Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Senpai! Let's go to the sea~!!

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, sorry, not feeling normalfag as a translation for riajuu. For one using a slur isn't exactly implicated in riajuu soooo...

That said, Nagatoro has stacked friends. Was more amused by them going noodly too around Noodletoro.

Double-page supporter
This chapter was too amazing for me to process. Biggest cliff-hanger ever, lol. Their reactions.

Count me as another against the Normalfag translation. It feels too mean and makes Senpai look like some r/incel parody.

If you're feefees are hurt by normalfag then guess what, you're one. feel free to put up your own translation

Normalfag is the correct term and has been for over a decade.
Normies is the recent term used by normalfags; otherwise they wouldn't be worried about saying faggot, unless they already have other normalfag friends and don't want to get caught saying a no-no word.

@Griff I dunno, "Normie" I've seen in these contexts being used to localize less pejorative instances. Ex. TSP's used it in Wotakoi to describe Naoya when everyone realized he's not an otaku like them and completely isn't following their conversation. But they weren't being hateful about that reference in that context.

Normalfag unquestionably carries an air of disdain. We've seen Senpai here is a resentful loner outside of Nagatoro's forced company, he generally doesn't seem to like being with people and avoids them when possible. So it definitely feels like he is not being matter- of-fact or calling them riajuu as a term of endearment, he's definitely being hateful in his head toward Nagatoro and her friends.

Personally, I think it "normalfag" looks and reads weird in English, but better carries the attitude he's likely reflecting in referring to them than "normie" does- but what alternatives would there be to localize this term? That being said, I concur with its usage here.

Double-page supporter
I was kinda upset by the translation, but then I saw the group. Need to check my expectations next time.

Dex-chan lover
Riajuu translates as "someone who is interested in real things and has a successful social life". There's definitely an air of condescension to the term when you consider its usual usage. However, when it's all said and done, it's an antonym for otaku, which would be normal people or normies.

Oh my god, people is crying because the translators used "normalfag" for Riajuu...

Dex-chan lover
Pigtails kouhai has some degree of plump compared to the other two, not Methonium grade, but as a pal used to say "just more to grab".

imo, since normalf** is partially derived from the
f
-word and originates from the toxic, right-wing, homophobic, white male gamer dominated cesspool of 4chan, this chapter should be removed and "/a/nonymous" (why are their slashes?) and their uploaders should be banned from this site, thanks

Dex-chan lover
I like how people are acting as if normalfag is like 8 magnitudes more of a pejorative than normie or whatever. They mean the exact same thing, and their use and intention therein are the exact same too. The only distinguishing factor you can point to is the -fag suffix (obviously), which sure, sounds negative if you're unfamiliar with it. However, the only meaning to -fag is "person who belongs to group" and at this point isn't even close to being inherently negative, aside from its loose and at this point basically archaic association with Faggot, as people have no problems denoting themselves as such or attaching it to positively viewed groups.

Basically, normalfags need to stop trying to act like they have any problem with it other than that they saw fag, assumed the worst because words are SCaaAAaRyyyy, and had their poor sensibilities and/or feelings offended.

Users who are viewing this thread