Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 19 Ch. 141 - I'm... I'm fighting for myself and for senpai!!

xwQOVDo.png
you read my mind i thought of this exact meme

Supporter
My active days are a fair bit in the past, but I'd say it's about 99% bullshit for the sake of drama. Becoming deadlocked in a battle of strength is something that might maybe happen as you struggle for position and initiative, and even then very rarely if ever in a long struggle like these two had. Things are usually more nuanced, and leave more room for technique and mobility. That is the hard part of the fight. But that struggle is already over here: Nagatoro already has position, initiative and momentum. She already has her center of gravity below that of her opponent, is already in the motion of throwing. She already has her by the metaphorical balls. Countering from that position will be next to impossible, Orihara's best chance would be either trying to slip out to the side or twisting her body and interfering with the throw so that it isn't clean enough to result in an ippon.

A grappling battle on the ground would be a different story. There you have battles of strength quite frequently.
Thank you much. 😊 (y)

From the little bit I've heard about judo (that it focuses on using the opponent's momentum against them) and from physics, it didn't make sense that she could finish the throw after a pause… if for some reason she hadn't been able to finish the throw in one motion, while she had the momentum.

Although I should note that if the hilarious rescript composed by @dalnirath were true, Orihara's balls wouldn't be metaphorical. ;)

Dex-chan lover
From the little bit I've heard about judo (that it focuses on using the opponent's momentum against them) and from physics, it didn't make sense that she could finish the throw after a pause… if for some reason she hadn't been able to finish the throw in one motion, while she had the momentum.
If you want to see how such a dropping shoulder throw looks in actual practice:

Dex-chan lover
I promise I'm not trying to be that guy, but this arc is getting reeaaalllyyyyyy drawn out at this point. The fight panels are cool but it feels like we're never going to get past this dual competition arc lmao
Let 774 cook, volume needs some padding before the confession if I had to guess

Fed-Kun's army
If you want to see how such a dropping shoulder throw looks in actual practice:
Same as you, my practicing days are long past; Seoi-otoshi was my go-to in matches, I can confirm that the only way a struggle like the one depicted in the manga could happen is if Nagatoro botched her initiative and misplaced her gravity center, allowing Orihara to subdue her with grappling techniques, none of which look like the one drawn in this chapter.
the final Ippon shout is almost a guarantee that Nagatoro won, now it depends if that was on time.
I guess that it isn't, this outcome would allow for Nagatoro to get her win over Orihara in sentiment only, and Orihara to continue to the Olympics to pursue her dream.

Dex-chan lover
Was it in time though?
If it wasn't then the referee is a complete joke, you don't call a point if it was out of time.
But yeah, that could fulfill my prediction of a technical win for Orihara that would leave her unsatisfied with the result, opening the way to the inevitable dramatic confrontation between her and Nagatoro

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If it wasn't then the referee is a complete joke, you don't call a point if it was out of time
Referee isn't responsible for keeping time, there's a dedicated timekeeper for that. And there's every possibility that the manga has suppressed the gong ring being shown to the reader for dramatization reasons, just as it has done with Nagatoro not completing the throw in one sweep motion.

Dex-chan lover
I'm a bit divided with the resolution of the match. Not exactly about who won, but on how Nagatoro managed to achieve the throw.

So far we've seen many acknowledgements to Nagatoro "soft" technique that was quite legendary, and played well with her black cat blob/noodle monster sheananigans and even a former nickname. Also during the training camp she came to the realisation that her usual "soft" unpredictable technique was her strength and she didn't need a killer move like Orihara's throw. Putting all that together, its kinda anticlimactic that she managed to throw Orihara by just overpowering her with brute force.

On the other hand, that brute force is indeed a new skill that she developed because of the regular and intense training, now that she came back to judo and has been practicing really hard for many months. And it was Senpai that made her aware of it during that very special moment when she put herself in her most vulnerable state for his sake, the nude modelling. So in the end it is her rekindled passion and dedication to judo that gave her this possibility, inspired by Naoto who encouraged her all this time.

Double-page supporter
Orihara didn't want to lose to Nagatoro so she should have stalled for time instead of dahsing forward. Maybe she respected Nagatoro's spirit, but Orihara has basically lost now

She already won the match though? There is no winning or losing by more than one point in judo - first one to score an ippon (full point) directly or by getting two waza-ari (half points) wins the match.

What's odd is that they still use yuko in this manga, this score has been done away with in 2017, after they've already removed the koka in 2008. Is this chapter this old or was the author just not aware of the change?
Thank you for explaining this! I was so confused about what a Waza-ari was! I knew "Ippon" meant "KO" or "Full Point" but I didn't know you had to combine 2 Waza-ari to form 1 Ippon! If this is true... Nagatoro won cuz of the Ippon or lost due to timeout. This is so thrilling! haha

WHERE IS YOSHI'S AHOGE IN PAGE 4? WHERE IS IT?
oh God....it has finally gains sentient and left to repopulate, we are doomed
I also wondered about this! That ahoge is too powerful! We're all gonna get Isekai'd! D=

Dex-chan lover
Goat recognizes goat
SmartSelect_20231212_161140_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Oh my God, imagine being so good at something and finding someone to meet your match with a title in dispute that doesn't really matter anyways because your only concern is the one in front of you and living in the moment.

¡Gracias y Salud!

5686520ce5892b7f47bd319558612872.jpg

I Predict that Nagatoro lose by just 1-2 points. it would be nice if she truly won in the end.
It's not point based. Ippon is the end of match, whoever ippons their opponent wins automatically. She won, and there's no ifs ands or buts about it.

Double-page supporter
My active days are a fair bit in the past, but I'd say it's about 99% bullshit for the sake of drama. Becoming deadlocked in a battle of strength is something that might maybe happen as you struggle for position and initiative, and even then very rarely if ever in a long struggle like these two had. Things are usually more nuanced, and leave more room for technique and mobility. That is the hard part of the fight. But that struggle is already over here: Nagatoro already has position, initiative and momentum. She already has her center of gravity below that of her opponent, is already in the motion of throwing. She already has her by the metaphorical balls. Countering from that position will be next to impossible, Orihara's best chance would be either trying to slip out to the side or twisting her body and interfering with the throw so that it isn't clean enough to result in an ippon.

A grappling battle on the ground would be a different story. There you have battles of strength quite frequently.

I have finished drop seoi on people bigger and stronger than me this exact same way.

Orihara's base is too compromised; if she tried to circle out she'd get thrown immediately. Her only recourse that far in is exactly what she does- try to hunker down and get heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread