoro's "back technique". She's saying that she feels herself catching up to where Orihara is in terms of skill and technique.
  • Page 6, Hashimoto: "Hajimoto"
    • The furigana next to his name literally says はしもと, or Hashimoto.
  • Page 7, the instructor: "The three people of the Ryuushi Haimei Oil Painting Section!"
    • The original Japanese: "流石海美油絵科三人衆!!"
    • 流石:Sasuga, or roughly "as to be expected"
    • 海美: Kaibi, an abbreviation of the name of the prep school, 海南美実学院(Kainan Bijutsu Gakuin), roughly "Kainan Fine Arts Academy"
    • 油絵科: Oil painting, specifically oil painting class or subject
    • 三人衆: Referring to a group of three. A quick google search shows that this may refer to a historical group of three people from Japanese history, the Miyoshi Sannninnshuu, although it also appears to be used colloquially to refer to a group of three people who dominate over the rest.
  • Page 10, one of those three: "How's that third grader who came in suddenly the other day?"
    • Naturally, English audience are going to read that and initially understand "third grader" as "that 9-year old who is in the third year of elementary school". "Third-year" or "senior" would have been a better pick.
  • Page 11, Nagatoro: "Negative harassment... are you being?"
    • Original Japanese: "ねちねち嫌がらせされてんスか", closer to "Are you being [negatively] harassed? Of course in English, people would naturally infer that harassment is negative, so including it may be very slightly closer to the original japanese but it sounds awkward and repetitive in english. Also keep in mind that Japanese sentence structure is in many instances opposite of English, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are speaking backwards.
  • Page 19, Senpai: "So far what I've done is not even worthy of a place in a gala..."
    • Original Japanese: "ガラにもない事してるだけで”
    • He isn't talking about an art gala. The phrase "ガラにもない/gara ni mo nai" refers to "being out of character or unlike oneself". So he's referring to his actions about going up to Machida and associating with those three as being something uncharacteristic of himself.
  • Page 20, Nagatoro: "Thanks for taking care of him. My senpai is...!"
    • Original Japanese: お世話になってます、ウチのセンパイが。。。!
    • Again, it's important to keep in mind that while Japanese sentence structure can be the exact opposite of English, it doesn't necessarily mean that it should be translated that way, as you've done. In this instance, she is actually saying the sentence out of order in order to emphasize that Hachioji is her senpai. Formally, the Japanese would probably be something like うちのセンパイがお世話になってます, which roughly translates to "my senpai has been in your care", (but of course you wouldn't want to actually translate it super literally because it loses the attitude, intonations and implications of what she's actually trying to say.)
Overall, I really wish moving forward that you'd treat this manga with more care and respect when you approach the translation. Many parts of it were very clearly run through a translation software with missing context, and these were only some of the errors that I spotted in your translation. The many Nagatoro fans out there who do not have the privilege of understanding Japanese deserve better.

Well, I've been reading Nagatoro for years, but this TL really was butchered, I understand fan translation is a hobby and does favor to the non native readers, but damn, run it through a PR at least if you MTL. And why the name switch? Isn't the English title "Don't toy with me Nagatoro"? Why change it to "bully"?

Users who are viewing this thread